Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

cherrykd

Sports Illustrated says 80% chance Crean is out.

The very last sentence clearly says it all.  

" If Crean vacates, Indiana’s coaching search would dictate the market."

He talked about both Mack's and Miller's recent success and made it seem like the "logical" hire should be region based.  Isn't that an oxymoron considering in the same article he said "Indiana projects as the best job on the open market this season."  Wouldn't most of the logical fit here be a national search for the best available coach and not be a regional search?  Also, I wonder why Pete Thamel thinks Marshall doesn't seem like a good fit?  And zero mention of Donovan or Stevens.  Go figure.  

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/23/nc-state-indiana-coaching-carousel

Chris Mack is their frontrunner. I like it. I'm also a fan of Chris Collins. I think Donovan would be great but not sure how realistic that is ...

The New York Times had clinton a 92% chance of winning the election. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

He talked about both Mack's and Miller's recent success and made it seem like the "logical" hire should be region based.  Isn't that an oxymoron considering in the same article he said "Indiana projects as the best job on the open market this season."  Wouldn't most of the logical fit here be a national search for the best available coach and not be a regional search?  Also, I wonder why Pete Thamel thinks Marshall doesn't seem like a good fit?  And zero mention of Donovan or Stevens.  Go figure.  

I can only guess as to their reasoning. I think it is possible Donovan & Stevens are both set on staying in the NBA.

The regional part? Well, we all gripe about losing in-state players to the likes of MSU, Xavier, OSU and other schools in the region. Maybe he thinks a coach who already has established connections in-state would have a head start on recruiting?

2 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Marshall is very much a system coach, based on a full court press.   He's run his 2-2-1 press to success, but that doesn't work in the Big Ten.  Ask Tom Davis.

Just now, Old Friend said:

Marshall is very much a system coach, based on a full court press.   He's run his 2-2-1 press to success, but that doesn't work in the Big Ten.  Ask Tom Davis.  He didn't mention Donovan because Donovan's not coming.    I said last week he's not the answer and got blasted for it.  He's no more the answer for IU right now than Branch McCracken is.  If Stevens wants the job, it's his.  But he's not coming, either.

2 hours ago, Tom White said:

The regional part? Well, we all gripe about losing in-state players to the likes of MSU, Xavier, OSU and other schools in the region. Maybe he thinks a coach who already has established connections in-state would have a head start on recruiting?

That makes sense, I guess.  In my opinion losing in-state talent is par for the course.  Win championships and a chance to play in the NBA attracts talent, right?  Also, does Crean recruit hard in-state?  I could be wrong but I've always thought he really doesn't recruit that hard here, because he doesn't have to.  I mean we're talking about Indiana.  

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

Marshall is very much a system coach, based on a full court press.   He's run his 2-2-1 press to success, but that doesn't work in the Big Ten.  Ask Tom Davis.

Oh OK.  I get it now.  I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to X's and O's.  I still like Marshall though because he's a proven winner wherever he's coached.