Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Allen was the correct choice

Glass hired WIlson. He has to bear some responsibility for Wilson’s problems here. Fred does not know how to hire coaches. Wilson- failure. Moren- failure. Giving Crean the fat extension and waiting too long to fire him- failure. Allen- looking like a failure.

Todd Yeagley - looks like a good hire
Archie Miller - TBD but like the potential

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Yet our AD gave him a nice, big extension not terribly long before he was removed as HC. That either tells me our AD is out of touch with coaches, not good at his job or there are two sides to that story. 

This kind of comment is toxic and uninformed.  You (nor I, nor anyone here) know anything about what goes on internally or why things happen the way they do.  The first instinct of the incompetence of people is unhealthy and difficult to take seriously.   

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

How is Allen looking like a failure?  His recruits have barely played a down, and his roster this year was very depleted.  You don't win in the Big Ten, and especially the Big Ten East without a good QB and a decent line.   We had neither.  And lost two experienced skill players very early.    Reasons are not always excuses.   They guy built a defense that ranked 26th in the country two seasons after in ranked #120.   That's far from a failure in my book.

Glass' job description according to Michael McRobbie is VERY different than it is according to fans.  Our barometer is winning.  McRobbie is a European idealogue academe with a bias towards the east coast and the money that comes with it.  Glass' job is to make sure the athletic department doesn't lose money; RAISES money, to bolster academic performance among the athletic department and make sure kids get their "promised" education.  The ONLY program McRobbie cares about as far as winning is concerned is men's basketball.  Like others, I know what I know; and while I won't say all of that is absolute 100% fact; I WILL say it's as accurate as I can be.

GREAT post.  likelikelikelike.

13 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

How is Allen looking like a failure?  His recruits have barely played a down, and his roster this year was very depleted.  You don't win in the Big Ten, and especially the Big Ten East without a good QB and a decent line.   We had neither.  And lost two experienced skill players very early.    Reasons are not always excuses.   They guy built a defense that ranked 26th in the country two seasons after in ranked #120.   That's far from a failure in my book.

Glass' job description according to Michael McRobbie is VERY different than it is according to fans.  Our barometer is winning.  McRobbie is a European idealogue academe with a bias towards the east coast and the money that comes with it.  Glass' job is to make sure the athletic department doesn't lose money; RAISES money, to bolster academic performance among the athletic department and make sure kids get their "promised" education.  The ONLY program McRobbie cares about as far as winning is concerned is men's basketball.  Like others, I know what I know; and while I won't say all of that is absolute 100% fact; I WILL say it's as accurate as I can be.

If his job is to raise money I would think successful revenue sports would be important across the board. Not just basketball

40 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeagley was hardly a choice. Biggest no brainer ever. 

Lemonis another disaster to add to the list

Glass seems to like to go the coordinator/assistant route -  Lemonis, Allen, Wilson all weren't current HC's when they were hired. I'm giving Lemonis one more year since this will be his first full recruiting cycle. Tracy Smith might be available after this year if not. 

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If his job is to raise money I would think successful revenue sports would be important across the board. Not just basketball

Raising money and athletic revenue are different things.  See : Varsity Club.   See : Donations.

Those things are driven by men's basketball, which is a huge reason Crean was fired and the biggest reason Davis was asked to resign.  Donations go up when there is a positive impression of the department and university as a whole.  There is more to that than winning women's basketball games.    Football is kind of its own animal; and Indiana is doing everything it can to drive revenue there.   This is an impossibly difficult place to win.

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Raising money and athletic revenue are different things.  See : Varsity Club.   See : Donations.

Those things are driven by men's basketball, which is a huge reason Crean was fired and the biggest reason Davis was asked to resign.  Donations go up when there is a positive impression of the department and university as a whole.  There is more to that than winning women's basketball games.    Football is kind of its own animal; and Indiana is doing everything it can to drive revenue there.   This is an impossibly difficult place to win.

That's kind of my point two bad football hires or at least 1 bad and one questionable in IUs biggest potential area for growth. 

