Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2018 College Cup

I am pretty dissapointed in everyone's reaction. Horrible night but amazing year (and as you know from board I am often somewhat negative when warranted). I am about to post a nice eulogy for the last couple seasons and I hope when everyone steps back they realize what a remarkable 2 yr run its been.

Just now, Aaron said:

I am pretty dissapointed in everyone's reaction. Horrible night but amazing year (and as you know from board I am often somewhat negative when warranted). I am about to post a nice eulogy for the last couple seasons and I hope when everyone steps back they realize what a remarkable 2 yr run its been.

We ended last season with no hardware. We did win the Big Ten this time, but all anyone will remember was that we couldn't win the last game with a Big Ten team. It's very disappointing, no matter how you look at it.

First off congrats to Maryland who earned it and is one of the few teams who can always play us evenly and I fully expect them to beat Akron for title after watching both teams.

As for us disappointing ending to a great 2 year run. It sucks we never got a national title but this was finally elite IU soccer again that we have missed for 15 years (minus the tourney run in 2012). In a lot of ways this 2 year run reminds me of the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 basketball teams as well as the 2013 and 2014 baseball teams. All were elite teams with great kids and chemistry who never got that final title but won multiple conference championships and were some of the greatest teams in program history.

The major difference though is you knew with Basketball and Baseball if they didn’t get that title it was going to be a long time before they had another chance. With this soccer team while it’s the end of this great group I am confident we will build a great group like this in the near future. I have no idea what to expect next year but we will still have talent to make tourney and be a top 25 team. Winning a title though will be very very tough but with Yeagley recruiting at a top level again (we have another 5* in the fold for next year) it won’t be long before we are back at the top.

For a long time I wondered where this program was headed and what had happened to our elite program but despite failing to win a title last couple years I think we are finally back for most part and am confident in everything we are doing. I feel terrible for these guys they never won a title but thank them for a heck of a 2 year run that has brought IU soccer back to where it belongs.

Sadly IU had a terrible first half again. Got in a hole. Couldn’t get the equalizer. Gutman has not had his normal great performance.

Sucks for such a tremendous season to end with a poor performance. Maryland’s first half set the tone and IU has been unable to make the big play that is had all year.

Figure IU loses Muse, Rennicks, and Dorsey to the pros. Iu could have to replace 12 players

Great season Hoosiers. Big 10 champs. Big 10 tourney champs. Thought they could win in but Pines is an unbelievable defensive player. He seemed to be there every time. They took Gutman out of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

We ended last season with no hardware. We did win the Big Ten this time, but all anyone will remember was that we couldn't win the last game with a Big Ten team. It's very disappointing, no matter how you look at it.

A team we have beaten twice before and we come out flat against them.  

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Its disappointing no doubt but these last 2 years have been amazing seasons back at the top after program had slipped. Two years ago I was ready to fire Todd Yeagley and am now very confident in the programs direction moving forward.

In the this should surprise no one category Maryland knocks off Akron 1-0 for the title. Defense wins championships and like they did all tournament not allowing a goal Pines dominated on the back line for the Terps. I really wanted our shot at Akron and think we could of gotten them. Their Defense is pretty mediocre and like Maryland we have the horses to shut down any attack.

Like last yr when I said elite defense wins championships and it was bound to be us or Stanford for that reason the same thing applied for us or Maryland this year. Both times unfortunately it was the other elite defense in the College Cup lifting the trophy instead of us. At least this time though it was another Big Ten team (yup still getting use to Terps in Big 10) which is good for conference.