Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

On a scale of 1-10 how would we feel as a fanbase landing a class of:

Phinisee

Anderson

Hunter

Race Thompson.

While admittedly, it would be a very solid class, I won't be impressed to the point I believe we need to be unless we woo a 5 star (Dort, Garland, Romeo) or a trio in the top 70. (Carey, Race, Johns, Anderson, Duke, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'd give it a 7, solid top 20 class but nothing to write home about. If Anderson continues to play at the level he has been he could contribute as a guard/wing off the bench. Phinisee could wait a year or two behind Green and develop into a great upperclassman leader of the team. Thompson and Hunter would be given time to develop with Davis, Morgan, Moore, and Smith in front of them.

If we sub a Phinisee for Garland or Dort or Anderson for Romeo, Johnson, or Dort I'd be more excited for the class. If we land a possible one or two and done I could see us taking another lower ranked guard to possibly redshirt.

Edit: the scenarios I provided would give us a top 10 class with plenty of players who will contribute for 3- 4 years. That's the level we need to recruit at to consistently contend for B1G championships and deep tourney runs.

On a scale of 1-10 how would we feel as a fanbase landing a class of:

Phinisee
Anderson
Hunter
Race Thompson.

While admittedly, it would be a very solid class, I won't be impressed to the point I believe we need to be unless we woo a 5 star (Dort, Garland, Romeo) or a trio in the top 70. (Carey, Race, Johns, Anderson, Duke, etc).

8. Hired with 7 months to first signing period with most players never having talked to Archie. I would be ecstatic with that as our initial class and assume it won't be as good as that in this first year. Only Calipari switched schools and pulled a top class in his first year. Most other coaches take a second year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

8. Hired with 7 months to first signing period with most players never having talked to Archie. I would be ecstatic with that as our initial class and assume it won't be as good as that in this first year. Only Calipari switched schools and pulled a top class in his first year. Most other coaches take a second year.

Cal was in on a host of top recruits at Memphis and just needed to swing them to UK. They had just finished ncaa runner up to Kansas and had Derek Rose and another or 2 highly rated players.

CAM is, for the most part, looking at a whole other tier of recruits than he was in mid-March. He had relationships to build. Cal just had to sell pUKe and the S$C to players he was already in tight with.

Cal was in on a host of top recruits at Memphis and just needed to swing them to UK. They had just finished ncaa runner up to Kansas and had Derek Rose and another or 2 highly rated players.

CAM is, for the most part, looking at a whole other tier of recruits than he was in mid-March. He had relationships to build. Cal just had to sell pUKe and the S$C to players he was already in tight with.

Agreed. Kind of surprised people think anyone can come in and expect that coach to pull a top ten class in 7 months. I would be ecstatic with a top 20 class. I would hope for even better next year.

We have some inherent advantages that help right away, though.

> Players know we are a basketball-first school.

> Our facilities are outstanding.

> Lots of available minutes for the right freshmen.

> Coach Ed and Clif.

Not that those factors will equate to a top ten class, but they could.

We have some inherent advantages that help right away, though.
> Players know we are a basketball-first school.
> Our facilities are outstanding.
> Lots of available minutes for the right freshmen.
> Coach Ed and Clif.

Not that those factors will equate to a top ten class, but they could.

I don't disagree with those things. But we also have players that were also turned off by the old coaching staff or never recruited by IU now recruiting them. The ones turned off by the old staff were willing to look past the first three items so they obviously weren't critical then. Why would they be now? Most of the schools that are after these types of kids can list the same 3 items for their programs. Plus they have relationships built in. The newer kids I think have more of a chance due to being intrigued by the possibilities of the new staff. Hopefully I am wrong, but I see a solid but not spectacular class. A good class for momentum going into next year where I expect a top ten class.

I don't expect Archie to land a top 5 class but top 10 isn't out of the question. Add a Romeo, Garland, Dort, Johns, etc. to the 4 Fleek mentioned and you have a top 10 class.

This.
Get one of the five star guards we're pressing for, and add ANY other four of the 50-150 ranked players we're after, and voila!
Top ten class or better.

This.
Get one of the five star guards we're pressing for, and add ANY other four of the 50-150 ranked players we're after, and voila!
Top ten class or better.

There will be an opening at guard for a 5* frost to get plenty of playing time to show his talents at a blueblood program with what should be a solid team.

I could see us landing a couple of high end guards, a solid wing, and a stretch 4. That would be a top 10 class.

Agreed. Kind of surprised people think anyone can come in and expect that coach to pull a top ten class in 7 months. I would be ecstatic with a top 20 class. I would hope for even better next year.

No but given the fact the name indiana sells itself no reason he should not get a top twenty class when we have 5 grants.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I'm not as concerned with the rank as I am with CAM's ability to get his 'inside-out' recruiting model off and running. It will help if he's successful and the guys he brings in are mostly top 100 with perhaps a 5 star sprinkled in to boot.

I'm not as concerned with the rank as I am with CAM's ability to get his 'inside-out' recruiting model off and running. It will help if he's successful and the guys he brings in are mostly top 100 with perhaps a 5 star sprinkled in to boot.

IMO this should be ideal outcome this year and work backwards from here.

To his credit, Archie didn't just go after his Dayton targets/recruits and immediately tell them to "come on down".   Would have been the easy thing to do but it suggests to me he recognized he'd stepped up to the big leagues and he had to start aiming higher with his recruiting which he's done.  I'm still optimistic we're going to end up with a very solid and highly regarded '18 class. 

18 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

To his credit, Archie didn't just go after his Dayton targets/recruits and immediately tell them to "come on down".   Would have been the easy thing to do but it suggests to me he recognized he'd stepped up to the big leagues and he had to start aiming higher with his recruiting which he's done.  I'm still optimistic we're going to end up with a very solid and highly regarded '18 class. 

And it looks like the University of Washington has decided it wants to be Dayton.

For an example of a top 20 class according to 247 this year Texas A M is ranked 18th. They have 5 players signed. Their rankings are (53, 133, 150, 234, 243). That's good enough for a top 20 class. I'm thinking we can land a better class then that for 2018.

For an example of a top 20 class according to 247 this year Texas A M is ranked 18th. They have 5 players signed. Their rankings are (53, 133, 150, 234, 243). That's good enough for a top 20 class. I'm thinking we can land a better class then that for 2018.

Yes, I would hope we could do better than that. We need a few immediate contributors and unless some of those guys are OG Anonobi types then many of those guys won't contribute for a long time or at all