Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierX

Offensive Coordinator - Walt Bell

I think that a lot of fans feel that if we don't right the ship next year, the program will slide all the way back down to the bottom of the hill. A bad hire, and I have no idea what kind of hire this is, starts us down that path.

7 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I think that a lot of fans feel that if we don't right the ship next year, the program will slide all the way back down to the bottom of the hill. A bad hire, and I have no idea what kind of hire this is, starts us down that path.

We are already at the bottom. It wasn't even a hill. We tried getting a closer look at the Grand Canyon and fell off. 

58 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Per SP+ his offenses are Arkansas State ranked in the 50s. That’s pretty good for inherited talent at a lower-tier job.

And the FSU offense was…fine. Not great, but 31st in success rate, 26th rushing SP+, 44th passing.

Man even the comments from fans of his previous employers are telling no or laughing! 

UMass fan he is a TOTAL MORON--thanks for taking his salary off our books!

UMass fan here. He’s awful. He legit had to call a time out this season because he sent the kicking team out for an extra point when he needed to go for 2 and needed is time outs. Oh and he didn’t even call the plays at FSU

1 hour ago, hoopsta007 said:

I’d like to know the criteria we had that made him a candidate let alone the guy.  No name brand. Not a proven winner. Not an up and comer.  Not an elite recruiter.  This has to come down to one thing, money, and if that’s truly the case we are back to being the IU of old

Who would come to IU for what we wanted to pay.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Who would come to IU for what we wanted to pay.

And that is the most frustrating thing if the situation is how it appears on the surface.  We give Allen a bigger extension and buyout but basically set him for failure if indeed we are going to make him go cheap on his coordinators.

Why you ask?  Simple. It’s Indiana. It’s Indiana. (Gift that keeps on giving, thx CTC!)

Seriously though. Nothing splashy. Nothing sexy. I felt like the guys in Major League when they are reading the new roster in the paper, “Who is this f’n guy?!”  I’m holding out hope. Because I’m an IUFB fan and hope is all I got. 

Never heard of the guy before today. Maybe he had bad talent at his previous schools. That doesn’t really reassure me though because he’s going to be at a talent disadvantage at IU too against most of our opponents. However good he is, he needs to be looking for a QB in the portal. I’m not confident in anyone left on our roster there. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Well he was a former head coach, I think CTA wanted someone who could be the head coach of the offense, he wanted someone with P5 experience as an OC and someone who would do it for a discount. He also speaks CTA language about making the players better men in life than just players blah blah blah. Just win for me, which it doesn't look like he has done a whole lot of. 

IMO, I'd take non P5 success over P5 experience and failure.  At least non-P5 success might translate to P5.  Seems like we've already seen what he can do a P5.

Personally, I'm below underwhelmed on the hire and more in the confused corner.

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Why you ask?  Simple. It’s Indiana. It’s Indiana. (Gift that keeps on giving, thx CTC!)

Seriously though. Nothing splashy. Nothing sexy. I felt like the guys in Major League when they are reading the new roster in the paper, “Who is this f’n guy?!”  I’m holding out hope. Because I’m an IUFB fan  MASOCHIST and hope is all I got. 

Fixed that for you :) 

Certainly an under-whelming hire, but I'll also hope for the best. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Here's another link to a TheDailyHoosier story reporting on how Bell's offenses performed on a national basis going back to 2014.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/a-look-at-walt-bells-offenses-in-the-national-rankings/?fbclid=IwAR0s7180Erlzo_jseZDbPBi6cFNFSToxztC6XvSNdi_wtsHCn6sUzO7S2Qo

Looks to me like he was okay 7 years ago and abysmal since.   These say a lot :

(FSU) The 2018 season was one of the Seminoles’ worst offensive seasons in school history

(UMass) the offensive picture painted during Bell’s tenure is not pretty.

I'm unimpressed.