Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I don’t know, but I would definitely take Johnell Davis if he was willing to listen to IU. Originally from Gary, IN. 

He’d be one of the worst defenders in the B1G. Nice story down there. Maybe a bench guy. But I won’t sweat it if Michigan gets him. 

13 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Some really good names announced today.  Among them:

Washington State's Myles Rice in the portal.  6'3" freshman  Averaged 14.8 points, 3.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists.  Shot 44/28/81.  Only 36 of 131 from three but if he develops a three point shot could be lite.  Good defender.

Zion Harmon, Bethune Cookman.  5'10" sophomore guard.  Two year starter, averaged 14.1 points, 2.1 reb, and 3.4 ast over two seasons.  39/30/88 shooter..

Former IU target Adou Thiero, Kentucky.  6'6" wing (listed as 6'8" on Kentucky's roster but 6'6" on On3).  Made 19 starts at Kentucky this past year.  In 21 minutes per game this year averaged 7.2 pts, 5.0 reb, 1.1 ast, and 1.1 blocks.  Shot 49/32/80 although had limited attempts from three (7 of 22).  Did put up 16 points and 13 rebounds against Kansas early in the year.  Two years eligibility left.

Micah Peavy, TCU.  6'8" wing.  10.9 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists.  46/31/61.

North Texas guard Jason Edwards.  6'0" guard.  19.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, 1.4 assists.  43/35/81 and a volume three point shooter (84 of 240).

Thiero is interesting because:

1. He is an elite strength 6'6" undersized four with a very good motor that almost chose IU two years ago.
  2. He is therefore an on-court exact replica of Jordan Geronimo, though he's slightly better at being that player.

43 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Thiero is interesting because:

1. He is an elite strength 6'6" undersized four with a very good motor that almost chose IU two years ago.
  2. He is therefore an on-court exact replica of Jordan Geronimo, though he's slightly better at being that player.

If I remember his deal correctly, part of Thiero's original appeal was that his Dad is 6'10" and he still had open growth plates so might well get significantly taller. So UK listing him at 6'8" might be correct. Either way, I don't really see the fit with this roster. But a lot of UK fans REALLY like that kid and are mad at Cal for not being able to retain him, which is not the usual mindset with that crowd. That says something for him. Will be an interesting follow.

50 minutes ago, Demo said:

If I remember his deal correctly, part of Thiero's original appeal was that his Dad is 6'10" and he still had open growth plates so might well get significantly taller. So UK listing him at 6'8" might be correct. Either way, I don't really see the fit with this roster. But a lot of UK fans REALLY like that kid and are mad at Cal for not being able to retain him, which is not the usual mindset with that crowd. That says something for him. Will be an interesting follow.

He's a good kid that plays his @$$ off, and he's provided and would continue to provide some program continuity. I can see why UK fans are far more pissed at losing him than Wagner or Edwards.

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

Shots til his heart’s content.

I'm not saying he's going to go and average 12-14+ ppg right away next year, but I do think his game will translate pretty well in the Big East. With another offseason of hard work and if Holtmann has any decent development chops for guards, I could definitely see Gunn being a contributor/rotation player with a scoring focused role. 

27 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Should be a better fit. He wasn’t B1G material.

Yeah, if you can’t thrive in the powerhouse B1G, you should excel in that collection of low majors known as the Big East.  *eyeroll*

21 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Is the guy from Evansville anything like the Alabama big that transferred from S Dakota State? If close, he would be a great addition 

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In theory? Very much so.

In practice? He could be Grant Nelson or Evan Fitzner at his next stop.

Not super familiar with the UE player but it’s a bit of a trade off — Nelson’s listed at 6’11”, and has pretty good handle and athleticism for his size, but is a hair under 30% from 3 on > 300 attempts.

So he’s got size and probably length and athleticism on his UE counterpart, but also seems a clearly worse shooter.

20 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

At this point, have any Florida Atlantic players went into the portal?  Think May will likely really struggle in his first year at Michigan if he isn't able to get any of his former players to follow.

20 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I don’t know, but I would definitely take Johnell Davis if he was willing to listen to IU. Originally from Gary, IN. 

UM fans were very excited that Davis and Martin reposted May’s IG post about the UM job. Not sure it means a LOT but we’d probably be excited about the same thing. They also want Goldin, of course.

That said, UM’s hoops NIL has been underwhelming and May didn’t get concrete commitments in that area in taking the job (as far as I can tell the idea he bought was “UM fans/alum have lots of $, look how we support fball, if you win the $ will be there”). They could transfer to join him but if they go in open minded I imagine there will be higher bidders.

Purely FYI as Nickel had an IU offer in high school and now looking to become a 2-time transfer.

Virginia Tech sophomore Tyler Nickel has officially entered the transfer portal @On3sports has learned The former 4-star recruit played in 33 games this season, starting seven. He started his career at UNC.

Kansas State's Cam Carter (14.6 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.6 ast) has committed to LSU.

U Mass' Josh Cohen (6'10" big, 15.9 pts, 6.8 rebounds) has committed to Arkansas.

Penn State's Kanye Clary has committed to Mississippi State.

Eric Dailey, Oklahoma State freshman has entered the portal.  38th ranked recruit in class of 2023.  Started 16 games for the Cowboys.  In 22 minutes/game averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds.  Plays power forward but does have some ability to shoot -- made 19 of 57 threes.  Shot 50/33/60 last season.  Three years of eligibility.

Reuben Chinyelu, 6'11" freshman center, Washington State.  Rim protector and rebounder for the Cougars.  Mostly came off the bench but started 12 games and averaged 14 minutes/game.  4.7 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 1.3 blocks.  Shot 62% from the field, no threes, 48% from the line.  Three years eligibility.

Mass exodus from Stanford continues.  Brandon Angel, 6'8" forward.  One year of eligibility.  Averaged 13 points and 4.7 rebounds.  Very efficient scorer, shot 57/45/82 and has shot 51/39/81 over four years.  Not necessarily a bulk three point shooter but in the past three years has made 94 of 237 from three (40%).

Riley Kugel, Florida.  6'5" guard.  Started 28 games over the last two years, averaging 9.5 pts and 3.2 rebounds.  42/34/68 shooter.

Posted (edited)

Yale forward Danny Wolf has entered the transfer portal, per @JamieShaw5. The 7-0 sophomore averaged 14.1PTS & 9.7 REB this season.

The 7’0” forward appeared in 32 games for the Ivy League tournament champs, averaging 14.1 points, 9.7 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.3 blocks, and 1.0 steal. Wolf shot 47% from the field, and 35% from 3 (29/84).

https://yalebulldogs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/danny-wolf/19240

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Added more stats