Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - 01/13/22 @ 9:00 ET on FS1

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's funny - I think that for his size he does a decent job defending on the perimeter. On the interior? Yikes.

Not trying to restart the whole effort convo, but if anyone plays REALLY hard, it's Durr. He just flat out isn't very good. But in the 5 minutes he played last night I didn't see him fail to sprint the floor once.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Not trying to restart the whole effort convo, but if anyone plays REALLY hard, it's Durr. He just flat out isn't very good. But in the 5 minutes he played last night I didn't see him fail to sprint the floor once.

Cons:

• Terrible hands
  • Not physical for his size
  • No court vision
  • Lack of instincts

Pros:

• Surprisingly good shooter
  • Plays hard
  • If you have heard him interviewed -- great young man -- soft spoken, friendly, smart!

2 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

I don't trust Johnson at all with the ball in his hands, he is too inconsistent and out of control.  Same goes for the defensive end.

Rob I don't trust much but at least I know he'll play consistently great defense and stay under control on offense. 

I think this inconsistency we’ve had this year is all because of our inconsistency with our point guard play.  I don’t trust X either!  He has a low basketball IQ, he seems to have multiple personalities in the floor, especially when a call doesn’t go his way or an opposing player gets physical with him and he loses his focus and mind. Honestly, I would rather see Galloway at the point, Phinesee coming off the bench and X sitting at the end of the bench with Lander.  Matter of fact, Lander should see the floor before X.  

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

NBA teams do this type of thing in the second quarter, right? That’s my only thought of why he does this but this isn’t the NBA and we don’t have the talent to effectively pull it off. I’m hoping he figures that out but I doubt it changes as he’s done it in every game and clearly it’s part of his strategy for whatever reason

I pretty much only watch the Lakers, but Frank Vogel doesn’t usually do this. AD is hurt right now but when he’s healthy, Vogel will keep at least one of LeBron and Anthony Davis on the floor at basically all times. Ideally, Woody would keep one of Thompson/TJD on the court. If they’re in foul trouble that’s another story, but last night we went to the 5 bench lineup out of choice. 

I think this inconsistency we’ve had this year is all because of our inconsistency with our point guard play.  I don’t trust X either!  He has a low basketball IQ, he seems to have multiple personalities in the floor, especially when a call doesn’t go his way or an opposing player gets physical with him and he loses his focus and mind. Honestly, I would rather see Galloway at the point, Phinesee coming off the bench and X sitting at the end of the bench with Lander.  Matter of fact, Lander should see the floor before X.  

PG is a huge issue. A complete player on the wing is a huge issue. We have shooters who can’t defend and defenders/slashers who can’t shoot. The overall basketball intelligence on the team is low and the effort and execution aren’t much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I pretty much only watch the Lakers, but Frank Vogel doesn’t usually do this. AD is hurt right now but when he’s healthy, Vogel will keep at least one of LeBron and Anthony Davis on the floor at basically all times. Ideally, Woody would keep one of Thompson/TJD on the court. If they’re in foul trouble that’s another story, but last night we went to the 5 bench lineup out of choice. 

That's the thing I don't get.  There really only has been one time that I thought where we went to an all-bench lineup that it helped us win a game -- the Nebraska game when our starters came out so cold and the bench came in and gave us the lead.  That's it.

Our all bench lineup has zero guys that you really have to focus on defensively.  Galloway, Bates, and JG are nice role players at this point but when they aren't around other scorers, they are limited.  I think part of Bates issues as of late is who he's on the court with....put him on the court with some starters and he should get some better looks.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Cons:

• Terrible hands
  • Not physical for his size
  • No court vision
  • Lack of instincts

Pros:

• Surprisingly good shooter
  • Plays hard
  • If you have heard him interviewed -- great young man -- soft spoken, friendly, smart!

Neither of the first two pros are really translating to any value we are seeing, though.  If you are running hard in mud, you're still slow.

The third is nice.....for his post basketball career.

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I get that Woody didn't have a lot of time to construct the roster but he did bring these players in. Is there another reason it's not his fault?

What other options did he have? Xavier Johnson was considered the top available pg in the portal and he landed him. This entire roster is compiled of kids that he didn’t recruit. You can make the argument for Tamar Bates but even so, he had such little time to recruit him. We were lucky to get him at the time. Meanwhile he was immediately charged with keeping the program from complete nuclear meltdown. Dang near every player of significance, in the program, was in the portal. I’m as frustrated as anyone else but he had no shot of making this roster elite in the timeframe and situation he was given. I’m going to do my absolute best to try and judge him on how he finishes this season and goes into the next. Can he go get critical pieces in the portal this off-season? I believe Jalen Hood-Schifino is going to shore up the PG position but we need to find a suitable replacement for TJD. We need guard play desperately. XJ and Rob aren’t going to cut it. I don’t see much of a higher ceiling with those two leading our offense. 

For all you guys who jump all over my a$$ when I said Geronimo didn't play well while he was in, go look at the replay.

• 10:38 first half. Throws it away, directly leads to 3 pt basket by our favorite Hawkeye (Bohanon)
  • 9:40 first half. Falls asleep in the lane and gets beat on a cut by Murray.

Gave up 5 pts in about a minute. I'd yank him if I was coach too. 

There was plenty of blame to go around on this game. No energy from anybody other than Galloway. (who is 43% from 3 since he's come back from injury. I think his shot HAS improved)

But I was making an observation on one player during the game, and Mr Tapatalk goes Bat**** when I make a light hearted comment that my observation was different than his. That's OK. We can all disagree, but I just thought some of you over reacted without having the facts.

OK....rant done. Next.

