Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Indiana v. Minnesota - Post Game Thread

Michigan and soft schedule like us....?  Michigan had Xavier, UConn, Texas, NC State, and SMU in their non-con schedule.  They've had pu, Maryland, and Iowa in the B1G.  I guess you could say they're schedule is "same same but different."  We can play with Michigan at AA, hopefully Max gets them fired up for a little payback.  We will need to be hitting from outside though because you know UM will be. 

Michigan and soft schedule like us....? Michigan had Xavier, UConn, Texas, NC State, and SMU in their non-con schedule. They've had pu, Maryland, and Iowa in the B1G. I guess you could say they're schedule is "same same but different." We can play with Michigan at AA, hopefully Max gets them fired up for a little payback. We will need to be hitting from outside though because you know UM will be.

maybe he was comparing top 100 wins. They are 2-5 against the rpi top 100
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/130
We are 5-3 against rpi top 100 with another loss to Unlv (107)
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/84

Great team win today, against an embarrassingly underrated Minnesota squad; feeling really stoked tonight.

I see the look on your avatar's face and I read your post, and I can't help but feeling that maybe...just maybe:

You're being a condescending smart-ass.

Who only chimes in when he thinks he can stir the pot and create more negativity

Maybe so, I would take their best OOC win (Texas, rpi 21) over ours (Notre Dame, rpi 36) and their best conference win (Maryland, rpi 7) over ours (Wisconsin, rpi 66).  They went 9-3 OOC with an OOC SOS of 109 while we went 10-3 OOC with an OOC SOS of 215.  They're also 30th in RPI while we are 39th.  I guess we'll see how it plays out Tuesday.

I think that just shows the 2 teams are pretty evenly matched. michigan at least has had a chance to play the top teams in the big 10 so by default you would have to take their win against Maryland over our win against wisky. its not iu's fault the big 10 decided to back load our schedule. this terrible Minnesota team gave both teams a challenge on their respective home floors. Michigan won by 5 and we won by 6. I'm excited to see this team get a chance to improve their resume and seeding with the upcoming schedule. No place to hide 6 of the last 9 against rpi top 30 teams. These are the games we as fans should want to see

I was only referring to the conference schedule. Other than the 3 games with Iowa, PU and Mary. They have had a fairly soft conference schedule

Well, I just returned home and have finished watching a dvr of the game. Where to start? The second half was impossibly hard to watch. Everything went wrong and we pulled it out. Made Dorsey look NBA quality. I assure you, he is not. That said, I see many consider Minny to be a "horrible" team. I will not agree or disagree with that. The record is just that but, is that team, well....horrible? They have been right there for the win in all but 3 conference games. Most losses by single digits and a couple by under 5. You may recognise some of the teams they nearly beat. They are MSU (-9), illinois (-5), Michigan (-4), Purdue (-4) and Indiana (twice). It is my theory, that IU did not so much "blow it" but held off a pesky, difficult to beat team, that is giving good teams problems. I'm not necessarily pumping the bright side in this thing either. The collapse after half is very disturbing to me. We have several players struggling.
Troy, oh my, what is the plan here? It has suddenly changed, IMO. He cannot be allowed to initiate nor finish the offense from the top. Last two games he's been put in this position and consistently proven that his skill set is not suited to it. Like.. at all. I feel this is the coaches decision and again, IMO, it hurting the team and destroying any draft stock that the kid may have had. Outside of that, I believe good Troy will be back sooner than later...if he remains on the baseline or wing. I look at Wisky and Minny. Wisky runs the swing offense. This allows them to control the pace while hiding some of their inexperience and controls mistakes on both ends of the floor. This like the Gopher offense makes them appear to be un-athletic due to the slowed pace. Could that be the reason for recently forcing an athletic player like Troy from the top? Maybe. Either way it failed so the answer has got to be back-to-basics for him.
Zeisloft. I've said it in several other posts. He is a natural set shooter, sure as I'm born. With his feet set the kid is money. Problems have arisen for his shot recently because he is simply not a catch and shoot man. His numbers plummet when he's popping on the move or when forced into a quick release. I feel like Nick has possibly been given a green light when in the game, and that has led to further problems, because he's now taking bad shots and missing them wildly. Nick can still get off 5-6 open set shots/game through ball movement like always. Needs to be on the floor for a while longer so he can get lost in the movement; however, no green light. It's the worst thing we did so far.
Defensively, I can't...I really can't. Transition? Lay-ups? Please, don't make me talk about it. I still can't. I'll talk about it after Michigan. Can only go up from here. Jeez.
Have to acknowledge some great individual performances from Thomas, O.G., and Max. O.G. did well with the increased minutes but did show some lack of experience. I feel if he gets that PT against Wisky, We take it. He's making a very good case for keeping and increasing those hard earned minutes. More confidence on offence could make the kid a monster.
TB, awesome game. Took it on his back and willed us through. Very proud buddy, you are everything I hoped you would be.
So games over, we won. That's what they were there for. That's what they did.
8-1 in conference. I'm looking forward to Feb. and this stretch of death everyone is talking about. No one ever said we had to win them all. Steal 3 from MSU, Mary, Iowa and Purdue while handling the rest? Puts us right there. Remember, none of those teams are crushing folks. All struggled to get wins over the same teams we did. A few lost to teams we beat. Play half way good d and we r right there. In my humble, yet nearly universally recognized opinion.

