Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Bo Ryan retiring after next season

Lol, except when they don't. People predict this every year, then it never happens. 

Thank you for saying that.  I get so tired of being the one to make that statement in these threads year after year.

Wisconsin is going to compete for the B1G Ten Title again this year the way they compete for the Title every year.

I for one am sad to see him go, but everybody has to go sometime.  That team he fielded last year was a thing of beauty.  I just wish we had a chance to make up some ground on that head-to-head record he tagged us with.

Just a fabulous coach. And did it the right way. Recruited solid kids who worked hard, improved and were fundamentally sound. His players respected him as well. Never heard of his guys getting into a bunch of trouble off court.  Much respect for the guy even though he made Crean look like a bad jv coach on several occasions.

Say what you will about Bo, but the guy can coach.  This link gives you his coaching career stats and his year-by-year record since taking over Wisky's program in 2001.  Makes me feel even worse about our last 14 years.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/bo-ryan-1.html

Add to that the fact that Wisconsin had their success on a spendthrift recruiting budget.

Lol, except when they don't. People predict this every year, then it never happens. 

There are reasons that streak is about to end. First, it now requires that to finish in the top four you finish ahead of TEN teams rather than eight, and Maryland is one of those. Last year it didn't matter; Wisconsin was far and away the best team in the league. But this coming year that will matter, and there are at least six teams on paper much better than Wisky (IU, Iowa, Maryland, Mich, MSU, PU in alphabetical order). Ohio State could finish above Wisky also.

There are reasons that streak is about to end. First, it now requires that to finish in the top four you finish ahead of TEN teams rather than eight, and Maryland is one of those. Last year it didn't matter; Wisconsin was far and away the best team in the league. But this coming year that will matter, and there are at least six teams on paper much better than Wisky (IU, Iowa, Maryland, Mich, MSU, PU in alphabetical order). Ohio State could finish above Wisky also.

OK I will believe it when I see it as usual!

BO KNOWS....how to coach!  I have great respect for his coaching even though his constant whining during games drives me crazy. Wisconsin went from a team we rarely lost to in the past-----to a team we rarely beat---mostly because of his coaching.  If this happens---it's a big loss for UW and the Big Ten. But--- a net positive for IU! :biggrin:

This.

There was a time Wisconsin fans told me Bo never finished below 3rd in conference.  Then that story changed.

There was a time Peyton Manning would never win a Super Bowl.  The stats proved it.  Then he did.

There was a time everybody said Henrick Lundqvist was unbeatable in elimination games at home.  The stats backed their argument.  Then he wasn't.

Sports goes in cycles.  Good for Bo for getting out at the right time.  Next year will be his first out of the top 4, then the story will change to how he never finished lower than 5th.

then the story will change to how he never finished lower than 5th.

Which is damn impressive. Especially with some of the "talent" he's had come through. But I agree with your overall point.