Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

I don’t subscribe to The Athletic so haven’t read the article, but the items posted are interesting and IU with a specific mention.

23 hours ago, btownqb said:

What have Loyer and Furst developed? I don't really think we've missed on much talent at all from the FW area in BASKETBALL. The HS basketball isn't that good there, the lack of recruits show that. I don't want Loyer or Furst. 

Football on the other hand, football is big time. And we HAVE missed on a lot of recruits there. Tons, some I'm not sure we will ever get in on... any kid that goes to Dwenger, for example, and ND offers--- is going to ND. It doesn't matter what Indiana does...

multiple FW kids, in football, have gone to OSU in recent years, as well. We will never win recruiting battles against OSU. 

Luers, Dwenger, Snider, and Homestead are excellent football programs. Others have talent. The FW programs in basketball don't/haven't matched that talent. 

Excuse me -- No Self Imposed Limitations.  Coach Cig out.  :)   

14 minutes ago, Demo said:

I don’t subscribe to The Athletic so haven’t read the article, but the items posted are interesting and IU with a specific mention.

You're not missing anything else; that was from a mailbag and that was the whole answer.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

So spend more time in FW because 4 years into college there's a player that might develop into a decent backup 5? I'll pass. That's the context of the discussion. 

Guess where Hatton is from? Hubers country lol 

And it's not just NE Indiana that is ignored, it's the entire northern part of the state. RMK use to get lots of guys from around South Bend and "The Region". Abernathy, Laskowski, even Dakich. We have gotten one in the last 15 years or so-- the kid from South Bend that was supposed to be a great shooter, and turned out not to be so much. Basically, anything Marion and north is being ignored.

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Huber’s isn’t 77 miles from Btown. I’d guess it’s around 60, if that. Donations are the reason for that event not for a recruiting advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I can understand Huber from a fundraising standpoint. But when it's pointed out all the talent in the area, and yet one kid has committed to IU from that neck of the woods in the recent past, I don't buy  it as a recruiting gem.

53 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Huber’s isn’t 77 miles from Btown. I’d guess it’s around 60, if that. Donations are the reason for that event not for a recruiting advantage.

We realize that. 

And yes, Hubers is 100% 77 miles from Bloomington. Check a map, we aren't crows. Even then it's more than 60. 

image.thumb.png.4dd0965abfd25b46dceb910c2d8368ca.png

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think to Steuben's point, Indiana writes off the state basically north of Kokomo by not having any events up this direction.  And to be really frank, they don't do much outside of Huber's for anything. (Talking outside of Bloomington)

On 5/8/2024 at 1:15 PM, btownqb said:

What have Loyer and Furst developed? I don't really think we've missed on much talent at all from the FW area in BASKETBALL. The HS basketball isn't that good there, the lack of recruits show that. I don't want Loyer or Furst. 

Football on the other hand, football is big time. And we HAVE missed on a lot of recruits there. Tons, some I'm not sure we will ever get in on... any kid that goes to Dwenger, for example, and ND offers--- is going to ND. It doesn't matter what Indiana does...

multiple FW kids, in football, have gone to OSU in recent years, as well. We will never win recruiting battles against OSU. 

Luers, Dwenger, Snider, and Homestead are excellent football programs. Others have talent. The FW programs in basketball don't/haven't matched that talent. 

Living in the Fort, this is pretty spot on.  I honestly cannot remember a kid from here becoming a high level college player.  There have been a decent amount of high level recruits, but they do not really materialize for some reason.  To be fair, no one gives a sh!t about southern indiana high school players either; Romeo was just a recruiting win.

It all comes to winning for football.  If IU wins, more recruits will turn their heads.  IU just needs to win

34 minutes ago, el drado said:

Living in the Fort, this is pretty spot on.  I honestly cannot remember a kid from here becoming a high level college player.  There have been a decent amount of high level recruits, but they do not really materialize for some reason.  To be fair, no one gives a sh!t about southern indiana high school players either; Romeo was just a recruiting win.

It all comes to winning for football.  If IU wins, more recruits will turn their heads.  IU just needs to win

Guess Deshaun Thomas making 1st team All-B1G and 2nd team All-American or Caleb Swanigan being 1st team All-
American and B1G POY don't constitute being a "high level college player."

1 hour ago, steubenhoosier said:

And it's not just NE Indiana that is ignored, it's the entire northern part of the state. RMK use to get lots of guys from around South Bend and "The Region". Abernathy, Laskowski, even Dakich. We have gotten one in the last 15 years or so-- the kid from South Bend that was supposed to be a great shooter, and turned out not to be so much. Basically, anything Marion and north is being ignored.

Have any of the IU coaches articulated any type of recruiting strategy?  Seems to me it's been about chasing a bunch of shiny things.  

My own philosophy is:

1)  Dominate the state

2)  Be uber competitive in the region (IL, OH, KY, etc.)

3)  Then grab a 5* or two nationally.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Have any of the IU coaches articulated any type of recruiting strategy?  Seems to me it's been about chasing a bunch of shiny things.  

My own philosophy is:

1)  Dominate the state

2)  Be uber competitive in the region (IL, OH, KY, etc.)

3)  Then grab a 5* or two nationally.  

Verbatim what Archie said he would do... 

then didn't scout correctly 

Guess Deshaun Thomas making 1st team All-B1G and 2nd team All-American or Caleb Swanigan being 1st team All-

Two in 15 years.  And IU never had any chance with one of those no matter how much time they would have spent up here.

I believe Swanigan moved here later in life with the help of Barnes....i guess you can say he was from here?  They were writing articles about Thomas when he was in middle school.  You are right he had success, but i don't think anyone would say he lived up to the hype. 

I honestly love having Ft Wayne bball kids do well, even if they don't go to IU, but they never live up to the hype coming out of high school.  That is why losing Furst was never upsetting to me.

On 5/8/2024 at 11:26 PM, LamarCheeks said:

I wrote that according to those rankings, we were No. 14 and the top B1G team. ... UCLA being No. 25 doesn't change that. 

Oh I misread the chart. Assumed it went down not across 

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Why Theo Pinson didn't choose IU in 14

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/5-star-class-of-2014-recruit-shares-why-he-didnt-choose-tom-crean-and-indiana/

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Good article. I remember well the back and forth on whether Crean’s summer programs and practices were too much, weighed along with how well he / his system developed guys.
This is where the idea that some throw out that it was just the players, like Vic, it was entirely the player not the development, comes up empty. A guy like Vic had an incredible work ethic, but so do many guys at this level, it’s how they got here. How that work ethic and athleticism is developed can be the difference in whether the same player ever reaches his potential. Troy for me is a big example. Wildly out of control early on, all athleticism, by the time he got himself into the NBA he had a fairly good outside shot, a much much better handle and a far better understanding of the floor.