Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierX

Offensive Coordinator - Walt Bell

13 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

His record at UMass aside, he does have a decent resume all across the south. I also pictured a 57 year old man with a mustache when I read this, but he’s 37. I have no idea what to make of this hire since I’m not familiar with the type of offense he runs. I have to imagine it will be better than Sheridan’s.

And exactly what embodies a 'decent resume'?  If his record as an OC is indictative of what to expect, then don't be surprised if IU goes oh-fer in the conference again.  The overriding issue is that this guy is another that coached with Allen at Arkansas State, like Hiller.  It's obvious CTA didn't want anyone messing with his 'vaunted' offensive coaching staff.  Think about it!

11 minutes ago, Scot said:

And exactly what embodies a 'decent resume'?  If his record as an OC is indictative of what to expect, then don't be surprised if IU goes oh-fer in the conference again.  The overriding issue is that this guy is another that coached with Allen at Arkansas State, like Hiller.  It's obvious CTA didn't want anyone messing with his 'vaunted' offensive coaching staff.  Think about it!

Pretty sure they didn't coach together.

Coach Alan was at Arkansas St 2011

bell was there 14-15.

What not do research before spouting off non sense.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I find it hilarious how people on a message board has any clue whether a hire is good or not.  Most couldn't even tell you who most of the assistant coaches are let alone how good they are.  I know if is part of being on these boards but some of you guys need to get a grip and let things play out before jumping to conclusions.  I guess I need to realize there will be plenty of people bitching no matter the hire.

He was OC at FSU. They recruit much better than us and play in a weaker football conference yet he had a really bad offensive season with them. That’s enough to give one a little concern. I have a couple of Maryland grad friends and they literally thought I was kidding when I told them who we hired.

Hope it works out.

3 hours ago, HoosierTownie said:

Does anyone here truly believe that CTA would purposely hire someone that will cost him his job in a couple of years? 

Of course not.  But the offensive coordinator he hired previously had underwhelming results.  2020 was the perfect storm for us to put up really good offensive numbers -- we had a great defense that gave us good field position + turnovers, we were incredibly healthy, and some key personnel at some other schools were out for the covid year -- and we were 59th in scoring.  This year we were 123rd out of 130 teams.  So just because he isn't going to hire someone he feels will hurt him doesn't mean they won't.

I get that Indiana football is not a destination job for coaches.  But it CAN be a stepping stone job.  It was for Kalen DeBoer, the hire before Sheridan.  DeBoer rode the job into a head coaching position at Fresno State and now Washington.  I simply don't get the idea of hiring a guy who didn't succeed as an OC at this level previously.  

https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/ringing-the-bell-what-to-make-of-the-hoosiers-new-offensive-coordinator/2021/12/6

Not deeply insightful, but it does give a basic outline of Bell’s system. Since I don’t have the intimate knowledge of mid-2010’s Maryland or 2018 FSU that some do, I thought it had some value.

14 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/ringing-the-bell-what-to-make-of-the-hoosiers-new-offensive-coordinator/2021/12/6

Not deeply insightful, but it does give a basic outline of Bell’s system. Since I don’t have the intimate knowledge of mid-2010’s Maryland or 2018 FSU that some do, I thought it had some value.

Thanks.

While many of us might not be overly excited with the hire I’m sure we all hope it works out. We will see.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I find it hilarious how people on a message board has any clue whether a hire is good or not.  Most couldn't even tell you who most of the assistant coaches are let alone how good they are.  I know if is part of being on these boards but some of you guys need to get a grip and let things play out before jumping to conclusions.  I guess I need to realize there will be plenty of people bitching no matter the hire.

Equally hilarious how people don't understand there's this new thing called the interwebs and you can look up .....things about people and find out about them.  You can actually use that data, especially the facts, and formulate a pretty educated opinion based solely on a guy's record.   

It's not like everyone who applies for any job has to produce a resume or anything.   What the hell.  Hire any old person and let it play out.  Why jump to an opinion based on a guy's record?   It might work out just fine!

