Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

He'd probably have a heart attack or stroke upon setting foot on IU's campus after being on the, ummmmmm, super-ultra-mega-conservative Liberty campus lol

Coastal Carolina is listed as a "party school", so I don't think IU would be too shocking. But I assume he's got a bigger buyout than most candidates, so that might take him out of the running. 

On 10/23/2023 at 3:58 PM, IU_FanClub said:

While I think Randel El would be cool, it feels like something that could turn into a total disaster also. Seems like a really high ceiling low floor type of situation. That being said if we hired him I would be behind him 100%

Total disaster. Indiana football is not the climate for on the job training. Hiring to him as an AHC/Passing game coordinator or whatever with a pay raise is one thing, hiring him to take on a massive rebuild would be an unmitigated disaster. 

Brian Hartline is the only name without previous head coaching experience I could be talked into given his ability to recruit, but if you haven't been a head coach before you shouldn't get a phone call. If IU screws this up...again....could be the end of it. 

2 hours ago, Demo said:

I did not need this face this morning. And the amazing thing is that he raised a kid that’s probably worse.

Blasphemy!  lol

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Total disaster. Indiana football is not the climate for on the job training. Hiring to him as an AHC/Passing game coordinator or whatever with a pay raise is one thing, hiring him to take on a massive rebuild would be an unmitigated disaster. 

Brian Hartline is the only name without previous head coaching experience I could be talked into given his ability to recruit, but if you haven't been a head coach before you shouldn't get a phone call. If IU screws this up...again....could be the end of it. 

The end!?!? We could be the first to reach 800 losses. Be optimistic, we're just getting started.

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Do not under estimate IUFB's ability to screw something up.  It takes something special to be the first to 700 losses.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Do not under estimate IUFB's ability to screw something up.  It takes something special to be the first to 700 losses.

I think this is impossible to under estimate.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Very true. Just surprised to see so many posts advocating ARE. 

My favorite IUFB player ever, but I'm not sure he'd be in my top 100 on any official coach wish list. 

Edited by IndyResident16

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Very true. Just surprised to see so many posts advocating ARE. 

My favorite IUFB player ever, but I'm not sure he'd be in my top 100 on any official coach wish list. 

IU's version of Coach Prime? Not really in the same ballpark, but it's all we got

3 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

IU's version of Coach Prime? Not really in the same ballpark, but it's all we got

Minus the public image and the track record of building a program, I guess. ARE name doesn't resonate with recruits like Prime.

In fact, I would be shocked if most 16-17 year old kids knew who ARE even is.  

15 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Minus the public image and the track record of building a program, I guess. ARE name doesn't resonate with recruits like Prime.

In fact, I would be shocked if most 16-17 year old kids knew who ARE even is.  

This ain't going to happen. Football has a lot more moving parts than say basketball to just throw the keys to a complete newbie. People mentioning him cannot really be serious. He has zero experience at anything necessary to run a program let alone being a head coach on Saturdays. Hell even CTA was a high school head coach which according to one recruit, was obvious by the lack of organization of IU's practices. This kinda stuff matters if you want to recruit and stay competitive. A name (and is he really a name?) will only get you so far. 

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

This ain't going to happen. Football has a lot more moving parts than say basketball to just throw the keys to a complete newbie. People mentioning him cannot be really serious. He has zero experience at anything necessary to run a program let alone being a head coach on Saturdays. Hell even CTA was a high school head coach which according to one recruit, was obvious by the lack of organization of IU's practices. This kinda stuff matters if you want to recruit and stay competitive. A name (and is he really a name?) will only get you so far. 

100% agree

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This ain't going to happen. Football has a lot more moving parts than say basketball to just throw the keys to a complete newbie. People mentioning him cannot really be serious. He has zero experience at anything necessary to run a program let alone being a head coach on Saturdays. Hell even CTA was a high school head coach which according to one recruit, was obvious by the lack of organization of IU's practices. This kinda stuff matters if you want to recruit and stay competitive. A name (and is he really a name?) will only get you so far. 

And by obvious, I meant obviously he'd only been the head guy for a high school. His lack of running a bigger type of program shows in many ways. IU, no matter what they do or who they hire, CANNOT and will not go down that road again any time soon. If they do, we as fans should 100% not care at all anymore. This is a huge hire to get right. Not everyone has to agree with it 100% but it can't be a hire that 80% off the fans are not on board with. 

38 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

On top of why it would be a bad idea as mentioned above, it wouldn't really be IU's version of Coach Prime anyways. He's not as well known or flamboyant as Sanders and Sanders played at Florida State, not Colorado. Sanders was also a head coach at Jackson State for a few years before heading to Colorado.

I see no way it would be similar to the hiring of Deion Sanders. Not even a poor man's version. It would be nothing like that. It would just be a bad idea.

8 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

And by obvious, I meant obviously he'd only been the head guy for a high school. His lack of running a bigger type of program shows in many ways. IU, no matter what they do or who they hire, CANNOT and will not go down that road again any time soon. If they do, we as fans should 100% not care at all anymore. This is a huge hire to get right. Not everyone has to agree with it 100% but it can't be a hire that 80% off the fans are not on board with. 

My guy is Willie Fritz. Most people with scoff at that idea primarily due to his age, but Willie Fritz is exactly the blood this program needs. Every job he's touched...he's improved. And not only improved but left said program in much better shape than he found it. IU needs a 5-6 year guy to come in an immediately change the culture and leave a sturdy foundation. Willie Fritz has made a career out of this spanning multiple levels of collegiate football. 

To be clear... our program isn't a "massive rebuild"... It's just a build. You can't rebuild something that's never been built in the first place. 

ARE is still tops on my list. No one else is convincing kids to come to IU, staying long-term, isn't a bum (Meyer, Briles)... plus... knows ball. But, anyone who knows ARE/has been around ARE should know his personality, among other character qualities that he has... is what would actually give us a sustained chance. 

Brian Hartline would be here for about 8 months and he's moving on. Nearly every person we'd hire.. would be a stepping stone. 

Kane Wommack-- I guess, I would be fine with that. 

Rick Neuheisel? No. 

63 year old Willie Fritz? No. What recruit would he be able to convince to come to IU? 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I am 100% serious. ARE is undoubtedly one of our best options. I have yet to read a name, a realistic name, that jumps off the screen as "auto" better than ARE. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I am 100% serious. ARE is undoubtedly one of our best options. I have yet to read a name, a realistic name, that jumps off the screen as "auto" better than ARE. 

Sorry, I just can't get on board with a guy who's never lead any sort of program. His staff better be amazing. I am also leery of a person who may not enjoy cussing from his assistant coaches if you catch my drift. I know that's a touchy subject on these boards, but it's just not my cup of tea when it comes to head coaches.