Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2023-24 IUBB ROSTER

3 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

Also changes the lineup quite a bit. JHS/Gallo able to guard SG,SF primarily would’ve been a much better matchup for us against Miami. X is a dog but IU without a small/quick guard forced them into playing unfavorable lineups pretty consistently (@MD, Iowa, Miami, Mich St). 

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Would Pack have even scored on XJ?

Would pack have been able to stop XJ? XJ probably grabs 15 of those rebounds and Miami would barely be able to score.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would pack have been able to stop XJ? XJ probably grabs 15 of those rebounds and Miami would barely be able to score.

XJ had a knack for getting under the opposing teams players.  He would have frustrated the heck out of Pack

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

XJ had a knack for getting under the opposing teams players.  He would have frustrated the heck out of Pack

Who would have shot the FTs when XJ got a tech? Would XJ have been guarding Pack and/or Wong and/or any of their other guards when they were wide open from deep behind the line? Would XJ have been able to grab all of the rebounds that led to 5,529 second chance points for Miami?

Yes, XJ would have helped in this game. We might have been able to keep it within single digits has XJ had an above average game. It amazes me players before eleventy times themselves when not available. We would have kept the game closer if Geronimo and/or Bates played half as well as many projected them over last off-season. Miami was the far better team in that game. Our "advantage" in that game failed to rebound after playing pretty solid first shot defense.

Let's actually get better this off-season and do better in the regular and post seasons next year.

18 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Who would have shot the FTs when XJ got a tech? Would XJ have been guarding Pack and/or Wong and/or any of their other guards when they were wide open from deep behind the line? Would XJ have been able to grab all of the rebounds that led to 5,529 second chance points for Miami?

Yes, XJ would have helped in this game. We might have been able to keep it within single digits has XJ had an above average game. It amazes me players before eleventy times themselves when not available. We would have kept the game closer if Geronimo and/or Bates played half as well as many projected them over last off-season. Miami was the far better team in that game. Our "advantage" in that game failed to rebound after playing pretty solid first shot defense.

Let's actually get better this off-season and do better in the regular and post seasons next year.

I didn’t say we would win, I just think he could have frustrated Pack, the others we don’t know exactly how it would have played out.  I say we still struggle in all those categories but losing XJ definitely changed the dynamic of this team.  Putting pressure on the ball changes the dynamic of this team and the way we played defensively.  We lacked that after XJ went down.  

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I didn’t say we would win, I just think he could have frustrated Pack, the others we don’t know exactly how it would have played out.  I say we still struggle in all those categories but losing XJ definitely changed the dynamic of this team.  Putting pressure on the ball changes the dynamic of this team and the way we played defensively.  We lacked that after XJ went down.  

It's possible he frustrates Pack. It's possible XJ picks up a quick second foul and sits for the majority of the first half because someone started showing him up. It's possible XJ gets a tech while running his mouth too. XJ would have been our best on ball defender but he wasn't immune to getting beat by his defender. When he was healthy we saw teams take advantage of our weak side defender shading more towards the lane and some of our slower defenders. Miami had a team fulls of guards/small wings with XJ speed and quickness that were hitting outside shots. Our defense most likely still gets caught in rotation with Kopp, Bates, Gallo, JHS, etc not being quick enough to close out to the shooter. There is evidence to that before XJ went down and I believe a few mentioned it early in the season.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

UPDATED

Guards (pending Xavier's likely waiver)

1. X Johnson
  2. A Leal
  3. T Galloway
  4. G Cupps

Wings

1. K Banks
  2. CJ Gunn
  3. J Newton

Posts/Bigs

1. M Reneau
  2. Kel’el Ware
  3. P. Sparks

Would you slot Ledlum in as a wing? How about Knecht?

Are any other visits scheduled other than DeLoach this weekend?

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Would you slot Ledlum in as a wing? How about Knecht?

Are any other visits scheduled other than DeLoach this weekend?

Knecht they see as a 2 or 3.  Ledlum 3,4 but primarily a 3.  

Gunn 2,3.  Banks 3,4

if we are lucky enough to get Knecht/Ledlum, I’d think we would look for someone that can play PG in a pinch.  

12 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

We don’t need DeLoach now.

All along I felt he was a good player and on this roster, just not a great fit. He fits a bit better next to a floor-spacing 5 like Ware than he would next to Shedrick. I’m with @WayneFleekHoosier on this, if they add Ledlum and Knecht then PG insurance would be my last wish

2 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

3 spots still open, but the 10 currently on roster can compete with anyone on any given night

I wouldn't go that far just yet, but I do think when its all said and done, we will have that kind of roster. The backcourt is still pretty thin and wings still unproven. We will be in great shape if Banks and/or Gunn take a big leap forward.  

Add Ledlum and I'd say yes we can compete with anyone on any given night. Add Knecht or a similar quality guard/wing, and I'd say we could be consistently competitive. If we have mental toughness too, could be pretty scary for our opponents!

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

All along I felt he was a good player and on this roster, just not a great fit. He fits a bit better next to a floor-spacing 5 like Ware than he would next to Shedrick. I’m with @WayneFleekHoosier on this, if they add Ledlum and Knecht then PG insurance would be my last wish

I like it, I forgot we do need insurance at point guard

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

why?

Because he's a long, super-high motor, positive locker room presence, talented, proven effective big. If he wants to join the IU basketball team? That's kinda hard to say no to.