Scott (have you ever hired anybody?), I promise you'll be nowhere near here if it doesn't work out and takes like this which assume nobody here has a brain or cognitive agency is laughable.  

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Equally hilarious how people don't understand there's this new thing called the interwebs and you can look up .....things about people and find out about them.  You can actually use that data, especially the facts, and formulate a pretty educated opinion based solely on a guy's record.   

It's not like everyone who applies for any job has to produce a resume or anything.   What the hell.  Hire any old person and let it play out.  Why jump to an opinion based on a guy's record?   It might work out just fine!

Scott (have you ever hired anybody?), I promise you'll be nowhere near here if it doesn't work out and takes like this which assume nobody here has a brain or cognitive agency is laughable.  

Sure will be here just like I was when Archie didn't work out.  Never said it was a great hire but no reason for ripping the guy already.

17 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Plenty of articles out this morning on social media about this hire. Nobody really pleased with the hire or the general direction of the program right now.

Has Tom Allen had his press conference about "LEO, he's a great shaper of young men, really the type of offense we want to run, the energy he brings." 

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Plenty of articles out this morning on social media about this hire. Nobody really pleased with the hire or the general direction of the program right now.

Thank goodness! Seems like there are even kids starting gofundme’s to get a different oc already haha. 

https://t.co/YcSdFzegzk

4 minutes ago, Over 100 Games said:

Thank goodness! Seems like there are even kids starting gofundme’s to get a different oc already haha. 

https://t.co/YcSdFzegzk

Are you the one that pledged the only $5 generated? Cause that's just plain rude and unnecessary in my opinion.

Having an opinion, including a negative one about this hire is completely reasonable. Starting a go-fund-me for removal before we've seen ANY results is a bit too much in my opinion. That feels much more like we are eating our own.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Sure will be here just like I was when Archie didn't work out.  Never said it was a great hire but no reason for ripping the guy already.

He is bad… here’s the information that’s available I’ve seen thrown out there:

His offensive efficiency numbers by year and team:
2014 - OC - Arkansas St 76th
2015 - OC - Arkansas St 78th
2016 - OC - Maryland 68th
2017- OC - Maryland 70th
2018 - OC - FSU 106th
2019 - HC - UMASS - 128th
2020 - HC - UMASS - 126th
2021 - HC - UMASS - 127th 

For reference, Coach Sheridan sat 84th in efficiency this year. For further comparison, here are the offensive efficiency numbers (from good years) at IU previously: 
Deboer:
2019 - 17th

Wilson / Kevin Johns / Seth Littrel:
2016 - 53rd
2015 - 27th
2014 - 71st
2013 - 20th
2012 - 49th

The numbers from former IU coaches are the numbers we know we need to compete in the B1G, and Bell is nowhere near them. I know Bell did great things with the rushing game at Maryland, or the passing game at FSU (think they finished top 2 in ACC that year), but his offenses still stunk. You can have all the stats that you want, but if your offense isn’t efficient, can't convert on 3rd down, stay on the field, win the turnover battle, or score when needed, then what good are stats??

Hopefully something changes!

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Are you the one that pledged the only $5 generated? Cause that's just plain rude and unnecessary in my opinion.

Having an opinion, including a negative one about this hire is completely reasonable. Starting a go-fund-me for removal before we've seen ANY results is a bit too much in my opinion. That feels much more like we are eating our own.

I think we have a decent guess as to how next season will unfortunately go. 

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

LOL - seems like something the kid would do. That being said, it would be hilarious. I think we all know how it will go if this guy is actually here 1 year. 

I was hoping that AD Dolson might intervene and dissuade or keep this from going to contract.  Allen has accomplished 1 thing with this new hire. Every position coach is safe for 2022, until Allen is fired, either mid season or after the Bucket game.  

I was hoping that AD Dolson might intervene and dissuade or keep this from going to contract.  Allen has accomplished 1 thing with this new hire. Every position coach is safe for 2022, until Allen is fired, either mid season or after the Bucket game.  

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk