Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

nerdvana

UCLA and USC Joining the Big Ten

1 hour ago, Southside said:

Still likely below the SEC once TX and OK join even with USC/UCLA.

Need to keep making moves. ND is the big prize in just about every way, especially media.

I think they negotiate their next rights deal after the SEC, which is an advantage for the B1G. 

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I think they negotiate their next rights deal after the SEC, which is an advantage for the B1G. 

I'm not sure of all the Ts & Cs. I know the last SEC/ESPN deal was done at the end of 2020, but it doesn't start till 2024, and last for 10 years. 

And it happened before TX and OK jumped. So I'm assuming either they have something in the contract that addresses team additions, or they will likely have to renegotiate an addendum or two. 

At this point, both confs have 16 committed, but everyone knows the B10 is going to min 18 (public knowledge they're waiting on ND, and they're not going to have an odd number). So you have to imagine the SEC will make a move in the next 6 months to at minimum go up to 18. 

I'm guessing they stop at 20, but would not be shocked to see them go to 24. 

A sweet and sour comment from Lunardi:

"As for historic impact in men's basketball, no right-thinking person could argue the Big Ten is a good thing for the Bruins or Trojans. Is either going to outgun the Michigan States and Indianas on a year-in, year-out basis? And the example of Nebraska football sliding toward irrelevance in the Big Ten is a not-so-insignificant corollary. " https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34173740/what-ucla-usc-moves-pac-12-big-ten-mean-college-basketball

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

A sweet and sour comment from Lunardi:

"As for historic impact in men's basketball, no right-thinking person could argue the Big Ten is a good thing for the Bruins or Trojans. Is either going to outgun the Michigan States and Indianas on a year-in, year-out basis? And the example of Nebraska football sliding toward irrelevance in the Big Ten is a not-so-insignificant corollary. " https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34173740/what-ucla-usc-moves-pac-12-big-ten-mean-college-basketball

Purely my opinion, but I see no comp at all with Nebraska.

USC and UCLA come from one of the richest recruiting states for all sports. And I'd think the Cali kids will actually find the B10 more attractive. A lot of Cali kids leave Cali, especially for FB. Not all that sure on BB. But for FB at least, this might actually help them recruiting wise. And if you're a Cali kid and want to stay home, your options just got clearer. 

Lincoln Riley is already making headway at USC. I'm a little surprised CKelly hasn't seen more progress at UCLA. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, AKHoosier said:

That means nothing.

The Big Ten's reported wish list of ND, Oregon, UNC, and Stanford disagrees with that sentiment.

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Big Ten's reported wish list of ND, Oregon, UNC, and Stanford disagrees with that sentiment.

Stanford strokes the B1G academics ego while also adding huge value to a TV deal simply by being in the Bay Area market. I'd guess they're very much in play.

33 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Herbstreit sees teams like IU football eventually getting kicked out of the club: Daily Hoosier article

Just read the article.  Not sure his comments about getting left out include IU.  Current  Power 5 teams like Washington State, Oregon State, Wake Forest, Duke, Kansas, etc could be in serious  trouble.

I think already being in the Big Ten insulates IU, PU, and NW.  If IU was currently in the Pac12 or Big12 instead?  Yeah, that would be time to worry.

A lot depends on the size of the breakaway.  If it's 32 teams, IU has no chance.  If it's 48, we are on the bubble.  If it's 55+, we have very little to worry about.

Edited by 5fouls

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just read the article.  Not sure his comments about getting left out include IU.  Current  Power 5 teams like Washington State, Oregon State, Wake Forest, Duke, Kansas, etc could be in serious  trouble.

I think already being in the Big Ten insulates IU, PU, and NW.  If IU was currently in the Pac12 or Big12 instead?  Yeah, that would be time to worry.

A lot depends on the size of the breakaway.  If it's 32 teams, IU has no chance.  If it's 48, we are on the bubble.  If it's 55+, we have very little to worry about.

I halfheartedly floated this idea elsewhere on the topic, but if the “P2 Superconference” college football model breaks away from the NCAA and becomes the “official” minor league of pro football, how about IU and Purdue become minor league affiliates for the Colts? 

2 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Stanford strokes the B1G academics ego while also adding huge value to a TV deal simply by being in the Bay Area market. I'd guess they're very much in play.

I’ve thought they were in play since the USC/UCLA move became public.  
Stanford  academics is icing on the cake but the BT would not care at all about Stanford academics if the campus happened to be located in a small tv market such as the middle of North Dakota. 

Is the Bay Area crazy about college sports? Nope, but the BT is still going to want to have a foothold in that large tv market and is not going to leave the Bay Area tv market wide open for the Big 12/Pac10. They have LA and will want the Bay Area. It’s all about tv eyeballs/$$$$$$$$$$.

2 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

I halfheartedly floated this idea elsewhere on the topic, but if the “P2 Superconference” college football model breaks away from the NCAA and becomes the “official” minor league of pro football, how about IU and Purdue become minor league affiliates for the Colts? 

As a Colts fan I would say Purdue and IU better start getting better players.

18 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Stanford  academics is icing on the cake but the BT would not care at all about Stanford academics if the campus happened to be located in a small tv market such as the middle of North Dakota. 

Is the Bay Area crazy about college sports? Nope, but the BT is still going to want to have a foothold in that large tv market and is not going to leave the Bay Area tv market wide open for the Big 12/Pac10. They have LA and will want the Bay Area. It’s all about tv eyeballs/$$$$$$$$$$.

I think that ultimately USC and UCLA would like to have some competition closer to home as well.

23 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

What's the water polo team gonna do?

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

I think that ultimately USC and UCLA would like to have some competition closer to home as well.

Yep, that’s also part of the reason I have assumed that Stanford is in play.  Same time zone/tv market size puts Stanford and Washington in play while Oregon has the same time zone/decent following/Nike cache working.

USC-UCLA/Stanford/Washington/Oregon would result in the BT taking over the West Coast from an “interest” and “tv eyeball” perspective.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I like the additions because, let's be honest, the SEC will poach Ohio State and Michigan if the Big Ten doesn't keep up financially. Poach or be poached. 

I wonder if 6-12 years from now OSU, UM, PSU question why they are giving IU, PU and NW an equal share of the conference money and if Bama, Georgia, Texas wonder why they are giving an equal share to Miss State, Vandy, UK.

A super conference, not currently on our radar, might evolve.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

As a Colts fan I would say Purdue and IU better start getting better players.

Maybe that should include coaches, as well.  IU has a golden ticket to the big boy conference, which makes it a desirable location for coaches at schools on the outside who want to get in.