Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

For those interested, John Fanta, Fox’s Big East guy, was in Bloomington for practice today and has several observations in his feed. Nothing super noteworthy except, maybe, more validation that Tucker is outplaying most of our expectations.

John Fanta
@John_Fanta
·
1h
Mackenzie Mgbako looks as advertised as the reigning Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Year. He grew to 6-foot-9 over the summer, added muscle to his frame + has impressed in Indiana's practice session. He checks off so many boxes and his ability to make 3s is pivotal for the Hoosiers.
John Fanta
@John_Fanta
·
1h
Indiana 4-star freshman Bryson Tucker will help the Hoosiers as a reserve this year and some around the program believe he's got the most pro upside on this roster. The 6-7 wing has added around 15 pounds of muscle since arriving to IU. Can attack off the dribble at a high level.
John Fanta
@John_Fanta
·
1h
Kanaan Carlyle is really tough to contain off the dribble with his quickness. The key for the Stanford transfer: Will he make people pay when he's left open from downtown? He's worked a lot on the shot over the summer. If he's connecting, it gives Indiana a different dimension.
·
2h
This doesn't come as a surprise, but Oumar Ballo is dominating this Indiana practice. His physicality and presence inside makes him such a tough cover. Will be a double-double machine for the Hoosiers as he was at Arizona. Another takeaway: He's made strides as a passer.
John Fanta
@John_Fanta
·
2h
Malik Reneau told me the big difference for this Indiana team from last yr is the perimeter. He said when there's pressure in the post, he feels like there's multiple go-to options that can drill the 3. Luke Goode will deliver in that column & Mackenzie Mgbako's evolved his shot.
John Fanta
@John_Fanta
·
2h
The immediate takeaway from Indiana practice: Myles Rice's leadership. He's talking a ton on both ends and is so crafty. A blur in transition. Once he gets in the open floor, something productive happens either for him or his teammates. Averaged 14.8 PPG, 3.8 APG last year. Stud.

I don't know what this season will bring, but looking at the roster it seems to be significantly better than last year. We can argue about coaching all day and all night, but just by rolling the ball out without any coach, they should still be better.

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’ll be a real tough test.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

We will learn a lot about our guards and defense. Zeigler is one of the best guards in the country. Their transfer Lanier could be really good too. Mgbako has an interesting match up with Dubar. 

42 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

First look is Sunday 3pm. 140 hours.

Anyone know if I’ll be able to go back and watch a replay on ESPN+? Bears got flexed to the late afternoon slot and that’ll be the priority. 

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Anyone know if I’ll be able to go back and watch a replay on ESPN+? Bears got flexed to the late afternoon slot and that’ll be the priority. 

Yeah you should be able to.  Go to the ESPN app and click on the college basketball icon and you should be able to watch the replay.   Watching Xavier and Dayton from the other day right now 

5 hours ago, Demo said:

For those interested, John Fanta, Fox’s Big East guy, was in Bloomington for practice today and has several observations in his feed. Nothing super noteworthy except, maybe, more validation that Tucker is outplaying most of our expectations.

Not going to compare the two players as they are different but I'll compare the situations: I think what OG was in 2015-2016 is what Tucker will be for IU in 2024-2025. 

I love Fanta on the Field of 68. I'm trying to be careful not to fall for this again, but there is so much talent on this roster. This top 8/9 will compete with anyone. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think what OG was in 2015-2016 is what Tucker will be for IU in 2024-2025. 

I can't remember a 5* recruit being as ignored as Tucker. When I listen to him talk, the confidence and maturity just shine through. Whatever success IU has this season, Tucker will be a big part of it.

8 hours ago, cthomas said:

I can't remember a 5* recruit being as ignored as Tucker. When I listen to him talk, the confidence and maturity just shine through. Whatever success IU has this season, Tucker will be a big part of it.

Part of his being ignored may be due to the fact he did not play on the '23 summer AAU circuit and get that visibility.

53 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Part of his being ignored may be due to the fact he did not play on the '23 summer AAU circuit and get that visibility.

Part of it for sure. Another may have been that his path always seemed sort of set. Early on the perception of him was that he was a virtually done deal to Mich St, to the point that a lot of schools seemed to stop working him. Then the Ignite thing happened and that was definitely the end because there was just no history of kids bailing on Ignite and going to school. If Kenya stayed in his ear that entire time when others didn’t, good for him. 

9 hours ago, cthomas said:

Even though he’s a young college freshman, that’s what I noticed about him was his confidence and maturity.  Once he gets his footing as a player, I can see him taking on a leadership role at some point in his basketball career.  He’s seems to have leadership skills