Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

56 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

That’s interesting, but reps is more cardio/endurance, not straight body strength. 

In June of 23 he did 17 reps of 185 pounds (when he weighed 170 pounds) — that was his baseline preconditioning numbers before he any work on strength and conditioning.  While that is partially cardio, that also entails strength and drive.  He came into college with a solid physical training.  

Yeah, hard to believe a kid ranked 131 didn’t make a splash as a freshman in a P5 conference.
Harder to believe a kid ranked 131 was expected by many here to make a splash as a frosh. Should we time travel back to the recruiting forum and read them.

The internet is forever......

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Schreckbagger said:

Basketball is DEFINITELY a game where a one trick pony gets his time to shine. Why do teams swap out players during games, offense to defense, or good FT shooter for poor, quicker player for a plodder. Why does everyone here want shooters, even if they can't guard a chair. It's a huge part of the game. I don't know what games you watch if that's not apparent.  

The hype from IU forums (yes, INCLUDING HERE) is where the hype came. It set a tone where Cupps was more than enough, more than just an adequate backup for XJ. The rainbows and unicorns came crashing down when X went out. You really believe if Cupps hadn't played with James son, and gotten all that attention, he'd even been ranked that high.

Basketball is not difficult. Find the mismatch and take advantage. Cupps WAS the mismatch. Every other team knew that too. Maybe three yrs from now, he won't be, or maybe he'll just be an older version of the same.

I like the kid, his work ethic, his attitude, his commitment, and as a teammate. Not so much on the court though.

I find it funny how the people who are some of the most vehement about some of us taking a crap on Mike Woodson's coaching job last year and how dare we "untrue" fans be so hard on Leal after what he said and then they turn around and have hot takes like, "Cupps sucks and that is why Woodson was no good...."  With fans like that talking **** about you online why would players want to play here?  Amiright?

Yep, no reason at all to write off Cupps being a contributor as a backup PG as soon as this year. In addition, IU has the depth for him to get only minutes he earns, health permitting. So if the TOs dry up, he shoots even better from 3, and he tightens up defensively, he’ll see the court.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I don’t mean this other than a question— not trying to be a jerk — I remember you saying he was better than Hulls coming into IU and had comparisons to Yogi. Obviously that didn’t pan out but that happens (like I thought, on information from a scout I know, Geronimo would be better than vic coming in). 
Don’t you think Cupps has the skillset to turn into minimally a solid B1G point? I’m confused— you were really big on Cupps now you’re really down on him at least offensively. From where I sit he wasn’t ready for major minutes, his body wasn’t there and he also didn’t have a green light to shoot from deep — but he takes care of the ball pretty well and now with a season under his belt, an offseason in the weight room, and a bunch of new scoring options around him, I see a guy who can grow into a good point guard. Why give up on him?

I said "the way they played"..  there were people that compared Cupps and Hulls.... imo, those two couldn't be more different players... outside of their size and the way they look..

other than Hulls shot, I do feel Cupps is a better player/could be the better player..  

I mentioned-- if there was a comp, he was a poor(idk if I used that verbage) Yogi... that came from watching some of his high school games and play 100% on the ball... that was clearly off. In no way did I think he was as good as Yogi, though. I was clearly blinded by them both being 1s... Cupps did have a true pull game in his arsenal in HS though.. but what we saw this season, it certainly didn't seem like it was there.. 

Overall--- yes-- I did think he was way better than he showed this year, I was wrong. I don't think he's a superb athlete(Braden Smith) and doesn't possess an elite skill (Hulls shooting).. I just don't know of the fit.. 

Like how does his offensive skillset function within a good offense? 

Chris Kramer but smaller? 

Cupps dad couldn't have been more right, "he's an acquired taste"

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In June of 23 he did 17 reps of 185 pounds (when he weighed 170 pounds) — that was his baseline preconditioning numbers before he any work on strength and conditioning.  While that is partially cardio, that also entails strength and drive.  He came into college with a solid physical training.  

That’s better than I thought, though in fairness I did that at 165 lbs as a high school senior (hockey player, and I hit 18 reps). There is a difference

31 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I come here to see if there's any news on Hemenway or perhaps even the Ukrainian dude -- and all I'm seeing is about Gabe Cupps. 

As far as I know, he's already on the team. 

I'm not a mod, but maybe we can move any Cupps discussion to the Cupps thread (I know there is one) and keep this about the portal and IU targets (you know -- like the title of the thread)?

What if Cupps enters the portal, bench presses 2,000 lbs, and then recommits! 

I find it funny how the people who are some of the most vehement about some of us taking a crap on Mike Woodson's coaching job last year and how dare we "untrue" fans be so hard on Leal after what he said and then they turn around and have hot takes like, "Cupps sucks and that is why Woodson was no good...."  With fans like that talking **** about you online why would players want to play here?  Amiright?

Nah, talking about bad coaching is cool. Personal attacks on his character is what's disturbing. People here can't recognize that. Wongagain. 

Btw.....who posted this?

"Cupps sucks and that is why Woodson was no good...."

That's funny.

So, who posted that??

I think I've found your "hot take" source.....Screenshot_20240503_103516_DuckDuckGo.jpeg