Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Game Thread: Howard, Sunday 8pm BTN

Sorry if it has been covered here but man it really irks me to see late arriving fans and empty seats.  I know the folks on this board are die hard fans...no fingers pointed here.  But I wonder what it will take to get our B-town base to better support the program.  I've heard the excuses but when I flip on our rivals' games and see packed houses from the tip to buzzer, those excuses fall flat.  If I lived there, I'd be there.  Come' on Hoosier fans, represent!!!!  
Yes I know this is like beating a dead horse.  Only it isn't.  Our campus culture was once rabid about hoops and there is no reason it couldn't be so again.  

Most the empty seats I saw last night was in the reported biggest student section in country Balcony was empty as well

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, JHoosier914 said:

Just curious--what website/app do you use for these stats?  I like the layout but don't know the medium used..

I copy from Twitter.  Mike Miller @MikeMillerHT in particular but Pegram, Osterman and others also tweet this info.     You can also do a screenshot from the SidearmStats website but the clarity isn't always the greatest. 

6 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Most the empty seats I saw last night was in the reported biggest student section in country Balcony was empty as well

We have the most spoiled, entitled students in the country.   Sorry, but when you're more concerned with big heads and costumes and being noticed than you are in the basketball team/game and you're then fair weather; I lose interest in you quickly.   No to toot the old guy horn because it wasn't THAT long ago; but we got 4-6 games a season, and we sat in the balcony for at least 2.   Some of the atmosphere in that place is fantastic; but sometimes it's sterile and bland.   If Indiana Basketball is going to be Indiana Basketball; it takes more than the 18 or so people directly involved with the product on the floor.

We have the most spoiled, entitled students in the country.   Sorry, but when you're more concerned with big heads and costumes and being noticed than you are in the basketball team/game and you're then fair weather; I lose interest in you quickly.   No to toot the old guy horn because it wasn't THAT long ago; but we got 4-6 games a season, and we sat in the balcony for at least 2.   Some of the atmosphere in that place is fantastic; but sometimes it's sterile and bland.   If Indiana Basketball is going to be Indiana Basketball; it takes more than the 18 or so people directly involved with the product on the floor.

I wish they could find a way to fill the GA section once the game tips. There are all those empty seats in the GA section from students with those tickets not going. And there are hundreds more die-hard students sitting in the balcony because thats the ticket they got for that game.

It would be great if they could enforce some sort of rule, that once the first TV timeout hits, any empty seats in GA are first come first serve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

26 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I think the difference is that you were watching title contenders... When I was there (Zeller/Oladipo) we at least BELIEVED we were watching Banner #6 in the making. You have to remember very, very few students at Indiana now were even old enough to realize what was happening during our last title game.

2 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I think the difference is that you were watching title contenders... When I was there (Zeller/Oladipo) we at least BELIEVED we were watching Banner #6 in the making. You have to remember very, very few students at Indiana now were even old enough to realize what was happening during our last title game.

That was certainly a factor, but if we want to be what we all want to be; we can't have an apathetic student section.  I agree with you on the tickets.  There weren't as many available.  But that's why I said they were spoiled.  You're also right about their age; but again, fair weather fans are fair weather fans.  The Paint Crew is busy and full no matter what that team looks like.  The fans create the atmosphere.  The atmosphere creates the environment and is part of the culture.   That matters to recruits, and it matters to our ability to get national TV games, etc.  The opposite of love is not hate.  It's apathy; and I will not stay quiet if our students become apathetic.    We all want Romeo Langford.  I promise you, that kid does not want to play in front of a fan base which is only with the team win or win.   No kid does.  It matters.

5 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

Kids in college now don’t know Indiana basketball like it was unless their parents were showing them. In 2002, the oldest college kid was probably 5 or 6 years old. I myself was 8. But I was lucky enough to have my dad telling me stories, showing me newspapers, books and watching reruns of games like the 76’, 81’ and 86’ title games as well as MJ’s and Shaq’s Last games(which oddly came against IU). But if kids weren’t taught that, they won’t know of that. They won’t know of Hoosier Hysteria(Or Midnight Madness)when it wasn’t at 6 o’clock at night or how exciting it was. Robert Johnson didn’t know if IU’s history until he was on campus his freshman year and he was being recruited by us! It is a lack of historical knowing and pride. 

Robert Johnson may not have.  But I promise you kids from around here know.  Tradition is tradition.   People who truly understand will always know.  That's exactly why any coach at IU needs to recruit from the inside out.  This is a unique place with a unique culture.  If a kid doesn't understand that, he'll look like Johnson looks sometimes.  Like a disinterested bystander.  

DIsclaimer :  This is my opinion, and I've never wavered from it.  I know many disagree, but in my own head, my evidence speaks for itself.  So many players beginning with Bracey Wright et al.  Has anyone seen he or Robert Strickland since they graduated?  Those are 2 examples, but they were "help is on the way."   Those two started my belief (it was unspoken before) that Indiana needed to recruit from the inside out.  Culture matters.  In my opinion.

I think it is a bold statement to complain about the Assembly Hall atmosphere because of a Sunday night game against Howard. It also doesn't help that IUDM was this weekend so a lot of students were probably either worn out from that and sleeping or catching up on the homework they couldn't do while at the marathon.

I think it is a bold statement to complain about the Assembly Hall atmosphere because of a Sunday night game against Howard. It also doesn't help that IUDM was this weekend so a lot of students were probably either worn out from that and sleeping or catching up on the homework they couldn't do while at the marathon.

That affected the Friday game too. Frankly I'm sick of the lazy entitled students skipping opening week non conference games to raise 4 million every year for the kids. The nerve of them

Kids in college now don’t know Indiana basketball like it was unless their parents were showing them. In 2002, the oldest college kid was probably 5 or 6 years old. I myself was 8. But I was lucky enough to have my dad telling me stories, showing me newspapers, books and watching reruns of games like the 76’, 81’ and 86’ title games as well as MJ’s and Shaq’s Last games(which oddly came against IU). But if kids weren’t taught that, they won’t know of that. They won’t know of Hoosier Hysteria(Or Midnight Madness)when it wasn’t at 6 o’clock at night or how exciting it was. Robert Johnson didn’t know if IU’s history until he was on campus his freshman year and he was being recruited by us! It is a lack of historical knowing and pride. 

That makes sense.

I notice how we’re talking about players fitting Archie’s style and things of that nature. One recruit that comes to mind is Aaron Henry. I think he would of fit Archie’s style so so well! I love the 2018 recruiting class, don’t get me wrong. But I think Henry would of flourished

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On November 14, 2017 at 4:53 PM, HooHooHoo22 said:

I notice how we’re talking about players fitting Archie’s style and things of that nature. One recruit that comes to mind is Aaron Henry. I think he would of fit Archie’s style so so well! I love the 2018 recruiting class, don’t get me wrong. But I think Henry would of flourished

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think he would've done well too, but Hunter and Amderson committed first so it was unfortunate timing for him. He should succeed at MSU though.