Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Alford Bailey

Recruiting Momentum

i was just going to say "this is fun and all, but this thread is about IUs recruiting momentum or lack thereof".

Good post though.

Another thought comes to mind.........
Many have said we don't get the big fish because we don't recruit dirty.

If that is true, how did we get Vonleh, Williams, Yogi, Blackmon, Rob, Stan, Zeller, etc.......?

We were getting them before so the not playing dirty excuse doesn't hold water.

Maybe we don't play AS dirty??? IDK. Just seems like another excuse.

I hope we're not going that way, and I don't believe so. I can tell you that in the 'glory' days, A certain well-known player went to visit a basketball player friend at UK. He came back with a athletic bag full of UK gear, shoes, shorts, shirts, etc..., telling stories about the players benefits(money, cars, extravagant dorm). That same year, IU was recruiting a certain player, and upon his official visit he asked his guide(an IU player) what they give you(meaning off the books). The player explained the scholarship, training table, tutors, etc..., again he asked what they offered. The recruit told the player what UK was offering to which the player replied, " you better take it and run, 'cause you ain't get tin' s... Here! HaHa!
For those of you who refute tradition, there's one example of how tradition impacts programs.

Na, Mods can't have opinions here...

I know right. I was disappointed to hear that. Been a mod for a few years and just learned I shouldn't have one. I deserve a warning point.

I truly wish some of us could sit and have a beer talking about this. Good stuff really. Some are taking it too personally and think the world is against them. Most understand it for what it is. Entertainment.

If you ever visit the northern part of the state a.k.a. God's country, I'll slug a Pabst with you!

Oh come on Schoosier you know it's our daily goal to censor you and piss you off. We are just trying to even out your visits to ITH and here.
You may want to revisit why you got that warning point. Obviously the reasons given to you by my fellow mods didn't sink in. Don't worry I am not gonna be a dick in this thread. I am enjoying some of the people in this thread. It hasn't got out of hand and is good back and forth.

I don't post on ITH. You may want to check my credentials a little better than that. Or ask anyone else who happens to post here regularly. I would be happy to revisit my post; it's all good to speak about pot smoking players when they don't suit up for the home team, correct?

I know right. I was disappointed to hear that. Been a mod for a few years and just learned I shouldn't have one. I deserve a warning point.

I want to say that I wasn't trying to be mean. However, sites like these are created from very passionate fans. That's a reason I became a mod 10 or so years ago. I love my HOOSIERS, and love talking about them!

I hope we're not going that way, and I don't believe so. I can tell you that in the 'glory' days, A certain well-known player went to visit a basketball player friend at UK. He came back with a athletic bag full of UK gear, shoes, shorts, shirts, etc..., telling stories about the players benefits(money, cars, extravagant dorm). That same year, IU was recruiting a certain player, and upon his official visit he asked his guide(an IU player) what they give you(meaning off the books). The player explained the scholarship, training table, tutors, etc..., again he asked what they offered. The recruit told the player what UK was offering to which the player replied, " you better take it and run, 'cause you ain't get tin' s... Here! HaHa!
For those of you who refute tradition, there's one example of how tradition impacts programs.

good story but today's recruiting is different. Just is. The calculated net worth of each player (13) at IU is 818,000 per season. I don't endorse cheating AT ALL but things happen "within in the rules". I'm not blind to this and it's a sad situation.

I think Duke players get benefits as I KNOW UNC and UK get benefits. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I want to win and do it right. Just not sure if it's possible. Plus I'm pretty sure we arent squeaky clean as it is.

I don't post on ITH. You may want to check my credentials a little better than that. Or ask anyone else who happens to post here regularly. I would be happy to revisit my post; it's all good to speak about pot smoking players when they don't suit up for the home team, correct?

Uh oh... Jaybob I think he finally caught us red handed. Mark Schoosier off the list. We tried to censor him, but the man just can't hold him down. I am switching allegiances. Let's stick it to the man... We all bowed down to the university due to our tight allegiances and media credentials but f 'em. I am done trying to censor people.

I will add if anyone gives a rats ass. I don't give a damn where you sit on your opinion. I am more opinionated than most (on the negative side). Shockingly most of us mods are. We just take too kindly to a few general rules that are broken. If you aren't down with that I got two words for ya.

good story but today's recruiting is different. Just is. The calculated net worth of each player (13) at IU is 818,000 per season. I don't endorse cheating AT ALL but things happen "within in the rules". I'm not blind to this and it's a sad situation.

I think Duke players get benefits as I KNOW UNC and UK get benefits. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I want to win and do it right. Just not sure if it's possible. Plus I'm pretty sure we arent squeaky clean as it is.

Wayne, I pay for my daughter's IU education in full, no grants, nothing. She is an excellent student, 3.87 at a great Catholic high school, no scholarship. There has to be more emphasis on the value of the education, if the recruits can't understand that their education is valued at $100,000 over four years, with gear and everything else probably closer to 125,000. Besides that, for those who don't go pro, what better business network is there?
I'm just saying, got to find the right kids with morals, and a work ethic to be successful.

Wayne, I pay for my daughter's IU education in full, no grants, nothing. She is an excellent student, 3.87 at a great Catholic high school, no scholarship. There has to be more emphasis on the value of the education, if the recruits can't understand that their education is valued at $100,000 over four years, with gear and everything else probably closer to 125,000. Besides that, for those who don't go pro, what better business network is there?
I'm just saying, got to find the right kids with morals, and a work ethic to be successful.

Congrats my man. Type of student who should be at IU.

Uh oh... Jaybob I think he finally caught us red handed. Mark Schoosier off the list. We tried to censor him, but the man just can't hold him down. I am switching allegiances. Let's stick it to the man... We all bowed down to the university due to our tight allegiances and media credentials but f 'em. I am done trying to censor people.

We all have the same allegiances; to IU. A media crendential would be a blast though. I would love to go to all the Indiana games, but I would have trouble in Crean's post game pressors. I ask a question, and Tom would say what do you think. I would say his defense has sucked for 7+ years. Then I would ask another question and he would say "I will have to look at stats or tape" and I would say didn't you just coach the game? Immediate revocation of my pres badge lol.