Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Then the new IU AD branding guidelines are stupid. Taking last names off jerseys provides zero benefit to the football team. It can only hurt them, there's no point in doing it. 

Maybe. Or maybe they recognize that most of the Indiana fanbase will eat up the “name on the front” business. USC, PSU, and Notre Dame all use nameless jerseys. Indiana isn’t any of those schools, but there’s actual empirical evidence that the nameless jersey doesn’t hurt recruiting unlike your stance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Maybe. Or maybe they recognize that most of the Indiana fanbase will eat up the “name on the front” business. USC, PSU, and Notre Dame all use nameless jerseys. Indiana isn’t any of those schools, but there’s actual empirical evidence that the nameless jersey doesn’t hurt recruiting unlike your stance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I doubt most of the fan base will eat up the "name on the front" business. It's gimmicky.  USC, PSU and Notre Dame are all football powerhouses. So sure, it doesn't hurt great football programs. That's not IU. Indiana has traditionally been one of the worst P5 programs in the country. We need all the help we can get, and this does nothing to help us. As I've seen on social media, past and present players do not like the decision. Athletes want to build brands for themselves. It's hard enough doing that as an IU football player, taking their names off their jerseys makes it even harder. 

38 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

What has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap that football won't have names on jerseys?  This guy.

There are far bigger things to worry about in regards to IUFB than that.

It doesn't really matter if fans do or don't like it, though. We can debate our opinions on it, but what matters is whether players like it. We've seen that many of them do not.

Taking names off the jerseys isn't going to make the team better. Selfish players aren't suddenly going to buy in and put team over themselves. I see no benefit to the football program in doing this. If there is no benefit, only a possible detriment, why even do it?

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It doesn't really matter if fans do or don't like it, though. We can debate our opinions on it, but what matters is whether players like it. We've seen that many of them do not.

Taking names off the jerseys isn't going to make the team better. Selfish players aren't suddenly going to buy in and put team over themselves. I see no benefit to the football program in doing this. If there is no benefit, only a possible detriment, why even do it?

Having names on the back isn't going to make the team better.  Removing them won't make the team worse.  The impact on the skill level of the players is nonexistent.

IF a recruit chose against IU because of something this minor that doesn't sound like a recruit we should want.  It'd probably be because of bigger things like scheme, relationship with coaches/players, etc.

14 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Having names on the back isn't going to make the team better.  Removing them won't make the team worse.  The impact on the skill level of the players is nonexistent.

IF a recruit chose against IU because of something this minor that doesn't sound like a recruit we should want.  It'd probably be because of bigger things like scheme, relationship with coaches/players, etc.

I personally disagree that there won't be a negative impact, but even if there isn't one there still isn't a positive impact either. So why do it? Was Fred Glass sitting in his office thinking of ways to make IU a better football team when he suddenly thought "a ha! I know what will do the trick. Let's take their names off their jerseys"? Like it just seems completely pointless to me. Of the many problems with IU football having names on jerseys definitely wasn't one of them. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I doubt most of the fan base will eat up the "name on the front" business. It's gimmicky.  USC, PSU and Notre Dame are all football powerhouses. So sure, it doesn't hurt great football programs. That's not IU. Indiana has traditionally been one of the worst P5 programs in the country. We need all the help we can get, and this does nothing to help us. As I've seen on social media, past and present players do not like the decision. Athletes want to build brands for themselves. It's hard enough doing that as an IU football player, taking their names off their jerseys makes it even harder. 

You doubt that the same fanbase that freaks out any time there's mention of changing the basketball uniforms or having names on them won't buy into the same idea for football? Agree to disagree then. 

If you're a football player building a brand for yourself,  people will recognize you for your play. I think people are overplaying the importance of a name on a jersey.

Either way, I really don't think this matters. We're rebranding, great. Happens to every brand all the time. The negative reaction you see from current or past players is just because people don't like change. I think some here just want any reason to rip on the AD. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I personally disagree that there won't be a negative impact, but even if there isn't one there still isn't a positive impact either. So why do it? Was Fred Glass sitting in his office thinking of ways to make IU a better football team when he suddenly thought "a ha! I know what will do the trick. Let's take their names off their jerseys"? Like it just seems completely pointless to me. Of the many problems with IU football having names on jerseys definitely wasn't one of them. 

Of the problems IUFB will have going forward not having names definitely won't be one of them.  Maybe Glass wants a consistent theme throughout the department instead of some programs with names and others without.

It's no secret I have issues with some of the decisions Glass has made, and I'm far more concerned he hired a head FB coach without a search than I am something as minor as this.

13 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Prove it hurts recruiting and I'll listen. Otherwise, this is complaining just to complain. As many others have said, winning is the only thing that will fix Indiana football.

True but doing something that upsets your legacy players sure isn’t going to help 

36 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The amount of faith some people on here place in an AD who has overseen a football program with a 40-77 record in their time on the job is baffling.

In all fairness, is there any AD that has overseen an IU football program with a winning record over their tenure?