Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

Just now, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

So we've found two guys that have his framework, his abilities, whatever that are a close comp to what he can/could be... 

I think he's a long shot and is at best an Oscar Tshiebwe. 

Not convinced he's as athletic than Hanner or Bam. We'll see.  

I'm not saying he's going to be the next Bam, but Bam wasn't Bam when he showed up at UK either. He filled out immensely between his first year at UK and in his few seasons in the NBA, was drafted solely due to his measurables, and then developed the rest of his game once he became a professional player. 

I don't think Flory is as athletic as Hanner, don't think he needs to be either. But Hanner was never going to be a small ball 5 either, he didn't have the frame to support a substantial increase in body mass without sacrificing some of his athleticism. Hanner was a project that needed to develop some ball skills and game out to the perimeter in order to make it to the next level. Flory isn't that type of prospect.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://x.com/NikeEYB/status/1807816432790446485

Carlyle with an invite to Chris Paul’s Elite Guard Camp. That is a really good camp with a bunch of good guards.

Really good for two reasons:

1. Based on the selection list, that's some truly high-level company.
  2. Based on Luke Goode saying Carlyle is 6'1", he apparently has grown three inches in the past week.      ;)

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Really good for two reasons:

1. Based on the selection list, that's some truly high-level company.
  2. Based on Luke Goode saying Carlyle is 6'1", he apparently has grown three inches in the past week.      ;)

Truthfully, I trust your up close opinion of Carlyle’s height more than I trust Goode’s.

57 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It's been a rough 27 years for IU fans. I'm kind of surprised IU is that high nationally though. Top 25 isn't too bad, I guess.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2024/07/02/heres-how-every-big-ten-program-stacks-up-in-kenpom-since-1997/

Crazy that we've had two periods during those 27 years (Sampson blowup/Crean cleanup & Archie fail) that could be considered low points for the program and still came in 23rd.

6 hours ago, cybergates said:

Crazy that we've had two periods during those 27 years (Sampson blowup/Crean cleanup & Archie fail) that could be considered low points for the program and still came in 23rd.

Really goes to the point I keep coming back to when I see the inevitable we’ve been trash for the past 20 years posts. Ignoring all the success we had under Crean is silly. We had some great years under Crean, just wasn’t consistent or ultimately sustainable 

18 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Really goes to the point I keep coming back to when I see the inevitable we’ve been trash for the past 20 years posts. Ignoring all the success we had under Crean is silly. We had some great years under Crean, just wasn’t consistent or ultimately sustainable 

Some aren’t, but many fans are irrationally pessimistic.

3 years out of 9? I mean that’s a great batting average in the Majors. But for a school with blue blood fanbase and blue blood revenue it wasn’t good enough either. Will admit, I loved, loved the Zeller years.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

3 years out of 9? I mean that’s a great batting average in the Majors. But for a school with blue blood fanbase and blue blood revenue it wasn’t good enough either. Will admit, I loved, loved the Zeller years.

Senseless to count the first couple to three years, starting with zero scholly players in the dumpster fire complete rebuild after Sampsongate. Despite that the guy gave us Cody, Vic, Yogi, Wat, Hulls, OG, et al, 2 B1G champs, multiple SW16s. Yeah, no reason to ignore that

Senseless to count the first couple to three years, starting with zero scholly players in the dumpster fire complete rebuild after Sampsongate. Despite that the guy gave us Cody, Vic, Yogi, Wat, Hulls, OG, et al, 2 B1G champs, multiple SW16s. Yeah, no reason to ignore that

Can’t not count it. You can score it on some kinda curve. Everyone bought into the IU driven excuses. The school/AD screwed up in so many ways and Indiana detonated the bomb whilst holding it. The right coach and the right AD could have potentially righted the ship much more quickly than Crean did. Maybe. No one knows. Crean wasn’t a complete wash but the facts are 3 out of 8 or 9 years didn’t cut it and we never fully got “back”. I don’t think anyone writes those good seasons off. We endear them. But a fan generally saying we’ve been irrelevant for 20-30 years is generally true despite Crean having some really good seasons.

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But a fan generally saying we’ve been irrelevant for 20-30 years is generally true despite Crean having some really good seasons.

Disagree. No one's saying Crean was the right choice long term, that's right there in my initial post. But he clearly "righted the ship" from the complete destruction of the program due to Sampsongate / IU's decision on self-imposed sanctions, and we were absolutely "relevant" during several of the years under his tenure, winning the B1G, having the Nation's longest streak ranked #1, being a contender going into the tourney, etc. Ignoring the good to justify the total bad outlook doesn't do anyone justice.