I would be curious if it's even possible for baseball to be a moneymaker. I doubt it but don't know the business side of that very well

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That's kind of my point two bad football hires or at least 1 bad and one questionable in IUs biggest potential area for growth. 

I would be curious if it's even possible for baseball to be a moneymaker. I doubt it but don't know the business side of that very well

Baseball at Indiana isn't a money maker.  It may be at 10 schools across the country.   Which was the bad football hire?  (DiNardo was a bad hire, but he was not a Glass hire)    Wilson took Indiana to back to back bowls for the first time since 1993, and his recruiting classes skyrocketed in rankings compared to what came before him.  Allen is an unknown as a head coach.  You'll never sell me on a guy being a bad hire when he took the defense from #120 to #26 in 2 years.  Players love the guy.  Local coaches love the guy, and he also has a top 50 recruiting class (which at Indiana is an upgrade, believe it or not).

This is not a football school; and it's impossibly hard to win here.  We are not going to get a top coach.  I hate to burst that bubble, but we aren't.  Neither is Kansas.  Neither is Kentucky.  Welcome to being a basketball school among high profile football programs.  That's reality.  I don't like it, but I accept it.

50 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Baseball at Indiana isn't a money maker.  It may be at 10 schools across the country.   Which was the bad football hire?  (DiNardo was a bad hire, but he was not a Glass hire)    Wilson took Indiana to back to back bowls for the first time since 1993, and his recruiting classes skyrocketed in rankings compared to what came before him.  Allen is an unknown as a head coach.  You'll never sell me on a guy being a bad hire when he took the defense from #120 to #26 in 2 years.  Players love the guy.  Local coaches love the guy, and he also has a top 50 recruiting class (which at Indiana is an upgrade, believe it or not).

This is not a football school; and it's impossibly hard to win here.  We are not going to get a top coach.  I hate to burst that bubble, but we aren't.  Neither is Kansas.  Neither is Kentucky.  Welcome to being a basketball school among high profile football programs.  That's reality.  I don't like it, but I accept it.

If I have to explain why Wilson was a bad hire then I'm not sure you will truly understand why he was a bad hire. 

Glass seems to like to go the coordinator/assistant route -  Lemonis, Allen, Wilson all weren't current HC's when they were hired. I'm giving Lemonis one more year since this will be his first full recruiting cycle. Tracy Smith might be available after this year if not. 

If Tracy Smith comes back, I’m fine with that.

44 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If I have to explain why Wilson was a bad hire then I'm not sure you will truly understand why he was a bad hire. 

Good God.  This condescending crap doesn't even warrant a response, but I can't help myself.   When did we start talking about off field stuff?   Glass knew Wilson would do what he did when he hired him, right?   He has impeccable foresight for a guy who was here 6 years, right?   Every coach who gets fired is a bad hire, right? Regardless of whether or not the reasons were on or off-field.  As someone said above, this logic makes Knight a bad hire.  It makes Woody Hayes a bad hire.  How incredibly stupid.  

Was the program in better shape when he left than when he got there?  Yes   Was our team deeper and more talented?  Yes.  Did the record improve and even stabilize at a level it hadn't in over 2 decades?  Yes.  Did we send more players to the NFL than we had before?  Yes.  

The benefit of hindsight for off-field behavior issues does not make Wilson a bad hire you can blame on the athletic director.  That is completely moronic and devoid of a valid point in the conversation at hand.   Good Lord.  The flawed logic of this is comical.  Believe me, I understand very well what you're trying to do there; and frankly it's kinda' elementary.  

Based on the things I saw from him here in Indianapolis, I thought he was a good hire to run the IU athletic department. I haven't seen anything so far to make me think otherwise. Having an attorney as AD is probably a good thing. I like his connections to the university and I think he gets the culture. Overall, we could and have in the past, done a lot worse.

It is only because IU has such low standards when it comes to athletics performance that he is able to keep his job.

Do you think those standards have been raised? Also, this will be difficult for you, but Old Friend laid it out pretty clearly... AD’s don’t need to know “sports”. They have way more complex things to worry about.