Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

OT - Bloomington, a city on the brink?

Surprised the first story hasn’t been discussed yet and the second I just heard about...

This weekend there was what appeared to be a racially motivated assault on a hiking path near Lake Monroe. Parts were captured on video and an investigation is ongoing. Link

I just got a text from a friend that there was a protest outside the Bloomington courthouse tonight and a woman was run over by a car. Sixth and Walnut. Not sure if it was linked to the protest but the video is starting to circulate on Twitter. Link. (NSFW)

Vauhxx is a good dude (from Columbus). This makes me sick. When I saw the assailants were employed by a masonry company, I emailed our company president, our subcontractor director, and my gm, told them we need to make sure we're not using Matthew Masonry. They're now on the Do Not Use list (we've never used them, but...). 

Still no arrest. Also even with the license plate, picture of the people in the car, and their home address police haven't been able to find the red car that ran over people. But police are saying that the protesters were leaning on the car, not that the car ran over them. It's crazy here right now. people are on edge.

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Still no arrest. Also even with the license plate, picture of the people in the car, and their home address police haven't been able to find the red car that ran over people. But police are saying that the protesters were leaning on the car, not that the car ran over them. It's crazy here right now. people are on edge.

If they don’t do something every elected official in Monroe county is going to get destroyed next election 

Wonder if those idiots have a cabin or something on the lake? Matthew Masonry is in Pittsboro -- about 20 miles west and a little north of Indy. Yet these dudes were acting as if Booker and his friends -- the "liberal f--ks" -- were invading their turf. 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s amazing that in a town like Bloomington that these two incidents have resulted in no arrests

No arrests yet does not necessarily mean no arrests. There are so, so many variables that may contribute to that decision,  both for and against a quick arrest.

Among just a couple of them? 

For a quick arrest:

• Alleviate public scrutiny
  • Reduce chances of property damage/unrest because of public's expectations not being met

Against quick arrest:

• Grand jury testimony and subpoenas may no longer be available once charges are brought- moves to discovery phase
  • Evidence may be harder to acquire once charges are brought
  • Cooperation may be more easily obtained from subjects or un-indicted co-conspirators before charges are brought 

There are so many factors at play here. Sometimes, it's because local law enforcement or prosecutors are tone deaf or biased. Sometimes/many times, it is because there are many strategic considerations that the public is not aware of.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No arrests yet does not necessarily mean no arrests. There are so, so many variables that may contribute to that decision,  both for and against a quick arrest.

Among just a couple of them? 

For a quick arrest:

• Alleviate public scrutiny
  • Reduce chances of property damage/unrest because of public's expectations not being met

Against quick arrest:

• Grand jury testimony and subpoenas may no longer be available once charges are brought- moves to discovery phase
  • Evidence may be harder to acquire once charges are brought
  • Cooperation may be more easily obtained from subjects or un-indicted co-conspirators before charges are brought 

There are so many factors at play here. Sometimes, it's because local law enforcement or prosecutors are tone deaf or biased. Sometimes/many times, it is because there are many strategic considerations that the public is not aware of.

A quick arrest also protects the public from violent offenders. How many videos did we see of protesters and in numerous cases reporters being arrested on the spot. 

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A quick arrest also protects the public from violent offenders. How many videos did we see of protesters and in numerous cases reporters being arrested on the spot. 

And risk of flight. Like I said, so many factors. 

I betcha there are factors that are a big deal here that we haven't and won't think of, because one thing is certain -- every scenario is different.

Another factor that is ultimately the most important factor; what is the applicable statutory language? Because if there isn't a charged statute that will produce a conviction, people will feel helpless and the frustration with the outcome will be very high, and the loss of faith in the local legal system will not be productive..

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And risk of flight. Like I said, so many factors. 

I betcha there are factors that are a big deal here that we haven't and won't think of, because one thing is certain -- every scenario is different.

Another factor that is ultimately the most important factor; what is the applicable statutory language? Because if there isn't a charged statute that will produce a conviction, people will feel helpless and the frustration with the outcome will be very high, and the loss of faith in the local legal system will not be productive..

I can certainly see the benefits of waiting. But people I think would rather see an early arrest and the person get off on trial. Because far too often we have seen authorities stall and wait for things to leave the news cycle before doing nothing. 

And right now there’s like 0 trust from the public