Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs Stanford in the Bahamas - 11/25/21 @ 1:30

I'll likely miss the game as hopefully I'll be in a tryptophan induced coma.

A pair of top 10 teams meet on Thanksgiving afternoon when No. 4/6 Indiana faces off against defending national champion No. 7/5 Stanford at the 2021 Pink Flamingo Championship. Tipoff is set for 1:30 p.m. ET on FloHoops.

#4/6 INDIANA (4-0) VS. #7/6 STANFORD (3-1)
Thursday, November 25, 2021 • 1:30 p.m. ET
Baha Mar Convention Center • Nassau, Bahamas
Broadcast: FloHoops
Radio: WHCC 105.1 FM (Austin Render)
Live Stats: Statbroadcast
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

ABOUT THE COACHES

Indiana Stanford
Teri Moren Tara VanDerveer
Career Record: 351-80 (19th Season) Career Record: 1,127-256 (42nd Season)
Indiana Record: 152-80 (8th Season) Stanford Record: 975-205 (36th Season)

ABOUT THE CARDINAL
Stanford improved to 3-1 after a 68-62 road win at Gonzaga on Sunday night. The defending national champions return all five starters highlighted by All-Americans sophomore guard Haley Jones (13.7 ppg., 7.3 rpg.) and senior guard Lexie Hull (11.3 ppg., 6.5 rpg.). Sophomore forward Cameron Brink is also averaging double figures (11.3 ppg.) as the Cardinal are shooting 48.2 percent from the floor and averaging 36.3 rebounds and 5.8 blocks per game.

SERIES HISTORY
Series tied at 1-1

LAST MEETING
11/16/01 – L, 72-87 (Palo Alto, Calif.)

NOTES

• For the first time since the 2009-10 season, Indiana will play in the Bahamas during Thanksgiving week in the inaugural Pink Flamingo Championship. The Hoosiers went 1-1 in the last time on the island at the Junkaroo Jam where it fell to then No. 15/18 Virginia and defeated Charlotte.
  • IU is 4-0 for the fourth time under eighth year head coach Teri Moren.
  • Junior forward Mackenzie Holmes paces her team with 18.0 points per game and one of five players averaging double figures. Senior guard Grace Berger adds 15.0 points per game while senior guard Nicole Cardaño-Hillary chips in 13.0 per outing.
  • Senior forward Aleksa Gulbe paces the squad on the boards with 7.3 per game while Holmes adds 6.0 per contest.
  • Graduate student guard Ali Patberg was named to the Big Ten Player of the Week honor roll for her two-game performance last week against Norfolk State and at Quinnipiac. The Columbus, Ind. native averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, +2.7 assist-to-turnover ratio and 1.0 steals per game while shooting 62.5 percent from the field, 57.1 percent at the 3-point line and 83.3 percent at the free throw line.
  • The Hoosiers are heading to the Bahamas as one of the nation's leaders field goal and free throw percentage. Their 50.2 percent clip from the floor ranks third nationally and their effort at the charity stripe ranks tied for first overall.
  • Former Hoosier Tara VanDerveer, who's in her 36th season at the helm of the program. VanDerveer played for Indiana from 1973-75 after transferring from Albany. She helped the Hoosiers to the AIAW Final Four in 1973. Indiana has faced its alum just one other time in school history, in a 72-87 loss to then No. 9/9 Stanford in the Stanford Tournament in Palo Alto on Nov. 16, 2001.

UP NEXT
IU will face Miami (FL) on Saturday in the finale of the Pink Flamingo Championship at 8:30 p.m. ET on FloHoops.

Not sure NC State game is winnable next week now.

They are absolutely mauling Maryland early today and the Terps are better than IU. NC State has a loss to South Carolina in a close game but right now the Gamecocks and Wolfpack look like far and away the best teams in country.

While you should never concede any game, right now I would say if you can finish the non-conference with only losses to Stanford today and NC State (and honestly the game today looks more gettable as Stanford has lost to a Texas team that is pretty similar to IU) it will be a success.

I am not dumping on our Hoosiers at all and they are a legitimate top 10 team, but NC State and Stanford are on another level (as is Maryland possibly). 

Not sure NC State game is winnable next week now.
They are absolutely mauling Maryland early today and the Terps are better than IU. NC State has a loss to South Carolina in a close game but right now the Gamecocks and Wolfpack look like far and away the best teams in country.
While you should never concede any game, right now I would say if you can finish the non-conference with only losses to Stanford today and NC State (and honestly the game today looks more gettable as Stanford has lost to a Texas team that is pretty similar to IU) it will be a success.
I am not dumping on our Hoosiers at all and they are a legitimate top 10 team, but NC State and Stanford are on another level (as is Maryland possibly). 

I tend to agree. Playing the absolute elite. Going to enjoy this season all season and know we are true underdogs in the games u mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, I guess credit due to Teri Moren and this women’s program. If you’d have told me five years ago I’d be getting my credit card out to pay $30 for an obscure streaming app to watch a women’s college basketball game I would have laughed, but here we are. Let’s go Ladies!

Not our best start, but we had a couple shots ring out and missed some free throws and only down 17-14 after first quarter. Their post play is causing us some problems defending to bigs. Moren has gone deeper on the bench than usual playing 7 in the first quarter, so maybe she’s thinking we will need fresh legs in the late game and getting Patberg and Holmes rest early. 

Great finish to the half for the lady Hoosiers. Cardano-Hilary with a couple clutch threes and we go into the half down just three. Need to make some halftime adjustments to get some double teams in the post defense and keep them from getting easy buckets from their length advantage which is significant. Patberg needs to get involved. Strong start to the third quarter and I think we have a good shot because we’ve got better shooters. Starts and ends with defense. Coach ‘em up Moren!

3 minutes ago, HoosierTownie said:

@JerryYeagley23 can you point your phone at your tv and stream it live on Facebook or something...just kidding...but absolutely ridiculous that this game is not nationally televised

PM me, I’m gonna cancel this subscription after this weekend anyways so maybe I can lend you credentials so you can watch the second half. Wink wink. 

Better quarter. Came out with a better plan on defense doubling the post and applying pressure on the passing lanes. Their length is still bothering us. Holmes got her shot blocked in the post a couple times pretty badly. Down 3 heading into the fourth quarter and we’re in position to close our strong and make a run to close it out. Got sayX the refs made some questionable decisions that didn’t help us. Totally bailed out the Stanford center on a spin love through the lane out of control and Calle da foul. Then on the other end kept the shorten in the pocket for an obvious foul on Gulbe as she went to the rim. 

TV timeout. Down 3, Gulbe heading to the line for two. Keys to the game: we’re undersized. Fact. Gotta keep hands active on defense when the ball is in the post, and then have to use our quickness on matchups on the offensive end to draw fouls or get into the lane and kick out for looks. It’s there for the taking.