Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Tom Crean Update from Fred Glass

I'm 28, so on the younger side of Hoosier fans... So many sill disagree here, but the game just passed Knight up. I was THRILLED when he was finally let go because he stopped caring and you could tell.

Bobby Knight was an incredible basketball coach for the time period he coached. I don't think he'd be anywhere near as successful if he had his same style in today's world of college basketball. The game has changed too much and he wouldn't change.

I'm 28, so on the younger side of Hoosier fans... So many sill disagree here, but the game just passed night up. I was THRILLED when he was finally let go because he stopped caring and you could tell.

Bobby Knight was an incredible basketball coach for the time period he coached. I don't think he'd be anywhere near as successful if he had his same style in today's world of college basketball. The game has changed too much and he wouldn't change.

I'm 34 and pretty much agree with all this. But, boy have we failed to capitalize on our University's strengths since. It's time to land a big fish and a surer thing!

Sorry I disagree with this post. We knew the man's legacy, and how he already brought championships to our school.  If we all were honest with ourselves we all knew he was at the end of his career, and we kept him in, because he was a legend. That's the tough bind I can live with.  

Miscued statistics like this annoy me because it doesn't tell the whole story. This is a horrible example of why we should be stupid enough to support Coach Crean. I didn't even like Knight ( jerk if you asked me), but at least provide more context instead of providing miscued numbers to support a point. 

Some fans on here think Bobby is the greatest. What do them fans think of this?

'94-'95 > 19-12/11-7. First round exit.
'95-'96 > 19-12/12-6. First round exit
'96-'97 > 22-11/9-9. First round exit.
'97-'98 > 20-12/9-7. Second round exit. 
'98-'99 > 23-11/9-7. Second round exit.
'99-'00 > 20-9/10-6. First round exit.

Sorry I disagree with this post. We knew the man's legacy, and how he already brought championships to our school.  If we all were honest with ourselves we all knew he was at the end of his career, and we kept him in, because he was a legend. That's the tough bind I can live with.  

Miscued statistics like this annoy me because it doesn't tell the whole story. This is a horrible example of why we should be stupid enough to support Coach Crean. I didn't even like Knight ( jerk if you asked me), but at least provide more context instead of providing miscued numbers to support a point. 

What's miscued about his records? Have I ever offered up support for Crean? It's funny we can judge now and not 20 years ago when the wheels started to fall off.

The true die hard knight fans that thought he could do no wrong dont watch iu or care about iu after the way the whole thing went down. I dont know why I argued with anybody about him because he is in the past and more worried about where were heading. Just dont like any comparison to knight and crean lol

One thing no one mentioned is that he still built that 2002 team even if he didn't coach it. Yeah he took a break from recruiting in the mid 90s to go fishing, when he started taking a bigger role again that was the team he put together.

Agree, but I still feel a lot of the success they achieved that season was because of the situation they were put in. It drew them all closer.

What's miscued about his records? Have I ever offered up support for Crean? It's funny we can judge now and not 20 years ago when the wheels started to fall off.

Because it fails to mention his entire record. Those years u pointed to were a result of already winning in years past. We allow legends to linger because of what they've done. Coach Crean with his sample of work has not earned that prestige ( yet -who knows what will happen). Point those records were at the tail of career , if were under normal circumstances ( like crean) this would not acceptable.

Because it fails to mention his entire record. Those years u pointed to were a result of already winning in years past. We allow legends to linger because of what they've done. Coach Crean with his sample of work has not earned that prestige ( yet -who knows what will happen). Point those records were at the tail of career , if were under normal circumstances ( like crean) this would not acceptable.

If you aren't trending up...

I think someone needs to kidnap Glass, bound and gag him, and make him watch a 24hr marathon of Hoosiers! Maybe he would get the importance of basketball in this state.

I wouldn't say they are misused statistics. It's data that shows regardless of who has coached here the past 20 years, the program is mediocre. Whether it's at the tail end of one coaches tenure or at the beginning of another coaches tenure the results speak for themselves. In the late 90's we were finishing middle of the pack in big 10 (11 teams) and presently we finished middle of the pack ( 14 teams) I hear people ask when did indiana start accepting mediocrity. To me it would seem people accepted it in the late 90's.

I wouldn't say they are misused statistics. It's data that shows regardless of who has coached here the past 20 years, the program is mediocre. Whether it's at the tail end of one coaches tenure or at the beginning of another coaches tenure the results speak for themselves. In the late 90's we were finishing middle of the pack in big 10 (11 teams) and presently we finished middle of the pack ( 14 teams) I hear people ask when did indiana start accepting mediocrity. To me it would seem people accepted it in the late 90's.

We've been trying to be patient to let our coach get us back to prominence. True for Davis. He ultimately failed. Crean following similar trajectory. 20 years go fast when we are trying to do 5 year rebuilds. Need an instant impact hire. Demand results NOW! IU has the resources to expect it.

Crean's two best years at Indiana (2011-2013) resulted in only a tie for 3rd best record in the B1G over that stretch.

1) 26-10 MSU

1) 26-10 OSU

3) 25-11 IU

3) 25-11 UM

5) 24-12 UW

From an article posted earlier in the week IU hired Crean in hopes we would get the Final Four Crean more often than the NIT Crean.  He is closer to the mean of his time at Marquette than the Final Four at Marquette.  It is out of our hands and in the hands of the administrators but given the past this seems to be acceptable to them. 

We've been trying to be patient to let our coach get us back to prominence. True for Davis. He ultimately failed. Crean following similar trajectory. 20 years go fast when we are trying to do 5 year rebuilds. Need an instant impact hire. Demand results NOW! IU has the resources to expect it.

what do you think would happen if we get the impact hire and the results remain the same? If that ever happened........ On second thought lets not think about that