Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

Midwest Hoops Spotlight @MidwestHoopsSL

Xavier Booker has great potential & starting to show more & more. The lengthy 6'11 big is an elite shot blocker w/ all his tools and has just been shutting down the paint. Very aggressive player that rebounds well & has scored on couple put backs so far.

New name on the IU radar.  Reed Sheppard a 6'2" combo guard attends North Laurel HS in London, KY.  He is the son of two UK basketball legends: Jeff Sheppard, the leading scorer on the men’s 1998 national title team; and Stacey Reed, one of the greatest players in UK women’s basketball history.
Sheppard averaged 20.6 points per game as a freshman for North Laurel before exploding as a sophomore, averaging 35 points — and making 43 percent of his three-point shots — over the team’s first 12 games, all victories. He’s reached 50 points on multiple occasions and still manages to achieve high assist totals despite his impressive scoring performances. 
Rivals
Hudl
https://247sports.com/Article/Reed-Sheppard-2023-recruitment-Kentucky-Louisville-Virginia-Iowa-Indiana-161418273/
https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/reed-sheppard-drops-career-high-54-points-flirts-with-triple-double/
https://www.wymt.com/2021/01/13/more-than-his-parents-legacy-reed-sheppard-shines-early-in-sophomore-season/

Seen this kid play a couple of times. Like to see him get stronger, I’m sure he will. I played for North Laurel my freshman season. This was back in like 97-98 so Many moons ago!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Final comment on Xavier Booker's weekend from Trevor Andershock - Overall, Xavier Booker made great strides this weekend. He was fantastic against the Illinois Wolves and battled a big, tough All-Ohio Red team. Today, he let off the gas a bit.  He was more engaged in the second half and made a few great plays as he racked up points at the basket and free throw line.  The next step for the high-potential prospect is playing with a competitive edge in each game.  Over the last two years, he has improved in this area but as today showed, Booker is still a work-in-progress.

On 2/25/2021 at 4:57 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Update on Bowen -

Indiana: “I really feel like a priority there and it feels great to be wanted by a program like that. Obviously they have such a rich history filled with success and that’s something I definitely take note of.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/02/25/class-of-2023-taylor-bowen-talks-recruitment/

Extract from a Stockrisers update on Taylor Bowen today. 

“The schools that are the most involved right now are Iowa and Rutgers. Due to coaching staff changes some schools that were in the mix the most are no longer there.”

23 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Nice recognition from MaxPreps for Jalen Hooks.  As an aside, both Hooks and Xavier Booker were offered by IUPUI this week FWIW.

Miles Colvin a 2023 guard from Heritgae Christian also picked up an offer from IUPUI this week. 

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A legit 6’11” rising Jr who can stretch the floor and protect the rim. Kid is gonna have his choice.

Question: Who was the last high major true big in central Indiana? Was it Hammons, or am I forgetting someone?

1 minute ago, Demo said:

A legit 6’11” rising Jr who can stretch the floor and protect the rim. Kid is gonna have his choice.

Question: Who was the last high major true big in central Indiana? Was it Hammons, or am I forgetting someone?

Define true big

Because I would say Jaren Jackson, probably. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Define true big

Because I would say Jaren Jackson, probably. 

Thanks, knew I was forgetting someone, and a top 5 pick in the draft, no less. My brain does not work as well as it used to.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Not central Indiana but Malik Williams has to be one 

On 4/11/2021 at 10:02 PM, yogisballin said:

Seen this kid play a couple of times. Like to see him get stronger, I’m sure he will. I played for North Laurel my freshman season. This was back in like 97-98 so Many moons ago!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Watched him play several times as I have ties to rival Clay County. A fun kid to watch.

17 hours ago, Demo said:

Booker has to be more consistent in the effort department. The skills and upside are there and Jaren Jackson is a good player comp in terms of potential. He still has a long way to go to reach that potential. He could though if he figures it out. 

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

Booker has to be more consistent in the effort department. The skills and upside are there and Jaren Jackson is a good player comp in terms of potential. He still has a long way to go to reach that potential. He could though if he figures it out. 

Jason Delaney's a pretty good coach so that ought to help Booker's development if he's willing to listen and work.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jason Delaney's a pretty good coach so that ought to help Booker's development if he's willing to listen and work.

It should but there's a reason he sat a lot for Cathedral as sophomore too. He has to find more of a motor or else that won't matter.