Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

johnsoniu

Indiana vs Penn St Game Thread

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Purdue hired a winning coach and look what happened.

I want Allen to succeed because I really like him but he is losing the Purdue/Indiana battle.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Who thinks Purdue beats OSU tonight?

Purdue hired a winning coach and look what happened.

I want Allen to succeed because I really like him but he is losing the Purdue/Indiana battle.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It took Purdue 3 tries to find a football coach that will leave them when they have sustained success. Indiana did take a bit of a risk with Allen but if we hit he likely stays. At the time he was an incredibly hot assistant so his hire makes sense.

Now keeping him to long may not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Nope. USF can out-recruit us. I want to say that again. USF can out-recruit us.

Why do you say that?  I can tell you that USF is extremely frustrated by losing so many kids from their own backyard to Indiana.

9 minutes ago, KDB said:

But they're not..?

Oh yeah, without a doubt. They’re getting 2nd tier Florida kids. With the possible exception of Penix, we’re getting 3rd tier Florida kids. 

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

Oh yeah, without a doubt. They’re getting 2nd tier Florida kids. With the possible exception of Penix, we’re getting 3rd tier Florida kids. 

I'm sorry, but where are you getting your info?  We have multiple players that USF offered but didn't get.  

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm sorry, but where are you getting your info?  We have multiple players that USF offered but didn't get.  

Just being snarky after another loss. I don’t pretend to know football recruiting as well as I know basketball. But I’ve seen USF multiple times and I’m pretty comfortable saying that they have a more talented roster than we do. 

9 minutes ago, Demo said:

Just being snarky after another loss. I don’t pretend to know football recruiting as well as I know basketball. But I’ve seen USF multiple times and I’m pretty comfortable saying that they have a more talented roster than we do. 

There's more to winning than recruiting.  I know first hand how frustrated USF is with losing so many recruits to us.

They just have an easier schedule and better coaching.

Our recruiting ticked up under Wilson and has improved a bit more under Allen, who has only been here two years. I think we COULD have an identity of being a running/play-action team - Coleman and Howard are both balling in the pros and we have a nice stable of RBs that will only get deeper and more talented next year with more seasoning and the addition of a 4* back.

I think it’s way early to write off Allen. The team is getting deeper and his first class is looking really nice as freshmen. We can’t be a program that shuffles coaches every three years. I think that if we match today’s effort we beat Minnesota and we’re still alive for a bowl.

I think Debord called a better game with Penix in, and Penix’s stiffer passes made the horizontal elements of the offense look better, but I’d still like to upgrade there in the offseason. I think Penix would’ve taken Ramsey’s job if he hadn’t gotten hurt, hopefully it’s not too bad and he can at least return for his fourth game before the end of the season 

Edited by Aeggie

4 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Josh, 2017, and others?  I rest my case.  The ball takes an extra half second or more to get to receivers; and Ramsey's just not that accurate despite what his stats say.  I honestly don't know how you can watch him and disagree with that.    He is so limited and just can't make down field throws consistently; so his yards per attempt are among the worst in the country.   

But...way too many :

Boneheaded mistakes

Bad decisions

Bad calls

Bad penalties

You can't beat even a decent team playing that way

Had law school stuff and couldn't watch the second half. What happened? His final numbers didn't look too bad.  

You seem to think that I believe Ramsey is a stud or something. I don't. I've said he's an average quarterback and I stand by that. If the other aspects of the team didn't suck so much he'd be an adequate qb. He can give you 250 yards a game. He's not the reason for any of our losses this year. 

22 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

We arent going anywhere under Allen. Idk why they cant go get someone like Neil Brown from Troy or some mid major program. Its ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

In three years we will be in the exact same spot. Will bringing in a winning mid major staff work? IDK, but couldnt hurt to try.

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Had law school stuff and couldn't watch the second half. What happened? His final numbers didn't look too bad.  

You seem to think that I believe Ramsey is a stud or something. I don't. I've said he's an average quarterback and I stand by that. If the other aspects of the team didn't suck so much he'd be an adequate qb. He can give you 250 yards a game. He's not the reason for any of our losses this year. 

Then we agree.  Sort of.   He's average.  I think a bit below.   And I think his inability to hit receivers played a significant role in the loss today; and his arm limits our playbook.  Losing to Iowa, OSU, and MSU were predictable and no, I don't blame him exclusively or even much for those losses.  My critique of him is more toward the DeBord comments because you just can't call the kind of plays you can with a QB who has a strong arm; and today made that very obvious.

I made that comment after he made a throw on an out pattern that arrived to the receiver who got hit immediately.  Penix made the same throw earlier, and the receiver had time to catch and turn to make a guy miss.    The ball took longer to get there from Ramsey; and it was plain to see.  He missed several open guys again; and just keeps hitting his check downs because he can't hit tight windows.   Penix can.   And did.  He has a very weak arm for a Big Ten QB, and I think it limits what our offense can really do.   

Penix was not great, but you can see what an arm can provide to this offense.  Some have been down on DeBord, and I thought the simple eyeball test today clearly showed the difference and exposed Ramsey's weakness.  He is a decent game manager; but I think he struggles to make the right read on RPO's and gets happy feet too quickly.   And you know I think his arm's weak and limits our offense.  One throw in the 3rd quarter really exposed that.  I'm sorry Penix got hurt...Ramsey's our guy, so let's see if he can win two more.  Today, we should have won.  Too many mistakes.

6 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

The three game skid I predicted. Another moral victory though......

and i would imagine that will turn into a 7 game skid...don't see them winning another game !!

12 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Josh, 2017, and others?  I rest my case.  The ball takes an extra half second or more to get to receivers; and Ramsey's just not that accurate despite what his stats say.  I honestly don't know how you can watch him and disagree with that.    He is so limited and just can't make down field throws consistently; so his yards per attempt are among the worst in the country.   

But...way too many :

Boneheaded mistakes

Bad decisions

Bad calls

Bad penalties

You can't beat even a decent team playing that way

I have no idea what's going on here.  Are you asking me a question or are you mentioning a different Josh?