Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Doubt Alford would abandon ship at this point.. He's coaching a blueblood and has an annuity of "Ball's" coming his way over the next several years.
A lot of people saying, "I'd take him," or "___ would be good," but the reality is, it's not easy to pry a good coach from a winning team away from a situation where he knows the obstacles, is getting paid well, and winning games. At IU, you'd be dropping him into an unknown situation with new obstacles, and a bunch of question marks. Can we pay you? Yes. Are the facilities top notch? Yes. But that's not everything to everyone.... I think we all better start facing the fact that Crean is going to be here for at least another season.   

Seems according to a few people Alford reached out first

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I personally think Alford wants to come home. I also think that is the reason that Dakich always mentions his name when he talks about the possibility of replacing Crean.

Alford has a top 5 team, is coaching the most storied program in college basketball history in terms of championships, and is in LA. I'd gladly welcome him home, but damn, it seems like it would be hard for him to leave right now.

Oh thank god. Another level headed poster has picked up the argument against Alford. Preach, my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Honestly, beyond the fact that I dislike Alford's track record which includes both mild success similar to Crean's and an inexcusable moral blemish, I am convinced he would be given a much longer leash as the hometown hero if he underperformed as coach. Boosters seem hesitant to make a rash discussion firing Crean, and rightfully so, because instability is never good for a program. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to convince enough boosters to move on from Alford if he had success similar to what he has achieved in the past.

3 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I hope you're right... But everything I'm seeing and hearing other than the fact that Crean seems to think he'll be around next season, is a rumor. Some already shot down (IE the "Missouri will be the 'soft-landing' spot for Crean" stuff.)

Everything is a rumor until it happens in these scenarios, including the rumor that he wants to stay. I see a lot more information trending toward he gone-erooski.

If there is indeed a meeting between Glass and some boosters this evening, what are the chances some info gets leaked about it afterwards tonight that we end up knowing about before a presser comes a different day? 

1 minute ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Alford has a top 5 team, is coaching the most storied program in college basketball history in terms of championships, and is in LA. I'd gladly welcome him home, but damn, it seems like it would be hard for him to leave right now.

It has been said by multiple people that Alford was the one pushing to come to IU. I also think it might have to do with his family still living in New Castle if I'm not mistaken.

Refresh--Can't believe a presser hasn't been scheduled yet--Refresh--we're starting to repeat ourselves ---refresh----we need an answer one way or the other --refresh---almost to 1000 pages --refresh!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Chris Nieman said:

The only good things about California. While i lived there i felt like it was equal parts amazing and nightmare.

Those are the three main things with California as far as I'm concerned. Where did you live while there?

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Somebody take Crean, please!!!

Maybe Greg Marshall will reach out to Crean and offer him an assistant job? Kill two birds with one stone. Get rid of Crean and avoid Marshall. Whew

i wouldnt want to avoid marshall....one of the better coaches on the list and one of them that might actually come here at of all of them. im not so certain any of them would want to come after this fiasco.

Honestly, beyond the fact that I dislike Alford's track record which includes both mild success similar to Crean's and an inexcusable moral blemish, I am convinced he would be given a much longer leash as the hometown hero if he underperformed as coach. Boosters seem hesitant to make a rash discussion firing Crean, and rightfully so, because instability is never good for a program. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to convince enough boosters to move on from Alford if he had success similar to what he has achieved in the past.

Good news is alford rumor may be the farthest fetched one yet so i wouldn't stress to much about it

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

It has been said by multiple people that Alford was the one pushing to come to IU. I also think it might have to do with his family still living in New Castle if I'm not mistaken.

I saw a tweet that was later deleted by Justin Albers. Who else reported it? Just curious because I haven't seen much surrounding this rumor other than that.

i wouldnt want to avoid marshall....one of the better coaches on the list and one of them that might actually come here at of all of them. im not so certain any of them would want to come after this fiasco.

I just don't get the desire for him. Why does Indiana have to be the first real school he coaches at? Let him go to Illinois or something.