Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

IU vs UC Davis

23 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is what keeps me hopeful we can compete for a Big Ten title. We're in the top 30 in adjO and adjD according to KenPom. If we improve, like I think we can/should, well be a top 25 team competing for a top 4 seed.

I also am looking at individual improvements from our frosh and Justin Smith. He's an important cog with how he could be extremely difficult to defend, if he starts playing to his potential.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We were top 20 with McRoberts

14 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Of course you can judge character based on what you see....what else is there to judge? (Serious question, btw). What you do IS who you are. Of course we all have failings, but that is the measure- what we do. 

How about instead "attacking" their character, let's say I'm challenging it. Prove me wrong, Hoosiers, cuz what I saw tonight wasn't a tenacious bunch of competitors that demand victory. It was a group that was out-hustled by some schlubs and did  just enough to get by because they didn't want to be bothered. It doesn't sit well with me. Apparently a lot of people here saw a different game than I did. Finally,  If they are THAT tired then play Moore, Blackmon and Jager or shut-up about it. Juwan played the entire game but wasn't taking plays off. 

Anyway, enough of that stuff. I wasn't looking to argue. I wanted to vent. I think IU mailed it in tonight and it REALLY chapped my hide. 

I don't have any idea how you can judge someone's character based on one night, one game, and when kids....kids have played their 3rd game in 6 days in a brand new season.   You can question their effort.  I get that.  But these are the same kids who gave great effort before; so all of a sudden their character changes?   I disagree with you.  

If it continues?  If it becomes a pattern?  Then I would agree you can begin to challenge their character.  But..I haven't seen a pattern.  And I think a 3rd game in 6 days with 3 freshmen and a big man clearly not yet in shape is a valid reason for a one game anomaly.  

Just have to weather this storm of injuries and hope we can get everyone back (minus Hunter?) and up to speed by January and February.
We need race back up front. I can see why fitzner did not start at St.Mary's. If the matchup are right he can drain some threes but he's limited other than that. 5 to 10 man a game should be max for him imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Fun trivia from Nick Baumgart - 

Robert Phinisee already has two games with at least 8 assists thru his first six. Robert Johnson played 129 career games w/o ever getting 8 assists in one game (had 7 3x) Yogi Ferrell had 14 such career games, including 3 as a frosh. But it took him 16 games to get there.

I had a chance to watch/rewatch the game this morning with a friend who has BTN plus. I also spent time on the boards before the game, and most comments were doom and gloom. I'm not always glass half full, but it wasn't as bad as some are portraying from what I saw. UC Davis was very, very hot on a couple of those runs. Several of their many threes they hit were contested by Morgan and/or had a player in the face. Play this game 5 more times and IU wins by 30+ each time. 

That said, while watching we were calling out bad/sloppy plays, who was out of position, etc.  It's quite clear how badly the injuries are hurting us.  Many turnovers were from missed/bobbled catches that weren't bad passes. Many UC Davis points were from two of our subs being WAY out of position or getting burnt on defense.  Very, very rarely would RL, JM or RP be at fault. A few times there were questionable plays from them, sure, but not often. Bobbled catches and general lack of court awareness are also things Archie has no control over while so many are hurt. If players are too slow or don't have the awareness to play good defense, they'll be on the bench when the injured players come back. And when that happens, this team is very different. It also spreads our offense out. Also, Green is back. Refill your glasses.