Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

Analysis: IU is 8-1 in Big Ten play and Hoosier fans still feeling uneasy

February will tell the story of this team and this season. I am not particularly worried about the offense, except the proclivity for turnovers. What scares me is the defensive side off the ball. If we play defense like we did yesterday, February will be a LONG month and March will be a short one. Defense is going to be the big question staring us in the face every single game.

Those three point shots ARE going to fall again!

(Right?...Please?)

I'd like to go back and look at how many times IU has had a shooting performance like that one yesterday from 3 and still found a way to win. I bet there haven't been a lot of those days.

February will tell the story of this team and this season. I am not particularly worried about the offense, except the proclivity for turnovers. What scares me is the defensive side off the ball. If we play defense like we did yesterday, February will be a LONG month and March will be a short one. Defense is going to be the big question staring us in the face every single game.

I still think the defense is appreciably better than it was early in the year in Maui for example and also at Duke. I think a few more people are buying in.

I still think the defense is appreciably better than it was early in the year in Maui for example and also at Duke. I think a few more people are buying in.

It couldn't get any worse, could it?  :)

Our defense the last two games has been better than Maui, but It doesn't seem much better.  It is almost like if our offensive plan works, so does the defense, but if a team takes away our offensive game plan, we automatically surrender our defense as well. 

Granted we did not play well on Saturday. But, if we look at the game 2 weeks ago vs Minny, it was a dogfight as well. They just seem to match up vs us better than most teams. But yes, shooting and defense must improve. And good TW, please.

I felt like TW struggled early in the year and then had a pretty good stretch there. The last few games though, he just seems to be back trying to force the action and dribble/drive where there isn't an open lane. It's hard to watch sometimes.

Only sometimes?

If you say all the time, then you don't think he's contributing at all and I think most people would disagree. I think TW does a lot of good things. He just needs to rein himself in sometimes and make better decisions. I'd much rather have him playing at Indiana than someplace else in the Big Ten. That much I know.

If you say all the time, then you don't think he's contributing at all and I think most people would disagree. I think TW does a lot of good things. He just needs to rein himself in sometimes and make better decisions. I'd much rather have him playing at Indiana than someplace else in the Big Ten. That much I know.

Depends where he would be playing.  Izzo would have eliminated bad Troy a long time ago. 

With what you've seen of JM and OG and knowing the recruits coming in for next year, over the course of next season - not just a game or two - are we be a better team with Troy and his erratic play or without Troy should he decide to turn pro?

Terry:

I thought you were referring to when he was trying to: " The last few games though, he just seems to be back trying to force the action and dribble/drive where there isn't an open lane."  

When Troy is doing that I find it incredibly hard to watch.  When he is not doing that, I love what Troy brings to the offense.  When he tries to force the action, bad things happen, when he plays to what the defense is giving him, he can be outstanding.  

Of course I can say the same thing for pretty much everyone else on the team as well. 

I agree it has been better since B1G play started, but yesterday showed it is still a reason for concern. I have been very vocal in praising the improved defense however, the real test of the improvement is about to begin. I feel equal parts hopeful and cautious all at the same time.

I agree it has been better since B1G play started, but yesterday showed it is still a reason for concern. I have been very vocal in praising the improved defense however, the real test of the improvement is about to begin. I feel equal parts hopeful and cautious all at the same time.

I'm with you here. I'm interested to see how these guys handle this next stretch. We're going to find out pretty quickly if the defense is that much better. One guy I think is a big key to it is TB. The way he played defense at Wisconsin on Tuesday was not good. I thought he was better yesterday.

Depends where he would be playing.  Izzo would have eliminated bad Troy a long time ago. 

Maybe. In principal anyway. But I think Izzo would find a way to work with him, too. I don't think he would have given up completely on a talent like that. That's just my take any way.