Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - SF Bryson Tucker to INDIANA

Jamie Shaw's comments following this morning's McD A-A practice -

Bryson Tucker played with a lot of confidence today. He had a good feel on the ball, probing in the half-court getting in the mid-range and elevating from the elbows. Tucker has impressed this weekend on the defensive end. He has played physically with good athleticism. Tucker’s jump shot has improved, while still a little bit flat. He is better at knocking down shots off the bounce, especially in the mid-range. He is comfortable on the ball and plays good balance. 

45 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jamie Shaw's comments following this morning's McD A-A practice -

Bryson Tucker played with a lot of confidence today. He had a good feel on the ball, probing in the half-court getting in the mid-range and elevating from the elbows. Tucker has impressed this weekend on the defensive end. He has played physically with good athleticism. Tucker’s jump shot has improved, while still a little bit flat. He is better at knocking down shots off the bounce, especially in the mid-range. He is comfortable on the ball and plays good balance. 

Talented, but young for his class and therein not physically developed for a college freshman.

I would assume that most 22 year old college players will initially kick his @$$, but that he could be good by March and thereafter.

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Don’t remember where, but I saw someone comp Tucker to Kerry Kittles. That’s a strong call, right down to the slightly funky action in the jumper. 

That's pretty spot on from the little bit I've seen. You can also see a clear difference IMO in the AAU kids vs his national team background.

I can see the IQ praise he's had. Made the right cuts, right pass and got to right spots defensively. I would have liked him to take the corner 3 rather than try to drive late in 1st half. Honestly, in this game, he's looked better than McNeely. It's one game(all-star), I know.

Interesting. Recent USC decommit Perry guarding him tough.

McNeely looking rough too.

McNeely would benefit in going to a school with a system. I think he’d be crazy not to pick UConn. Actually Michigan might not be a bad choice. I think UK is rough for him. Maybe Kansas too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Interesting. Recent USC decommit Perry guarding him tough.

McNeely looking rough too.

McNeely would benefit in going to a school with a system. I think he’d be crazy not to pick UConn. Actually Michigan might not be a bad choice. I think UK is rough for him. Maybe Kansas too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yeah Fland and Jackson were the definition of score 1st PG's in that game. Not even sure there was a 2nd objective for them.

9 hours ago, Demo said:

Don’t remember where, but I saw someone comp Tucker to Kerry Kittles. That’s a strong call, right down to the slightly funky action in the jumper. 

Kerry Kittles was a fantastic player,  so that's a heckuva comp. I didn't remember how good kittles was a freshman,  so I looked it up. He was pretty solid. I also didn't remember what a excellent 3pt shooter he was, especially for the era.  

If this kid is 75% of what Kittles was we got a good one.

52 minutes ago, rcbowla said:

Yeah Fland and Jackson were the definition of score 1st PG's in that game. Not even sure there was a 2nd objective for them.

In the scrimmage last weekend, Fland did have 5 assists.  Jackson always looked to shoot in that game, but he was hitting everything and had 22 points.

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Kerry Kittles was a fantastic player,  so that's a heckuva comp. I didn't remember how good kittles was a freshman,  so I looked it up. He was pretty solid. I also didn't remember what a excellent 3pt shooter he was, especially for the era.  

If this kid is 75% of what Kittles was we got a good one.

The line was 2.5ft closer then.  

He's already got KK beat in height, weight, and probably athletic ability.. hope he adds the rest! 

On a draft website he was listed 6'7 200..

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In the scrimmage last weekend, Fland did have 5 assists.  Jackson always looked to shoot in that game, but he was hitting everything and had 22 points.

Well he hit everything last night including the side of the backboard on a 15 footer. Wasn't impressed with him at all

On 4/3/2024 at 7:55 AM, rcbowla said:

Well he hit everything last night including the side of the backboard on a 15 footer. Wasn't impressed with him at all

Interesting.  In the scrimmage he and Queen were the best players on the floor.

2 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I think Harper was best overall.

I didn't see the game, just the scrimmage.  In the scrimmage Harper had some good moments but was very uneven.  Jackson was simply on fire the whole game in the scrimmage.

I didn't see the game, just the scrimmage.  In the scrimmage Harper had some good moments but was very uneven.  Jackson was simply on fire the whole game in the scrimmage.

Harper, Boogie, Jackson better than the guards in portal imo. I think. But older guys are proving to be the winning players so, it really makes an interesting debate.

I think it’s best to just have depth because if that high level schooler doesn’t develop or work out like you want you have options.

Same can be said for transfers, TimberLake, Ledlum come to mind.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

35 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Harper, Boogie, Jackson better than the guards in portal imo. I think. But older guys are proving to be the winning players so, it really makes an interesting debate.

When I create preseason rosters for my PC Stellar game, I use the six most similar players (in size, rank, and position) to an incoming freshman to get an estimation of what they would be projected to do as a freshman.

For Bryson Tucker, the most most similar comparisons from the last three recruit classes are Caleb Foster, Duke;  Terrance Arceneaux, Houston;  Tre White, USC;  Matthew Cleveland, Florida State;  Johnny Furphy, Kansas;  and Jaylon Tyson, Texas.  Four of those players ended up playing between 24 and 27 minutes per game their freshman year to the school they committed to; one played 14 minutes per game and the other (Tyson) appeared in only 8 games, playing 7 minutes per game in those contests.  Funny thing is that Tyson, now two years later, averaged almost 20 points per game (no longer at Texas, though....has transferred twice).

Based on the comparisons, Tucker's projection based on his size/position/ranking -- taking the averages for the six above, would be:

• 20.5 minutes per game
  • 6 field goal attempts per game, shooting 44.5%
  • 1.9 of those attempts would be from three, shooting 31.5%
  • 1.9 free throws per game, hitting 65.1%
  • 3.4 rebounds per game
  • 1.1 assists per game
  • 0.6 steals and 0.3 blocks per game
  • 0.9 turnovers per game
  • 7.2 points per game

IMO, the volume of shots is lower than I would have thought but considering the comp players included three very talented teams like Duke, Houston, and Kansas, my gut says that the volume of shots he would have at IU would be greater than the averages above.

Let's say his shot per minute rate was equal to what another McD boy, Mgbako, was at IU last year.  If that were the case, his numbers would be:

20.5 minutes  ;   shooting 44.5/31.5/65.1, 3.4 rebounds, 1.1 assists, and 7.7 shots per game (2.4 from three), 1.9 free throws, 8.8 ppg