Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdiu28

Cal and the NBA

NCAA doesn't make nearly the amount of money on football as they do basketball though.

Can we get numbers on this? I always thought it was the other way around. All of the money is in TV and with the CFP, I would think football is the leader.

Can we get numbers on this? I always thought it was the other way around. All of the money is in TV and with the CFP, I would think football is the leader.

Conferences & schools typically make a lot more from football in the power 5 leagues. But the NCAA itself may make more from basketball b/c it has the contract for the tourney's TV rights. It doesn't have any TV deals for the football playoff - that all runs through the conferences. I don't have the actual numbers though.

From the NCAA Budget page, so take it with a grain or silo of salt.

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/sport-science-institute/ncaa-budget-where-money-goes

"Television and marketing rights fees, mostly from the Division I men’s basketball championship, generate 90 percent of revenues."

As long as I can remember, the bowl system along with the playoff now has always been separate from the NCAA. The FCS(I-AA) is run by the NCAA and considering their championship games are usually held at smaller facilities; even 25-30K MLS stadiums, they're not making much money from football.

Going by my previous post, I still think there is some precedent in vacating a national title, even if its from their cash cow.

From the NCAA Budget page, so take it with a grain or silo of salt.

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/sport-science-institute/ncaa-budget-where-money-goes

"Television and marketing rights fees, mostly from the Division I men’s basketball championship, generate 90 percent of revenues."

As long as I can remember, the bowl system along with the playoff now has always been separate from the NCAA. The FCS(I-AA) is run by the NCAA and considering their championship games are usually held at smaller facilities; even 25-30K MLS stadiums, they're not making much money from football.

Going by my previous post, I still think there is some precedent in vacating a national title, even if its from their cash cow.

I thought I heard 80% but either way it's a large percentage of their revenue.

Just wondering...if UK wins the championship, what does Calapari have left to prove? It is well known that he is an egomaniac. The only place he has failed is in the NBA. I think the lure of going back and being handed the keys to a franchise is awfully alluring. Where would UK then turn? Only 2 names come to mind. Donovan and Stevens. Donovan has already turned them down twice and I don't see him wanting to go head to head for state supremacy against his mentor Pitino. That leaves Stevens. This may be what we need to pull the trigger and get rid of Crean. Could you imagine our fanbase if we were to lose Stevens to UK? Far fetched scenario? The headache I get thinking about it!

Just wondering...if UK wins the championship, what does Calapari have left to prove? It is well known that he is an egomaniac. The only place he has failed is in the NBA. I think the lure of going back and being handed the keys to a franchise is awfully alluring. Where would UK then turn? Only 2 names come to mind. Donovan and Stevens. Donovan has already turned them down twice and I don't see him wanting to go head to head for state supremacy against his mentor Pitino. That leaves Stevens. This may be what we need to pull the trigger and get rid of Crean. Could you imagine our fanbase if we were to lose Stevens to UK? Far fetched scenario? The headache I get thinking about it!

If we somehow lost out on Stevens to UK I honestly would not watch an IU game in any sport as long as Glass was the AD........call me ridiculous....I'd agree, but I don't care.

I know it sounds crazy but you know the old saying...money talks, b.s. walks. Calapai has a salary twice of what Stevens is making at pUKe. Even if he is offered less, it would still be significantly more than what he is getting in Boston.

I know it sounds crazy but you know the old saying...money talks, b.s. walks. Calapai has a salary twice of what Stevens is making. Even if he is offered less, it would still be significantly more than what he is getting in Boston.

NCAA doesn't make nearly the amount of money on football as they do basketball though.

Football makes more money than basketball by a long shot.

"In 2010, the collective revenue of the 15 highest-grossing football programs in the United States was more than $1 billion."

"
Nationally in 2010-11, the top 15 college basketball programs generated roughly $293 million,"

Football makes more money than basketball by a long shot.

"In 2010, the collective revenue of the 15 highest-grossing football programs in the United States was more than $1 billion."

"
Nationally in 2010-11, the top 15 college basketball programs generated roughly $293 million,"

How much does the NCAA make from that more than $1 billion?

Kentucky goes undefeated, Cal feels he's ready to move on and gets an NBA job, Kentucky's seasons under Calipari are all vacated by the NCAA. 

I hope those things happen 

This question was posed awhile back. My vote would be for him to lose this year and leave anyway. In addition, he would be found guilty of numerous violations while at UK, forcing them to vacate everything they won while he was there. All of their players would  leave and they would be stripped of every scholarship for the next five years, forcing them to play nothing but walk-ons. Their season ticket holders would be forced to keep their tickets, required by law to attend every game start to finish, and every UK fan would be ordered by the government to watch every game start to finish and write a 5 page essay recapping the game and what their program needs to do to compete at the D-1 level. 

You don't seem to have put much thought into this topic.