Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

From Rob Cassidy -

The No. 4 prospect in the 2023 class, KJ Evans is as in-demand as almost any junior in the county. The Montverde Academy star holds a number of offers and an even longer list of schools interested in his services. Not all involved schools stand on level footing, however. Last week, Rivals.com caught up with the 6-foot-9 forward to get the latest on where things stand as they relate to his recruitment.

ON VISITS HE HOPES TO TAKE

“Definitely Indiana and Oregon. With my man Jalen [Hood-Schifino] going to Indiana, I definitely want to check that out.”

ON INDIANA

“I know Coach [Mike] Woodson is there and he teaches, like, an NBA system. That could help me understand that faster, so that’s good. It helps you. It helps know what the NBA needs and wants.”

ON WHAT HOOD-SCHIFINO SAYS ABOUT IU

“He says it’s really nice. We just went to Indiana recently to go play and it was nice, but it was a little cold. I’m from Baltimore. It’s cold there, but it’s not too cold. Not cold like Indiana was.”

ON OTHER SCHOOLS IN THE MIX

“Oregon definitely. I’ve always liked them. It helps that Nike is right there and I like their stuff. Also, they’ve been talking to me a lot. They’re really prioritizing me. Also, Texas.”

ON OREGON HEAD COACH DANA ALTMAN

“I talked to him recently actually. He’s a good guy. I haven’t had the chance to watch him really coach, but I like him. I just want to get to know him more.”

ON TEXAS

“They came and saw me at practice, and Dillon [Mitchell] tells me a lot about them. I like what I know about Texas but I want to go see it and know more.”

ON WHAT KIND OF SYSTEM BEST SUITS HIM

“I play positionless. I can play anywhere. I can bring the ball up or play underneath.

I shoot the ball well and play defense. I can handle the ball well, too, so I think I fit in a positionless system. I’m working on getting even better at ball handling because I’m tall, so guys come in under me, so I’m working on guarding against that.”

RIVALS REACTION – Evans’ desire to visit both Texas and Indiana stems at least partly from his relationships with teammates Dillon Mitchell and Jalen Hood-Schifino, who are signed with the Longhorns and Hoosiers respectively. The interest in both programs seems real, but Oregon should still be seen as the early favorite to land the five-star wing. Serious threats to the Ducks will become clearer as Evans’ visit itinerary takes shape in the year ahead.

https://www.on3.com/news/kwame-evans-jr-top-5-in-2023-updates-recruiting-and-talks-visits/

Indiana: “I know their coach is an NBA staff because Coach (Mike) Woodson is there. I saw they just beat Purdue. With their pro staff, they run an NBA-like system, and that will help me a lot.”

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

https://www.on3.com/news/kwame-evans-jr-top-5-in-2023-updates-recruiting-and-talks-visits/

Indiana: “I know their coach is an NBA staff because Coach (Mike) Woodson is there. I saw they just beat Purdue. With their pro staff, they run an NBA-like system, and that will help me a lot.”

Also another secondary quote that I like. "“I will look to set up some more official visits after the season,” Evans said. “I am definitely looking at Oregon and Indiana; we’ll see who else. Baylor just started talking to me. Alabama and Gonzaga as well, they haven’t offered yet."

I think the main competition might be Oregon, if for no other reason, apparently he really like NIKE.

We are in for tough competition with this kid, whether it be against schools with basketball success or NIL opportunities. I do like that he mentioned style of play and game day atmosphere as some deciding factors, as we would be attractive in both of those realms. 

17 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

We are in for tough competition with this kid, whether it be against schools with basketball success or NIL opportunities. I do like that he mentioned style of play and game day atmosphere as some deciding factors, as we would be attractive in both of those realms. 

Agreed, hard to compete with nike, and the image of being jabari smith 2.0

Stockrisers.com

Arguably the nation’s top-ranked junior, Kwame Evans Jr, tells Stockrisers.com that he will be visiting Indiana once the high school season is over. The dynamic 6’10 prospect had originally planned on taking his official visit to Bloomington this month, but, with the season progressing quickly, he has decided to wait till the end of his season with Montverde Academy.

That was the lone official visit he had set and planned, but, with the rescheduling of that visit, he has also said he also plans on visiting Oregon after the high school season.

In addition, Evans Jr. also says the following schools remain in the mix: Kentucky, Auburn, Oregon, Indiana, Texas.

New schools include Alabama, Gonzaga, and UCLA.

(UCLA offered five days ago)

When it comes to Evans Jr. you’re getting just an overall gifted prospect on both ends of the floor. He continues to build his consistency from three-point range, still can guard multiple positions, and is a menace on the boards. In addition, Evans Jr. continues to be an underrated playmaker and his court vision is improving all season long.

He has been very vocal also on the fact that he remains in the weight room and is continuing to strengthen his body as his junior season is winding down and bringing him nearly just one year away from being in college.

Look for one of 2023’s top-rated prospects to continue reeling in offers and stay on the lookout for possible visit dates in the works as the season continues to move along.

26 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Stockrisers.com

Arguably the nation’s top-ranked junior, Kwame Evans Jr, tells Stockrisers.com that he will be visiting Indiana once the high school season is over. The dynamic 6’10 prospect had originally planned on taking his official visit to Bloomington this month, but, with the season progressing quickly, he has decided to wait till the end of his season with Montverde Academy.

That was the lone official visit he had set and planned, but, with the rescheduling of that visit, he has also said he also plans on visiting Oregon after the high school season.

In addition, Evans Jr. also says the following schools remain in the mix: Kentucky, Auburn, Oregon, Indiana, Texas.

When it comes to Evans Jr. you’re getting just an overall gifted prospect on both ends of the floor. He continues to build his consistency from three-point range, still can guard multiple positions, and is a menace on the boards. In addition, Evans Jr. continues to be an underrated playmaker and his court vision is improving all season long.

He has been very vocal also on the fact that he remains in the weight room and is continuing to strengthen his body as his junior season is winding down and bringing him nearly just one year away from being in college.

Look for one of 2023’s top-rated prospects to continue reeling in offers and stay on the lookout for possible visit dates in the works as the season continues to move along.

I like that he was focused on getting a visit set with IU first...hopefully it pans out. This is the type of kid we need.

44 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Stockrisers.com

This is going to be a recruiting battle. Sounds like we have a decent shot though. 

Montverde's regular season has ended with a 20-4 record.  I cannot find detailed stats for every game but this is what I have for Evans.

• Pts - 19 gms:  6.1
  • Reb - 19 gms:  3.9
  • Asst - 19 gms:  .9
  • Stl - 19 gms:   .6
  • Blks - 19 gms:  .4
  • TOs - 19  gms:  .4

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

12 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

So did JHS post this, or just this account and they tagged him in it?

Kwame posted “what’s the word” and allowed replies. Someone replied “future Indiana commit [eyes]” privately to Kwame. He posted that private comment publicly, with a pic of himself, tagging JHS, with the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Possible JHS reposted that, but what we have here is a screenshot of Kwame’s question+reply+photo