Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

Analysis: How many people REALLY expected IU to go into Iowa and come home with the outright B1G title?

I love to toot my own horn, so I'll note that I called it with confidence Sunday night. Watching Iowa play against OSU (having watched a good deal of OSU this year since my father-in-law is a huge fan) I could see they were beginning to show cracks in the exact places we would already be exploiting and while a lot of our match-ups were strength-on-strength, their strengths were like iron, dominant against most but unable to stay sharp over a long battle. We met their iron with steel and showed it.

Now, I was much less confident an hour before the game hearing RoJo wasn't coming back, since I thought his defense and the depth he adds would be needed at some point. And if you told me Yogi would shoot less than 30% from 2, we'd only shoot 50% of our free throws, be out-rebounded on the offensive glass, have a 25-17 foul differential (after end-of-game fouling), and Iowa was going to score 1.1 ppp? Well, there is no way I would have believed we could pull it off.

That's what makes this win so great, beyond the fact that Yogi deserves it, there are so many individual moments in the last quarter you can look to and say "I can't believe we messed that up and still won" or "I can't believe they called/didn't call that and we won" from missed open looks to missed free throws to leaving shooters open in the last 30 seconds to turnovers but we still toughed through it and scraped it out. That's scary for the fans, but a great quality to have in a team. There were a lot of reasons for the players to be frustrated and playing poorly in the last few minutes, but they still pushed and won. I like that.

And the last shot? That's why I said we were going to win. There are no legs in that shot. Iowa hit the same wall Indiana hit in the past and they won't overcome it easily. Especially heading out to go play another team who is enjoying a week's rest on Saturday. 

I have to admit, you won't see my hand...I did ask my usual question though...which team is going to show up?...I expected a decent season, but never did I expect what has happened...

Easy schedule or not, IU did not make the B10 schedule, they just played it...The thing I do like is that during their toughest stretch of the season they played like a championship team...

The other thing, to win the B10 you have to win at home, and they made AH a really bad place to play for visitors...

If you have been watching IUBB as long as I have, you find yourself remembering certain teams, not championship teams, but certain teams that did the unexpected...Teams that weren't expected to do squat, and come out of it as a special IU team...this group with all the weirdness going into the year...will be remembered...

I don't think it's a product of being positive or being negative, I just didn't expect Iowa to continue on its 3-week train wreck portion of the season. But the Hawkeyes did just that. I wonder if Iowa wins another game THIS SEASON!

I doubt it. Michigan is another team with fresh legs (haven't/won't have played since the previous Saturday) and we worked Iowa hard this game. Fran has totally lost the fans too. 

Great play by their bench though, if they can maintain it for these next few games they have a shot. I'd be nervous going into Michigan if I were Iowa because they will rock the house since they feel like they're playing to get off the bubble. It's going to be a very good game. KenPom has it as a toss-up.

That likely slides them to the 5 seed in the BTT too, which is not a great place for them to be. No idea what they'll play like during post-season.

My hand is NOT raised.  I'm with you Terry. I figured Iowa would cover the spread. 

At one point, I thought I was going to have to turn off the game.  I had gone into the game saying as long as we don't get blown out, and we play well, I won't complain. 

Then when we gave up that 14 point lead, I had to turn off my computer, as I was getting ready to post something I was going to regret later....  :)

I even had to get up and go into another room for a minute or two, because I was simply beside myself that we had given up the lead. 

My family, since my son left for college, refuses to be in the same room wtih me during an IU game.  Well, I really pissed off my wife and daughter when I started yelling and screaming when Iowa missed that last shot as time expired.... 

All I can say is: WHAT A GAME!!!!!!

I really DID expect IU to win, less from a fan perspective (although you won't find many bigger fans) and more from the fact that we appeared to be peaking while Iowa seemed to be slumping.

I sat with my dog's head in my lap, and she gets really, really upset if I start cussing at the TV so I had to behave myself or face her wrath. I was surprisingly cool -- and still believing we were going to win -- even when Iowa took that lead. I saw Iowa kick the lead away Sunday at OSU against a lesser team, and I had confidence we would ****** it away.

And I am shocked that the word I used (a synonym for take) was blacked out with *'s. I know it's also a slang vulgar term for a part of the female anatomy, but that never crossed my mind until after I saw the post with its *****

I felt the Hoosiers would win the last two games and said so in another thread.  Iowa has looked worn down in their losing stretch, and did in this game as well.  Uthoff's shots throughout the game were falling short.  As mentioned in a post above. the two desperation 3 point heaves at the end were both short.  In one of Iowa's previous games, can't remember which one, Woodbury was so gassed near the end he couldn't even run the court and TV analyst even made note of that.

I told a friend of mine at work who is a big Wisconsin fan, that if Gezell gets in foul trouble, Iowa is in trouble.  He is essentially the only Iowa point guard of any mention.  Fran pulled Gezell for a good portion of the first half after picking up his second foul.  IU goes on a big run,  Conversely, Yogi picks up his second foul, in the first half, and Crean leaves him in the game.  CTC showing confidence in his star point guard to play smart, and did he ever. Didn't get called for another foul the rest of the game, hits the massive three pointer near the end of the game, plays 37 minutes.  In a huge game like this, you would think Fran would have stayed with his senior point guard as Crean did - advantage Crean.  If Yogi hits those two free throws, or Bryant hits both free throws after the big rebound on Yogi's second miss, the lead would have been 7, 3 possessions, with 13 seconds, and a less dramatic finish

Not me and for pretty much all the same reasons Hutch said. I would also add that I didn't expect us to shoot that well on the road. I figured we would keep the B1G race interesting until the final game.

I did.  Until Johnson got hurt.  Iowa not playing very well, going the direction Indiana has until this season late in the year.  Wasn't surprised...we're more connected right now and going in a better direction than they are and they were.

Yeah, for me it all depends on what point in time we're capturing. February 15th? No, I didn't think we could play on the road well enough. Then Iowa lost to PSU and gave me a little confidence. Then we did well against Purdue to boost the confidence some more. Then RoJo was hurt and it went down. Then Iowa lost against Wisco. Then we went to Illinois and looked great even without RoJo and it went up more. Cruised right around "I feel like we might be able to win this game" until Sunday night when Iowa lost to OSU and it became "We're going to win this game".

I mostly judge my confidence in a game based on how upset I predict I would be at a loss. Like, MSU bummed me out but was expected and not a source of deep sports feelings. PSU on the other hand... But by Monday going towards Iowa, I would have been pretty brokenhearted about a loss. My wife said the tension in the room was palpable at the end.