Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Before these photos were taken ... 

McRobbie: "Again, who is this young lady with whom I'll be in the photograph?" 
IU PR person: "Lilly King."
McRobbie: "And who exactly is that?"
IU PR person: "She's on the swim team. Won an Olympic gold medal. Won a bunch of NCAA titles. She's one of the greatest athletes in IU history."
McRobbie: "We have a team of swimmers?"

3 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

So we’d be looking at what? 20-30 schools who could actually afford that? Or are only a couple players getting paid? The NCAA would limit it at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Create a new division in basketball. All power 5 schools could afford it. It would be more like football in that aspect. If schools afford it, then they could drop down to a lower tier. I don’t think it will happen this way, just throwing out ideas. 

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

The conferences themselves benefit from the lack of enforcement. 

Especially those in the power conferences who win/cheat the most!  Schools control the NCAA - it’s in many’s best interest to protect and maintain the status quo as dysfunctional and ineffective as it is.

7 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Before these photos were taken ... 

McRobbie: "Again, who is this young lady with whom I'll be in the photograph?" 
IU PR person: "Lilly King."
McRobbie: "And who exactly is that?"
IU PR person: "She's on the swim team. Won an Olympic gold medal. Won a bunch of NCAA titles. She's one of the greatest athletes in IU history."
McRobbie: "We have a team of swimmers?"

Crikey! I told Fred to get rid of the bloody athletics!

Create a new division in basketball. All power 5 schools could afford it. It would be more like football in that aspect. If schools afford it, then they could drop down to a lower tier. I don’t think it will happen this way, just throwing out ideas. 

Indiana sits about even most years in profit from the athletic department. And you’re going to tell me they could afford paying men’s basketball and football players 30K a year? Are we talking paying every single player? Most schools work around or below even. Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama and a few others could afford it, but most wouldn’t break even on the year.

53 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Indiana sits about even most years in profit from the athletic department. And you’re going to tell me they could afford paying men’s basketball and football players 30K a year? Are we talking paying every single player? Most schools work around or below even. Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama and a few others could afford it, but most wouldn’t break even on the year.

I’m saying that you circumvented title IX, so you could actually do away with non revenue sports. So you can pay players what they are worth. If you want to have non revenue sports, then you still follow title IX. 

I’m saying that you circumvented title IX, so you could actually do away with non revenue sports. So you can pay players what they are worth. If you want to have non revenue sports, then you still follow title IX. 

We’re all ver the map in this thread already but.. I’d like to see kids be able to go right out of high school. If they don’t make it the increased G-League salary wouldn’t be a bad option. I’d love to see a true “minor league” in basketball. The NCAA wouldn’t go for it because they would lose a ton of money.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We’re all ver the map in this thread already but.. I’d like to see kids be able to go right out of high school. If they don’t make it the increased G-League salary wouldn’t be a bad option. I’d love to see a true “minor league” in basketball. The NCAA wouldn’t go for it because they would lose a ton of money.

It boggles my mind there isn’t a true minor league. 

The NCAA has no say in it. If the NBA wanted to do the minor league thing they could. The NBA is the one that made the one and done rule.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The NCAA has no say in it. If the NBA wanted to do the minor league thing they could. The NBA is the one that made the one and done rule.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I get that but as it currently stands the top end recruits make more playing in college. The recruits also have a platform to build their brand which they wouldn’t in the G-League. The NCAA can’t lose their cash cows so they look the other way as often as possible to keep the programs and players eligible.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

It boggles my mind there isn’t a true minor league. 

Me too. I’m in favor of the MLS model. Many MLS clubs, eventually all, have developmental academies for youth players. If the players are good enough they will be signed by the professional team that developed them. If they aren’t professional level, but still good, then college is an option. 

There is too much money for the shoe companies and NCAA with Zion Williamson at Duke for a year. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but OAD benefits the shoes companies, the NBA, and the NCAA. Only person getting cut out of the money is the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There is too much money for the shoe companies and NCAA with Zion Williamson at Duke for a year. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but OAD benefits the shoes companies, the NBA, and the NCAA. Only person getting cut out of the money is the kid.

The kid isn’t really being cut out though. He’s just getting cut out legally. His family, friends, etc. is being compensated.

13 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I’m suprised the NBA is doing away with OAD as they are the biggest beneficiaries.  They get to see potential OAD players play against decent (college) talent for a year before pulling the trigger on them. I highly doubt, as an example, Kwamie Brown would have been the number one pick and received a nice guaranteed contract if he had been “exposed” during a year of college.

It would seem as though the players union would also like OAD as the straight to the NBA model gives 6-8 18 year olds jobs that would have gone to veterans.

OAD is not particularly good for college basketball but I doubt that is of much concern to the NBA.

38 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’m suprised the NBA is doing away with OAD as they are the biggest beneficiaries.  They get to see potential OAD players play against decent (college) talent for a year before pulling the trigger on them. I highly doubt, as an example, Kwamie Brown would have been the number one pick and received a nice guaranteed contract if he had been “exposed” during a year of college.

It would seem as though the players union would also like OAD as the straight to the NBA model gives 6-8 18 year olds jobs that would have gone to veterans.

OAD is not particularly good for college basketball but I doubt that is of much concern to the NBA.

It's actually good for the NBA and NCAA. It's good for the NBA, not so much because of scouting, but more because it gives kids like Zion, Barrett, Trae Young (last year), etc. a year in major college basketball to build their brand. When kids were going straight from high school the NBA fans didn't know who they were, so the league and teams struggled to market them. It was tough when your team was drafting a high school kid at #8 that nobody knew and you couldn't sell to the fan base and corporate sponsors. It's really all about marketing/sales.

For the NCAA, while I don't like the rule as a fan, the NCAA absolutely benefits from having the above mentioned guys and all the rest of the one and done studs in college basketball for even just one year. 

Well it has turned into this “well why should I have to go to school for the NBA? Why should the NBA have requirements?” A narrative created by brats. But it’ll be good for the NCAA. The NBA is going to miss on a lot of kids as there will be A LOT of kids leaving after HS. But CBB will have kids playing who want to be playing CBB. And you’ll see a lot more 3-4 year players.