Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

James Blackmon Jr said he was Kentucky until he picked IU's hat.

This one had some dominoes — if I recall Devin Booker picked UK over UM earlier that day (week?), and while UK probably had a scholarship, the PT writing was on the wall for JBJ

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

This one had some dominoes — if I recall Devin Booker picked UK over UM earlier that day (week?), and while UK probably had a scholarship, the PT writing was on the wall for JBJ

Yes, that Kentucky roster had players who were top twenty recruits in their class and eight players went on to play in the NBA including Karl Towns, Booker,and Willie Cauley-Stein.  But they actually could have really used a shooter like Blackmon despite going undefeated in the regular season.  They were 311th in three point attempts and 285th in three pointers made and in their loss in the final four to Wisconsin only took five threes all game.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yes, that Kentucky roster had players who were top twenty recruits in their class and eight players went on to play in the NBA including Karl Towns, Booker,and Willie Cauley-Stein.  But they actually could have really used a shooter like Blackmon despite going undefeated in the regular season.  They were 311th in three point attempts and 285th in three pointers made and in their loss in the final four to Wisconsin only took five threes all game.

Part of that was Booker not blowing up until he got to the league. In college he was good and everyone could see the potential but not yet polished. 

Also Cal made the mistake of giving the lion's share of minutes to the Harrison twins, while Booker probably deserved more than he got. 

13 hours ago, lillurk said:

Yup, that morning. Pretty instructive deal there on the errancy of media player ratings. Blackmon was rated higher than Booker by all the media guys because he'd been on the radar for years, had played internationally as well as a bunch of travel ball,  and Booker played for a small HS in Mississippi and only played 1 year of travel ball. I only knew his name when he committed then saw him a few weeks later drop a 40 bomb on, I believe, Oak Hill at the Marshall County Hoopfest and it took about a quarter to realize he was absolutely better than Blackmon.

We've had a couple go our way. Jarad Jefferies went to bed going to Duke, and woke up going to IU. I'm sure there is more. But I agree we've been on the short end of the stick more times than not
Keon brooks
Trey Kaufman
Darius garland

Seems like many times wethought we had someone until we did not. Thats why I don't get my hopes up. I did with fland which as stupid.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Demo said:

Yup, that morning. Pretty instructive deal there on the errancy of media player ratings. Blackmon was rated higher than Booker by all the media guys because he'd been on the radar for years, had played internationally as well as a bunch of travel ball,  and Booker played for a small HS in Mississippi and only played 1 year of travel ball. I only knew his name when he committed then saw him a few weeks later drop a 40 bomb on, I believe, Oak Hill at the Marshall County Hoopfest and it took about a quarter to realize he was absolutely better than Blackmon.

I have a good story about John Beilein recruiting Booker but since I’m anonymous this will have to suffice: Beilein knew what he was seeing the first time he saw Book, way before anyone knew his name

19 minutes ago, JF87 said:

247 Sports predicts Queen to Maryland.  This is just a projection.  Hopefully, we can win this battle. 

I think that’s Ermann, a Maryland 247 writer who’s a bit of a homer from what I gather. He put in the crystal ball almost a year ago, and the 247 CB system incentivizes having it right for a long time. Given all that, I wouldn’t put too much stock into it unless there’s new premium info

1 hour ago, JF87 said:

247 Sports predicts Queen to Maryland.  This is just a projection.  Hopefully, we can win this battle. 

Ermann has also released false information about players and coaches too. Dude likes to stir up things, I believe he claimed we were tampering or something without any proof.

Does Queen end up at MD or IU? Who knows with this recruitment 

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He got a T for shoving the hell out of Muya on LaLu after Muya fouled him hard. It was hardly a skirmish if you can call it that, and was super quick (some words that would make you blush were exchanged but they both walked away, no punches thrown). Happened right in front of me. Let's just say Derik Queen is NOT someone I would want to make angry, lol. Solano on LaLu didn't do much but he is another big a** kid.

I'm sad to report Daniel Jacobsen is going to be a huge pain in our butt in a few years... and was a really nice guy, taking pics and signing autographs for little kids.

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

He got a T for shoving the hell out of Muya on LaLu after Muya fouled him hard. It was hardly a skirmish if you can call it that, and was super quick (some words that would make you blush were exchanged but they both walked away, no punches thrown). Happened right in front of me. Let's just say Derik Queen is NOT someone I would want to make angry, lol. Solano on LaLu didn't do much but he is another big a** kid.

I'm sad to report Daniel Jacobsen is going to be a huge pain in our butt in a few years... and was a really nice guy, taking pics and signing autographs for little kids.

McNeeley with 9 assists and zero turnovers is niiice.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He had a slightly off shooting night but was still impacting the game in so many ways. His defense impressed me, as did his playmaking... I would not be surprised at all to see him as the 2 guard in some rotations next year potentially

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Probably not right away, but at some point that kid is gonna play with the ball a lot. He has 1st rate playmaking chops and he just doesn’t make bad decisions. Even when he turns it over it’s rarely a poor choice.