Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

#IUWBB @ Purdue - 7 pm ET/BTN

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

No idea who this commentator is but she loves her boilers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

TMI

In a half that would make Bo Ryan proud, its tied at 22. I thought BTN had the wrong quarter on the screen. Also, women's games fly by.

Well looks like we may have successfully finished off Sharon Versyp's career in West Lafayette. As I said she is much like PU's Mike Davis winning a ton with Kristi Curry's players for a couple years but has since dragged the program somewhat into the mud by their standards. The last time IU put the final nail in someone's coaching career it was John L. Smith in football after we pummeled MSU in 07 (although I expect Versyp to stick out the year unlike Smith who was fired after the game) and basically sent them back to the top with DiAntonio so I am hoping PU doesn't go out and get a great coach who resurrects what is their best sport historically. I don't feel sorry for Versyp though after what she did to IU after one year. At the time I thought we lost a great coach but given how she can barely tread water at a very successful PU program I have a feeling we would have lost big with her eventually given our somewhat mediocre history.

As for IU I am very pleased with the win and think this is very much like IU under Crean 2 years ago where Yogi picked the team up and all of the sudden won big at the end of the year. Only difference is Buss picked up the team a bit to late to win the Big Ten or even get an NCAA Tourney bid but she has put a disastrous season back on the rails and probably saved us a WNIT bid that we could very well win the whole tourney with how well we are playing. 

I am still not sold on this program long term and see many of the same issues I saw with the Men's team under Crean (a lot of talent with ridiculous turnovers and poor discipline) and am afraid once Buss and Cahill go next year will be in the toilet and probably delayed an inevitable needed coaching move (I hope I am wrong and this really works but I see to many problems).

Moren vs Versyp is a lot like what Crean vs Gross was with maybe the two worse coaches in the conference going at it except PU is the one with the historic success instead of us.

28 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Maybe Purdue will hire Moren. Lol. I actually trust Glass to make a better hire. He's raised his standards.

Trust me Moren is NOT a better coach than Versyp. They are both equally mediocre. If you flipped them between IU and PU, records would probably be about the same still at each school. Versyp has had slightly more success than Moren since PU's pedigree is a lot higher in women's b-ball but she has been a lot less successful than any recent coach they have had in last 30 years.  

PU Women's Bball is IU soccer and she is their Mike Freitag. They have just stupidly held onto her a lot longer than most programs would given her lack of success and their high standards. In the last 8 years she has missed the tourney twice which is the first time that has happened for them since the early 90's and has not been out of the first weekend in that time. Prior to that between 94 and 09 they had been to 10 Sweet 16's, 8 Elite 8's, 3 Final Fours and a National Championship.

Fortunately when IU slipped under Freitag it only took them 5 years to realize they had made a mistake (and Freitag won a title with Yeagley's players unlike Versyp who could only use Curry's players to get as far as the Elite 8).

Trust me I love that PU continues to hold onto Versyp and drive their best program into the ground but from an observing standpoint its long past the time to fire her.