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

For all you guys who jump all over my a$$ when I said Geronimo didn't play well while he was in, go look at the replay.

• 10:38 first half. Throws it away, directly leads to 3 pt basket by our favorite Hawkeye (Bohanon)

There was plenty of blame to go around on this game. No energy from anybody other than Galloway. (who is 43% from 3 since he's come back from injury. I think his shot HAS improved)

But I was making an observation on one player during the game, and Mr Tapatalk goes Bat**** when I make a light hearted comment that my observation was different than his. That's OK. We can all disagree, but I just thought some of you over reacted without having the facts.

OK....rant done. Next.

You were disagreed with. Most posts disagreeing with you were also light hearted. Breathe. 

6 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

PG is a huge issue. A complete player on the wing is a huge issue. We have shooters who can’t defend and defenders/slashers who can’t shoot. The overall basketball intelligence on the team is low and the effort and execution aren’t much higher.

Sums it up very well

I’d love to see this team with a great point guard. PG has been a huge problem for years. Phin and Lander were misses that have set the program back. X was just supposed to be a band aid. Hopefully Hood Schifino comes in and is as advertised. I don’t think the program  gets much better until we get a quality pg.

23 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Let’s start the second half like we did the first not our usual start to the second half.

They’re going to keep running and gunning then pressing. Let’s put TJD in the middle of the court as pressure relief so he can turn and hit a cutter going 3v2 instead of letting them pressure us into turnovers for touchdowns.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's kind of funny to read back through a few of these. Turnovers for touchdowns we threw!

4 hours ago, DWB said:

OK....rant done. Next.

You were right. Geronimo still has a lot to work on in his game to be more than a spot minutes player. He's one of the players we like so his game is typically viewed through a slightly different lens than a Durr or X.

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

I’d love to see this team with a great point guard. PG has been a huge problem for years. Phin and Lander were misses that have set the program back. X was just supposed to be a band aid. Hopefully Hood Schifino comes in and is as advertised. I don’t think the program  gets much better until we get a quality pg.

Hopes, woulda coulda shoulda. X can play much better than he has shown. He needs to get out of his own head to play his game. He needs to be put in a position to succeed and needs to be kept reeled in when he gets out of control.

5 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

What other options did he have? Xavier Johnson was considered the top available pg in the portal and he landed him. This entire roster is compiled of kids that he didn’t recruit. You can make the argument for Tamar Bates but even so, he had such little time to recruit him. We were lucky to get him at the time. Meanwhile he was immediately charged with keeping the program from complete nuclear meltdown. Dang near every player of significance, in the program, was in the portal. I’m as frustrated as anyone else but he had no shot of making this roster elite in the timeframe and situation he was given. I’m going to do my absolute best to try and judge him on how he finishes this season and goes into the next. Can he go get critical pieces in the portal this off-season? I believe Jalen Hood-Schifino is going to shore up the PG position but we need to find a suitable replacement for TJD. We need guard play desperately. XJ and Rob aren’t going to cut it. I don’t see much of a higher ceiling with those two leading our offense. 

Woody can't recruit now or didn't have time to evaluate or didn't have time to get the guys he wanted? I remember quite a bit of praising being done because he targeted the players he wanted and landed them quickly. That was followed by talk about how much better we were going to be. How many coaches switched jobs this past off-season and were able to get their guys? Texas and Texas Tech seem to be doing relatively well with first year head coaches and roster movement.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Woody can't recruit now or didn't have time to evaluate or didn't have time to get the guys he wanted? I remember quite a bit of praising being done because he targeted the players he wanted and landed them quickly. That was followed by talk about how much better we were going to be. How many coaches switched jobs this past off-season and were able to get their guys? Texas and Texas Tech seem to be doing relatively well with first year head coaches and roster movement.

Depends on how you view relatively well for Texas.   Compared to expectations with who he got to go to Texas they have been called by some in the college basketball world a disappointment.  Resume looks like IU’s only difference is they won 1 road game at Kansas St but other then that about the same.  No Q1 wins yet and 1 of their best wins was against a West Virginia team that didn’t have some their best players available.  

Texas Tech players from last year told administration they wanted  Mark Adams hired.  He was basically Beards defensive coordinator during those final 4 runs.   His system has been in place.  Pretty good culture has been set in place.   Before their big week they were still a question mark because they played 7 teams in the net 300’s.   Amazing how 1 good week can change the trajectory of a teams season.  Those guys play hard 

Depends on how you view relatively well for Texas.   Compared to expectations with who he got to go to Texas they have been called by some in the college basketball world a disappointment.  Resume looks like IU’s only difference is they won 1 road game at Kansas St but other then that about the same.  No Q1 wins yet and 1 of their best wins was against a West Virginia team that didn’t have some their best players available.  

Texas Tech players from last year told administration they wanted  Mark Adams hired.  He was basically Beards defensive coordinator during those final 4 runs.   His system has been in place.  Pretty good culture has been set in place.   Before their big week they were still a question mark because they played 7 teams in the net 300’s.   Amazing how 1 good week can change the trajectory of a teams season.  Those guys play hard 

Would love to see an IU team play as hard as a Beard team. That’s a big part of the culture. We’ll need to find a leader and a bunch of dudes that are willing to play that hard.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would love to see an IU team play as hard as a Beard team. That’s a big part of the culture. We’ll need to find a leader and a bunch of dudes that are willing to play that hard.

Beard has been frustrated this year at times because I think some of his Texas players don’t play as hard all time like his teams at Tech did.   Give him time at Texas and that will change.   Must watch game will be Texas at Texas Tech.  That might be the best environment game of the year.  Tech fans hate Beard now