Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

NO, NO ,NO.  5-star recruit and could only average 9 min/game on a mediocre Spartan team.  He ain't no Kel'el Ware that will blossom in Bloomington.  He doesn't want to work that hard and get dirty on the inside.  Wants to stand outside and jack 3s.

Dana Altman said the exact same thing about Ke'lel Ware not wanting to work hard and get dirty on a mediocre Oregon team.  He also shot way too many threes for them.  And he doesn't have to be Ke'lel Ware to be a useful player.

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Won’t leave west coast if a transfer. Imo 

Maybe so—thought he had some connection to IU, like maybe Woodson coached the kid’s dad, or something along those lines.

2 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

Is the Stanford kid that IU recruited going into the portal? Big shooting guard iirc

If you’re talking about Stojakovic, he might, though he seemed pretty intent on staying on the Coast. Hell, Stanford’s entire team should transfer. Hasse shows the value of naked pictures of the AD because there’s no other reason that guy keeps that gig. The kid to keep an eye on there would probably Kanaan Carlyle. Freshman CG from Atlanta. Has a Rosemond connection. Kind of wild but really talented. Wants the keys to the car. Here he could probably have them.

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Dana Altman said the exact same thing about Ke'lel Ware not wanting to work hard and get dirty on a mediocre Oregon team.  He also shot way too many threes for them.  And he doesn't have to be Ke'lel Ware to be a useful player.

He does have to be a “Humble Beast” though 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other and don't care A or B.  Booker is lazy and doesn't have Ware's motivation.

Google "Accusations or Portal Target Kel'el Ware's Laziness...".  He was given the exact same label coing to IU.

I'm not saying that Booker's effort will improve, but Ware's effort by all accounts wasn't great at Oregon.  Players can change.  I'd certainly prefer a high effort, talented player but the chance that it does improve is there.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'll throw out another Indiana kid that could go into the portal. And I've been on record that I have never been a fan of this player. At all.

But he's been watching Kel'el Ware go from Oregon bench warmer to a lotto pick/at worst first rounder; in fact he watched it from one foot away from Kel'el yesterday. He's probably noticing that of all players nationally, Ware may be his most natural comp. 

Xavier Booker.

Only if he's the third big.  I've said this before, but I don't think Woodson is rolling the dice on underclassmen or unproven players again.

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Serious question.  If Xavier Booker hadn't gone to school in Indiana would there be this much "should get him" conversation?  Same applies to Essegian at Wisky?  Are we color blind because they're from Indiana?

XB was a top 10 recruit and Essegian made the B1G All-Freshman team with 3 NBA players and Braden Smith. We are talking about them this early because they are from Indiana but they absolutely deserve at least a conversation either way

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Serious question.  If Xavier Booker hadn't gone to school in Indiana would there be this much "should get him" conversation?  Same applies to Essegian at Wisky?  Are we color blind because they're from Indiana?

I think there is absolutely merit in looking "closer to home" first as a program. It just makes sense - that's what non-athletes do for all of those non-sport "real life" reasons. As fans I think it makes sense that you'd value players you've seen/followed in HS more highly than other fans in other parts of the country may. Just more familiar with their game/history and of course that connection absolutely means something. I have been rooting my butt off for Mack all year - he's only the 3rd player from Jersey to play for IU (the 2nd was Geronimo lol). He was off to a rough start but showed glimpses and man, if he is here next year... will get some serious buckets. 

That said... I certainly hope the coaches will evaluate all options and prioritize based on other factors. IMO, could Booker and Essegian contribute here. Sure. I'm not familiar enough with the portal to say they're our best options. If they are, I'd be very underwhelmed. I actually find Booker more interesting than Essegian, despite Essegian having a more productive history. But I tend to overweight those 7-foot types, even if it's just on potential alone. Can't teach height. We did have success getting Ware's motor going. Essegian... if you're not good enough to be a starter at Wisconsin, I don't think it's a recipe for success to go after him hard. Wouldn't hate him as a mop up rotation player I suppose. But I'd prefer a lot more speed at this point based on what the team needs roster wise right now.

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We are talking about them because they’re portal possibilities, because playing near home is a recruiting advantage, and because they’re talented.

Curious what people would think about Aden Holloway - if I recall he lit us up pretty good against Auburn. My understanding is the quality of his play dropped off fairly sharply in the second half of the season, though he was strong in the non-con. 

1275746929_Screenshot2024-03-11at6_54_23PM.thumb.png.1ef73435cddd2af70580764be0c27640.png

Trilly said he most likely would be looking to go somewhere that he could have more of an impact. Not necessarily "down a level" as in still P5, but different style of play than SEC. I think that certainly applies to us. Only 6'1 from Charlotte, doesn't seem like an immediate fit. But I would love to see a few speedy guards on next year's roster. Ideally a couple inches taller.

If Taco and Reneau enter portal I will absolutely panic 
I am sure iu can offer them a ton of money but these days you have no idea what a player will do. It's free agency every year now. I dont like it but it is what it is I guess

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We are talking about them because they’re portal possibilities, because playing near home is a recruiting advantage, and because they’re talented.

It should be a slight NIL advantage, too. A guy like Essigian, for example, probably raises his profile a bit being at IU and can go home in the summers and hold camps or do a day signing autographs at the local car dealership—even as a reserve—than if he goes to Rutgers or if IU gets a guy from Maine. There should be a little synergy with acquiring more local guys, especially non-starters. Leal is an obvious example of this with regards to his NIL/RE side job