Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ALASKA HOOSIER

The fans aren't going to the games?

Back in the day we were winning champioinships. Sure you wouldn't want to go back?

Hey I'm all for winning. But I'm also all for reality. And the reality is that it's 2015, things have changed, and people can either catch up with the times or waste their time wishing it was 27 years ago. I think I'll stay in the present.

Hey I'm all for winning. But I'm also all for reality. And the reality is that it's 2015, things have changed, and people can either catch up with the times or waste their time wishing it was 27 years ago. I think I'll stay in the present.

The reality is championship programs stay the same. You either win, or you get fired. When will our championship program get with reality?

The reality is championship programs stay the same. You either win, or you get fired. When will our championship program get with reality?

The reality is that we haven't been a championship program in a lonnngggg time. It's not like we suddenly just fell off a cliff. I want to become a championship contender just as much as you, but unfortunately there isn't a whole lot we as fans can do about it. I don't want this to become another fire thread. I know where you stand, and I respect your opinion. I honestly don't know where I am on that because I'm just going with the flow. We're having a successful season and I'm having a blast watching our team. My whole point in my original post that started the young vs. old back and forth was that this isn't grandpa's IU. Times have changed and saying "well, back in my day" serves no purpose because 2015 is nothing like the 60's, 70's, 80's.

when you schedule tons of teams who were ranked 200+ in the RPI the previous year, it's hard to get excited for those games knowing the coaching style this team is subjected to. Our program is one that needs a true X's and O's wizard leading it because the state isn't going to respect them if he isn't. The collective basketball IQ in the state is too high to be fooled any longer here in year seven. We did a really bad job maximizing our scheduling ability

Fred Glass doesn't seem to get near the criticism he deserves for our pathetic OOC scheduling in basketball. Not to mention the fact he scheduled Mizzou/Navy in football in a year where everyone in the world knew our defense was a joke and their offenses were not good matchups. Sucks we missed out on a bowl game and 6 extra weeks of practice because Glass wanted to get cute instead of scheduling another joke game. Oh and he also sold that home game to PSU so they could have a reunion party in DC. Next year's home basketball schedule MUST be better. Of course the product must be too.

I've read this thread with a lot of interest, and I have to say that most everybody that has offered up their opinion has a valid point to some degree.

One thing I was just sitting here thinking about -- please bear with me while I try to phrase this without sounding like I want the "back in the day" thing -- is this...

When RMK coached, we all know the quality product he put on the floor, but he also had layers to him. Not only was he a master of the game, but he was a colorful coach. Consciously or not (I prefer to think he crafted a lot of it purposely), he put on a show inside of the show, and fans ate it up. He was known for his antics during press conferences. Think about it... The Big 10 had Knight and his antics (some great, others boorish), there was Keady with his combover, yet fiery and full of his own antics. There was Jud Heathcote, who could be colorful in his own way. Hopefully you follow what I'm trying to say here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think we (IU & the Big 10 in general) could benefit from a new generation of colorful coaches. Right now, Izzo and Ryan, in my opinion are about the most colorful and demonstrative coaches we have. Admittedly, fans turned out en masse to see IU play some kick butt hoops, but I'll submit that darn near equally, fans turned out to see what RMK would do each game. Things are pretty vanilla in the coaching ranks these days, IMHO.

The Knight/Keady rivalry that existed inside of the IU/Purdue rivalry, for instance. Not only were these coaches masters of the game, but they were masters of entertaining the crowds as well.

Guess I've rambled enough on this, don't know if it made any sense or not, but I think we need coaches that are willing to liven things up inside of the game atmosphere. Hey, get T'd up and get the boot a little more often. Knight used to hike his sweater half way up and walk around with his hands on his head. Stuff like that keeps the fans wondering what coach is going to do next! Put some color back into coaching, not just this buttoned down Wall Street look! Develop that coaching persona that makes people crave not only the rivalry, but also the show within the show!

Just my .02 cents worth, your mileage may vary!

