Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

3 minutes ago, VO5 said:

While I wasn't extremely high on Forrester, I love the approach Archie is taking so far. He just recruited an entire starting 5 for the 18' class.

PG- Phinisee

SG/SF- Hunter

SG/SF- Anderson

PF- Thompson

C- Forrester

Looks like an excellent class already. Come on down Romeo and be the cherry on top.

I know he's just getting started and a case can be made for each one of those recruits. But, past this year, I think it's pretty well agreed upon no one is instant impact. I'm looking at 2018/2019:

5- Davis

4- Morgan

3- Hunter (?) Smith (?)

2- ?

1- Jones (?) Green (?)

with a solid, but developing bench. To me, that team doesn't compete in the B10 if you look at it objectively. 

I love what these recruits can be in a few years, but in the immediate, I think it's not so crazy to have some concern. Sure, a 4th year Phinnisee, a 3rd year Anderson, a 3rd year Forrester, a 4th year Durham, a 3rd year Moore etc etc etc...

I agree with establishing that foundation...and maybe that's what it takes. Foundation, then hit on your talents in '19/'20/'21 but at some point...

I think IU needs Romeo. I think IU needs Brooks. I think IU needs TJD. 

7 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

I know he's just getting started and a case can be made for each one of those recruits. But, past this year, I think it's pretty well agreed upon no one is instant impact. I'm looking at 2018/2019:

5- Davis

4- Morgan

3- Hunter (?) Smith (?)

2- ?

1- Jones (?) Green (?)

with a solid, but developing bench. To me, that team doesn't compete in the B10 if you look at it objectively. 

I love what these recruits can be in a few years, but in the immediate, I think it's not so crazy to have some concern. Sure, a 4th year Phinnisee, a 3rd year Anderson, a 3rd year Forrester, a 4th year Durham, a 3rd year Moore etc etc etc...

I agree with establishing that foundation...and maybe that's what it takes. Foundation, then hit on your talents in '19/'20/'21 but at some point...

Oh I agree with all of this. I wasn't insinuating they would come in and actually start right away, only that Arch got a recruit at every position for this class.

3 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Oh I agree with all of this. I wasn't insinuating they would come in and actually start right away, only that Arch got a recruit at every position for this class.

Didn't mean for it to seem like I was arguing your point, just quoted you bc I was branching off of it

Didn't mean for it to seem like I was arguing your point, just quoted you bc I was branching off of it

Almost makes you feel like he isn't a fan of what he inherited and he will be saying I have xxxx amount of spots. You guys are on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Almost makes you feel like he isn't a fan of what he inherited and he will be saying I have xxxx amount of spots. You guys are on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think there's likely more than a kernel of truth in that theory.  I made a comment earlier that by making the concerted effort to retain Durham, Smith and Moore, Archie didn't have to spend a lot of recruiting time and  effort to fill his roster for this season and could really jump into recruiting for '18 and '19.      

Im just not one bit worried. The new staff were really behind the 8 ball on 2018 kids yet they were able to identify and target kids AND (this is huge considering what we dealt with under Crean) get them to sign fairly easily. I still think we get a big fish and will be fine moving forward.

5- Davis
4- Morgan
3- Hunter (?) Smith (?)
2- ?
1- Jones (?) Green (?)

i couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

i couldn't agree more.

To further this thought. We finally appear to be putting competent BB players 1-12 or 13. The cream will likely rise to the top. But when? I think it'll happen faster than many think but it isn't Sean Miller plug and play recruiting yet.

I'm not sure how ready any of these 5 recruits will be day 1. That concerns me as the cupboard may be seemingly bare. But say, we add Langford.

Curtis Jones/Green
Langford
Justin Smith/Hunter
Morgan/Clifton
DD

That team will be good.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

To further this thought. We finally appear to be putting competent BB players 1-12 or 13. The cream will likely rise to the top. But when? I think it'll happen faster than many think but it isn't Sean Miller plug and play recruiting yet.

I'm not sure how ready any of these 5 recruits will be day 1. That concerns me as the cupboard may be seemingly bare. But say, we add Langford.

Curtis Jones/Green
Langford
Justin Smith/Hunter
Morgan/Clifton
DD

That team will be good.

I think we're in agreement here...landing the big fish vs not landing the big fish changes things significantly.

Granted I haven't seen him play in person, but I think you guys may be selling Hunter a little short. I think he's going to contribute as a freshman. Not saying he will set the world on fire, but I fully believe he will be in the rotation and possibly start at some point.

Curtis Jones/Green
Langford
Justin Smith/Hunter
Morgan/Clifton
DD

That team will be good.

That's a solid team without star power. However, a few of those players (Davis, Morgan, Moore, Smith, and Jones) could potentially have a breakout year. With the recruiting class that's being assembled we won't have years where we fall through the floor.

Langford and/or Garland could add a lot in 2018 to push us toward contending status. Any number of 2019 recruits could add to that with a solid core being built next season.

It's happening and I like it!