Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Put Tom Allen on the hot seat

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dolson is a fundraiser so if he wants it to change then he will find a way to raise the money. 

He better because if they don't invest in necessary staff changes then they better expect fans investing in not showing up.  

Might be harder to raise money if Woody gets the basketball team rolling. It’s easier for fans to just ignore a bad football program if the basketball team is doing well.  Students will just go back to drinking in the tailgate fields and not making it into the stadium. 

Speaking of coaching hot seats. I just heard a story about a coach who was on the hot seat nearly 40 years ago -- LOL!

Rich Eisen said Rod Woodson told him that Lee Corso showed up on his doorstep, told him he had just been fired at IU -- but that he should still go there. 

It's a nice story, but I'm not sure I buy it. There were no cell phones back then, so it's not like Corso would've been fired mid road trip. He would have known his job status before ever leaving. And Bloomington to Fort Wayne is a day trip -- it seems unlikely Corso would've been on a two- or three-day recruiting excursion. 

Another thing -- I think the chances of Woodson going to IU were minute at best. From what I recall, he was pretty much a Purdue guy from the get-go. 

Major programs are in warp speed, hiring new coaches.  Allen still hasn't announced a new OC.  I suspect one of the holdbacks might be that he won't give whoever he hires, autonomy in picking position coaches.  A reminder:  Mark Stoops is taking Kentucky to it's 6th straight bowl game.  I wouldn't be surprised to see coach McCulloch blow out of here and take his sons with him,..maybe back to USC.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Speaking of coaching hot seats. I just heard a story about a coach who was on the hot seat nearly 40 years ago -- LOL!

Rich Eisen said Rod Woodson told him that Lee Corso showed up on his doorstep, told him he had just been fired at IU -- but that he should still go there. 

It's a nice story, but I'm not sure I buy it. There were no cell phones back then, so it's not like Corso would've been fired mid road trip. He would have known his job status before ever leaving. And Bloomington to Fort Wayne is a day trip -- it seems unlikely Corso would've been on a two- or three-day recruiting excursion. 

Another thing -- I think the chances of Woodson going to IU were minute at best. From what I recall, he was pretty much a Purdue guy from the get-go. 

I believe this is a true story. IU did not notify Corso in person that he had been fired, he heard it on the radio first. Now I don't know that he was headed to visit Woodson or not but I do know that he had a meeting with staff, coaches, and everyone else when he got back to town. From the way my father-in-law tells it, it felt like a death to the staff because of how well-liked Corso was. Then Sam Wyche came in a few weeks later and fired every single person in the football department, then left after one year. 

29 minutes ago, Scot said:

Major programs are in warp speed, hiring new coaches.  Allen still hasn't announced a new OC.  I suspect one of the holdbacks might be that he won't give whoever he hires, autonomy in picking position coaches.  A reminder:  Mark Stoops is taking Kentucky to it's 6th straight bowl game.  I wouldn't be surprised to see coach McCulloch blow out of here and take his sons with him,..maybe back to USC.

Stoops just got a new contract 

23 hours ago, Lebowski said:

This is devastating to read. IUFB desperately needs to address two areas, OL and what I like to call development. Development falls into strength and conditioning along with what Dr. Rhea did.  His title was "Football High School Performance Coordinator" whatever that means.  He and Ballou basically minimized injuries and increased performance.  Because whatever Hiller and Wellman are doing, it ain't working.

You truly believe this non sense

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why wouldn’t we believe it? IU has cheaped out before, and we already know that Allen took a paycut to get rid of Sheridan. 

Like giving Allen 4.9 million cheap or all the upgrades on facilities.  Some of you just believe anything someone says just because you think they have insid I fo.  If these guys were correct then Brad Stevens would be coaching IU

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like giving Allen 4.9 million cheap or all the upgrades on facilities.  Some of you just believe anything someone says just because you think they have insid I fo.  If these guys were correct then Brad Stevens would be coaching IU

They’ve upgraded facilities with donor money, and some of the facilities still need upgraded. Chris has shown time and again that he knows what he’s talking about, but you can choose to believe or not believe whoever you want. Nothing he said is hard to believe. The athletic program is hurting for money because of the pandemic. They lost out on a year of basketball and football attendance revenue. A lot of schools are in the same boat. Why do you find it so hard to believe that what he’s saying is true? Because IU doing this would not surprise me at all given the school’s past and the financial realities due to covid. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They’ve upgraded facilities with donor money, and some of the facilities still need upgraded. Chris has shown time and again that he knows what he’s talking about, but you can choose to believe or not believe whoever you want. Nothing he said is hard to believe. The athletic program is hurting for money because of the pandemic. They lost out on a year of basketball and football attendance revenue. A lot of schools are in the same boat. Why do you find it so hard to believe that what he’s saying is true? Because IU doing this would not surprise me at all given the school’s past and the financial realities due to covid. 

The legacy of Fred Glass. Horrible hires and even worse contracts.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Exactly, through donor money, which was said to be non existent for football. I buy they are strapped for cash (both from lost revenues and less donor money coming in) I don't buy they can't get a reasonable paid OC. The pandemic hit all schools yet they all seem to be firing and hiring new coaches at the same pace as normal. 

11 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It is possible that he has his man but he's coming from a program that's still playing and the hiree doesn't want to bail on his current team until its season is ended.  

That isn't stopping anyone else,..but I thought of that too.  Liberty and WKU still have games.

12 hours ago, Scot said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/2021-22-offensive-coordinator-tracker

Might be harder to raise money if Woody gets the basketball team rolling. It’s easier for fans to just ignore a bad football program if the basketball team is doing well.  Students will just go back to drinking in the tailgate fields and not making it into the stadium. 

Could actually be easier. My company had a corporate sponsorship for about 6 years. Not a great 6 year run for either sport really but there were some high points. We used to get Basketball and Football tickets in the deal. Had basketball been really in a good spot then I could have argued to keep it going but it became very hard to find anyone interested in going. So if basketball had been solid and we kept the sponsorship then football would have benefited too I know we were not the only ones who ended that relationship.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app