Sorry, but Crean has his antics too. They just have a negative outcome on the game instead of helping like Knights. Instead of working the officials, he's working the fans. Instead of intinidating the officials, he's pacing the sidelines and talking to the other team's players. Instead of watching the games, he's still pacing and consulting his 3x5 card in between aggressively sucking his drink bottle. Instead of instructing his players, he normally has that wtf face like I have no clue. I really don't think he watches the games or understands them just based on his normal post game pressor where he can't remember. He usually states he needs to look at film or asks the reporter what he thinks. His lack of making real time decisioins based on his high pay scale is his biggest weakness imo. Of course that doesn't include his teams never being strong enough to play defense or having any sense of continuity or patience or unselfishness true championship teams have.

Nowhere did I ever reference CTC in my post. I meant it as a general point about yet another reason attendance might dwindle. There is more to the game than just the game itself. People derive their entertainment from multiple levels at any sporting event. You missed the entire point of my post.

Sorry, but Crean has his antics too. They just have a negative outcome on the game instead of helping like Knights. Instead of working the officials, he's working the fans. Instead of intinidating the officials, he's pacing the sidelines and talking to the other team's players. Instead of watching the games, he's still pacing and consulting his 3x5 card in between aggressively sucking his drink bottle. Instead of instructing his players, he normally has that wtf face like I have no clue. I really don't think he watches the games or understands them just based on his normal post game pressor where he can't remember. He usually states he needs to look at film or asks the reporter what he thinks. His lack of making real time decisioins based on his high pay scale is his biggest weakness imo. Of course that doesn't include his teams never being strong enough to play defense or having any sense of continuity or patience or unselfishness true championship teams have.

Criticism of Crean is completely fair but to be honest some of your arguments are flat our wrong. There is like one instance of him talking to the other teams player and I can recount at least four instances from the game tonight that he was working the refs. 

I don't really get people's criticism of his post game press conferences either. Sure, him taking accountability would be nice. But its all coach speak anyway. Why put any stock into it? 

Criticism of his decisions in game, defense, roster management etc is mostly on point

I've read this thread with a lot of interest, and I have to say that most everybody that has offered up their opinion has a valid point to some degree.

One thing I was just sitting here thinking about -- please bear with me while I try to phrase this without sounding like I want the "back in the day" thing -- is this...

When RMK coached, we all know the quality product he put on the floor, but he also had layers to him. Not only was he a master of the game, but he was a colorful coach. Consciously or not (I prefer to think he crafted a lot of it purposely), he put on a show inside of the show, and fans ate it up. He was known for his antics during press conferences. Think about it... The Big 10 had Knight and his antics (some great, others boorish), there was Keady with his combover, yet fiery and full of his own antics. There was Jud Heathcote, who could be colorful in his own way. Hopefully you follow what I'm trying to say here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think we (IU & the Big 10 in general) could benefit from a new generation of colorful coaches. Right now, Izzo and Ryan, in my opinion are about the most colorful and demonstrative coaches we have. Admittedly, fans turned out en masse to see IU play some kick butt hoops, but I'll submit that darn near equally, fans turned out to see what RMK would do each game. Things are pretty vanilla in the coaching ranks these days, IMHO.

The Knight/Keady rivalry that existed inside of the IU/Purdue rivalry, for instance. Not only were these coaches masters of the game, but they were masters of entertaining the crowds as well.

Guess I've rambled enough on this, don't know if it made any sense or not, but I think we need coaches that are willing to liven things up inside of the game atmosphere. Hey, get T'd up and get the boot a little more often. Knight used to hike his sweater half way up and walk around with his hands on his head. Stuff like that keeps the fans wondering what coach is going to do next! Put some color back into coaching, not just this buttoned down Wall Street look! Develop that coaching persona that makes people crave not only the rivalry, but also the show within the show!

Just my .02 cents worth, your mileage may vary!

Crean pulling his pants up to his chest doesnt count?