How many layup airballs does Troy have on the year?  That has to be a stat he leads in.  He's just so out of control and falling away from the basket doesn't allow for him to even come close sometimes.  I hate ragging on him so much but the kid has so much potential to be a great college player.

How many layup airballs does Troy have on the year?  That has to be a stat he leads in.  He's just so out of control and falling away from the basket doesn't allow for him to even come close sometimes.  I hate ragging on him so much but the kid has so much potential to be a great college player.

Double digits I'd say. I don't know. He's falling away sure enough but what I'm seeing is the layup opportunities aren't there in the first place. It's streetball. I imagine it works with some regularity in practice because we are poor defensively but it's not practice. I'm seeing a lot of head movement, ball faking and direction changes but he doesn't really go anywhere. By the time he actually decides to put it up, he's further away than he started. I don't know. I just can't take him trying to drive into multiple defenders with no plan. He loses it every time. Got soooo lucky tonight that we didn't lose it at least 4 more crucial times off the top of my head.

If he starts a drive and lowers his head the results will not be good. 

Great team win today, against an embarrassingly underrated Minnesota squad; feeling really stoked tonight.

You really don't get it do you? My thought my PM was pretty straightforward on trolling when it comes to gamedays. Smh

Hands and feet inside the car at all times.  The ride is about to begin.

The most fun part of the ride, is going to be going to web sites after every game, and watching the swings in emotion.  Every win we are tops, every loss, we are the worst team to ever play college basketball.   :)

The most fun part of the ride, is going to be going to web sites every every game, and watching the swings in emotion. Every win we are tops, every loss, we are the worst team to ever play college basketball. :)

I hope it goes one way or the other cause the middling is aging us mods in dog years.

Indiana is in a fun position. Current Sagarin rating is 16 with an SOS of 114. That'd put us at ~ 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. But....the rest of this season plays out in such a way that I'm not sure any of it matters. So far, the only team we played ranked higher (in Sagarin) than we are is Duke, at 15. Notre Dame is next at 33. After that, it's Wisconsin at 50 and down from there. We truly have played an awful schedule. That's a real argument and a real problem. But....

We have 5 games left against teams rated higher than we are right now, and another against #22 Michigan on the road.

We have a chance to change things dramatically for the better. Or...dramatically to our detriment. Assuming we beat Illinois, Nebraska, and Penn State : We somehow win out and play on Saturday in the BTT? A #1 seed is possible given the parity around the country. Indiana figures out a way to win 3 games of those 5 against the teams rated higher than we are? Indiana can be a top 2-3 seed. We drop 4 or 5 of them? Probably a #8 seed. If a top 2-3 seed and some success in the BTT and NCAA Tournament? Indiana's coach probably quiets his critics for a little while. If a 6-9 seed and only a win or less in the NCAA? I don't know how he keeps his job.

A LOT can happen in the next 4 weeks; and (I'm not being flip about this) the prior 9 weeks truly are meaningless in comparison. Hands and feet inside the car at all times. The ride is about to begin.

Great breakdown.