Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Tom Crean to be next Georgia coach / 6 year 3.2 Million annually

33 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

It is really a Hell of a hire for Georgia. They just got one of a handful of coaches with a FF and multiple S16's outside the active HOF coaches. SEC is fairly wide open in the middle and Georgia could easily be a top 6 team in the SEC on average under Crean. They have done crazy resources and recruiting pipelines as well. Basketball program will go under radar because of football there. Great get. Pitt missed out.

Not so sure about a hell of a hire. I mean Mike Davis made a final four as well so there you go. I certainly think Georgia paid way to much for what they are getting. His ceiling is the sweet sixteen at best and I doubt he can recruit at Georgia like he did at IU.

Not so sure about a hell of a hire. I mean Mike Davis made a final four as well so there you go. I certainly think Georgia paid way to much for what they are getting. His ceiling is the sweet sixteen at best and I doubt he can recruit at Georgia like he did at IU.

Why not? Most of the players he recruited were out of state players. A few from Georgia if I recall. With the exception of a few 5* we never knew what we were getting. SEC top heavy but no meat in the middle. He can be a top 6 program there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Why not? Most of the players he recruited were out of state players. A few from Georgia if I recall. With the exception of a few 5* we never knew what we were getting. SEC top heavy but no meat in the middle. He can be a top 6 program there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

He can probably be a top 5-7 program in the conference I would think. But I can tell you he is never making a final four again and I doubt he ever advances past the 2nd game of the tourney imo. I am sure DAWG nation will be ok with that.  Though if crean wanted job security and a couple year pass like IU gave him he should have tried to get the Pittsburg job. I read they have like guys leaving and only three coming back. off of a 0-19 acc team. That would have been right up Creans alley

4 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

1, Crean reached a final 4 with his own players, not, Bobby Knights, Lute Olsen's, Jim Calhoun's or Matt Doughety's.

2. How can his ceiling be sweet 16, when he has a final 4?

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

1, Crean reached a final 4 with his own players, not, Bobby Knights, Lute Olsen's, Jim Calhoun's or Matt Doughety's.

It's called a fluke.  It is a very clear and definite outlier in his coaching career.  He may not be 'miss the NIT with two burgers boys' bad but he's sure as heck not Final Four good.

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It's called a fluke.  It is a very clear and definite outlier in his coaching career.  He may not be 'miss the NIT with two burgers boys' bad but he's sure as heck not Final Four good.

Good darn thing they didn't  hire Tony Bennett, would have really sucked for Georgia.

25 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

He can probably be a top 5-7 program in the conference I would think. But I can tell you he is never making a final four again and I doubt he ever advances past the 2nd game of the tourney imo. I am sure DAWG nation will be ok with that.  Though if crean wanted job security and a couple year pass like IU gave him he should have tried to get the Pittsburg job. I read they have like guys leaving and only three coming back. off of a 0-19 acc team. That would have been right up Creans alley

The coach they've had the last 9 years made it all the way to 2 1st round defeats. Crean will exceed that by a mile.

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Tony Bennett has literally nothing to do with a fluke Final Four not being indicative of Crean's actual coaching ability.

Fluke final four is probably what Kentucky is about to have, yet you'll give Cal credit...

19 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

They didn't hire him because he made a final 4 with Marquette.  

Just now, HoosierHoops1 said:

Fluke final four is probably what Kentucky is about to have, yet you'll give Cal credit...

Calimari has been there before, not counting the ones vacated, plus a few Elite 8s to his name.  I loathe Cal and think he represents everything wrong with collegiate sports wrapped in a suit.

Crean has one then can't get past the Sweet 16, plus he's missed the tourney at a 50% clip, hardly a comparison.

What do you want me to say that crean is the real deal? You clearly a huge fan of his.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Crean has one fluke final 4 14 years ago. He misses the tourney half the time. Why do you think he is so great?

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

What do you want me to say that crean is the real deal? You clearly a huge fan of his.

I'm of the belief that saying nothing would have been the best bet.

You're right; the only 2 options are very crappy or the real deal.

I can't believe the vitriol of grown men against someone who never actually did anything against their favorite team. He's gone, she's gone, your dog is gone, your high school football career is gone. Get over it.

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Crean has one fluke final 4 14 years ago. He misses the tourney half the time. Why do you think he is so great?

Never once did I say he was great or infer that he was great. But, for Georgia, he'll prob be comparatively great.

On 3/19/2018 at 7:37 PM, HoosierHoops1 said:

He is a mediocre coach. He is mostly just a salesman. He is good at selling himself. I think it is obvious he is not a good game coach. He won't do well at Georgia, just like he did poorly at IU.

28 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

He is a mediocre coach. He is mostly just a salesman. He is good at selling himself. I think it is obvious he is not a good game coach. He won't do well at Georgia, just like he did poorly at IU.

I think Crean will do well at Georgia. His inconsistency is what did him in at IU, but I think they will tolerate the drop-off seasons if they are pretty good every 2-3 years there. Maybe he has learned a little during his time off too. Based on his 27 minute opening statement, I'm not convinced of that, but I do think that is the right type of job for him.

1 minute ago, bigrod said:

I think Crean will do well at Georgia. His inconsistency is what did him in at IU, but I think they will tolerate the drop-off seasons if they are pretty good every 2-3 years there. Maybe he has learned a little during his time off too. Based on his 27 minute opening statement, I'm not convinced of that, but I do think that is the right type of job for him.

I don't think he's capable of real self assessment. So I doubt he's learned 

56 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

You might be right, but his 3 sweet 16 at IU in 5 years is 1 more than Georgia has amassed in school history.

The "poorly" he had here would be a huge program upgrade there.

I don't think people understand the basketball history of Georgia. They just want to think national title or bust. But for Georgia, NIT runs are great. A Sweet 16 would be a miracle. 

Not sure this train of thought applies anymore. They are expecting results. Fox wasn’t horrible there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app