Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Neither Priller or April are worthy of the athletic scholarship they occupy. That isn't to say neither belong on the team, but to think these guys are getting close to 10-15K in free education to go to practice and sit the pine during games is extremely disheartening. What happened to the days of earning your scholarship? Guys like Erik Suhr were worth the gamble because he showed he was worth it. For some reason, some inexplicable reason, we always seem to have a guy on scholarship that isn't worth squat on the court. Maybe the lure of the apr scoring is just too much and Crean is using the work those guys use in the classroom to justify wasting athletic scholarships. That's just a guess on my part. I literally have no idea why we have a guy or two on scholarship that can give us nothing athletically.

Neither Priller or April are worthy of the athletic scholarship they occupy. That isn't to say neither belong on the team, but to think these guys are getting close to 10-15K in free education to go to practice and sit the pine during games is extremely disheartening. What happened to the days of earning your scholarship? Guys like Erik Suhr were worth the gamble because he showed he was worth it. For some reason, some inexplicable reason, we always seem to have a guy on scholarship that isn't worth squat on the court. Maybe the lure of the apr scoring is just too much and Crean is using the work those guys use in the classroom to justify wasting athletic scholarships. That's just a guess on my part. I literally have no idea why we have a guy or two on scholarship that can give us nothing athletically.

Every team in the nation takes gambles on players that end up sitting the bench. Its win win most of the time because if they come in and can play, it helps the team. If they come in and just flat out can't cut it, its usually pretty obvious to them and they transfer out to a school where they will play

Maybe Hanner and Emmit going up against Priller and April in practice is better (if even just a little) than them going up against Suhr and Rafael Smith in practice.

Unfortunately, it is probably worse than them going up against Hartman and Burton in practice.  Crean just needs to recruit to his strengths, and realize that developing raw and uncoordinated big men probably isn't in his wheel house.

I have to say that the Priller and April signings were/are two of the most shocking things I've seen in my time as an IU fan. 20+years.

Very scary as a fan seeing the results of a active, busy recruiter coming up with these results. Totally shocking.

Thats a stretch. Mike Davis brought in his fair share of unknown recruits that didn't even make it a year or two in the program. 

Priller is from Indiana. I'm sure he's pretty stoked for whatever time he gets to sit the bench and watch IU games.

Sure he is stoked cause right now he has no other option. Im just saying that kids want to play ball. Look at Peter, he could've been happy sitting on the bench and getting his education, but he transferred to a small school just for the opportunity to play. Im guessing the same thing will happen will Priller and April. No matter where a player is from their top priority and desire is to play ball, not be part of the bench mob

While that's typical, a lot of players don't look at it that way.

Ryan Burton was starting in college, but decided to come to Indiana and sit the bench and pay his own way.

Nate Ritchie had scholarship offers from Tulsa, among others.

Priller had options. As per an indystar article:

Unsatisfied with his offer list last fall, Priller decided to wait until the spring to sign, believing he would prove himself worthy of a place with a big-time program.

The spring window brought in Tulsa, Wake Forest, Arkansas, Miami, Texas Tech, Colgate, Illinois-Chicago, TCU, Denver and IU.

Sure he is stoked cause right now he has no other option. Im just saying that kids want to play ball. Look at Peter, he could've been happy sitting on the bench and getting his education, but he transferred to a small school just for the opportunity to play. Im guessing the same thing will happen will Priller and April. No matter where a player is from their top priority and desire is to play ball, not be part of the bench mob

I think you missed the point of my comment.

I was saying it wouldn't be so bad watching Indiana play from the bench for a year.

While that's typical, a lot of players don't look at it that way.

Ryan Burton was starting in college, but decided to come to Indiana and sit the bench and pay his own way.

Nate Ritchie had scholarship offers from Tulsa, among others.

Priller had options. As per an indystar article:

Unsatisfied with his offer list last fall, Priller decided to wait until the spring to sign, believing he would prove himself worthy of a place with a big-time program.
The spring window brought in Tulsa, Wake Forest, Arkansas, Miami, Texas Tech, Colgate, Illinois-Chicago, TCU, Denver and IU.

I thought Priller's only offer was Incarnate Word?

examples?

-The year he brought in Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland he also brought in a PF from the West Coast named Daryl Pegram. 2/3 star guy that only had 3 offers total.( William & Mary, George Mason, IU). He played in two games at IU and transferred. 

-The next year Davis brought in 6' 10" PF Jessan Gray-Ashley from Iowa. The kid was a string bean, was unranked and had ) stars no stars on one recruiting website and 2 stars on another. He played in a game or two his first semester and then was academically ineligible and transferred (he ended up going to like 3 or 4 different schools before he graduated)

-Who could possibly forget the great Cem Dinc, center from Germany(by way of Brewster Acadamy) that Davis brought in. He was unheard of. He was only listed on one recruiting site that had him at 0 stars. He played a few minutes in 3 games in his first year and transferred out.

Random players but Jessan Gray-Ashley and Cem Dinc are probably the most unknown ever brought.

-The year he brought in Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland he also brought in a PF from the West Coast named Daryl Pegram. 2/3 star guy that only had 3 offers total.( William & Mary, George Mason, IU). He played in two games at IU and transferred.
-The next year Davis brought in 6' 10" PF Jessan Gray-Ashley from Iowa. The kid was a string bean, was unranked and had ) stars no stars on one recruiting website and 2 stars on another. He played in a game or two his first semester and then was academically ineligible and transferred (he ended up going to like 3 or 4 different schools before he graduated)

-Who could possibly forget the great Cem Dinc, center from Germany(by way of Brewster Acadamy) that Davis brought in. He was unheard of. He was only listed on one recruiting site that had him at 0 stars. He played a few minutes in 3 games in his first year and transferred out.

Random players but Jessan Gray-Ashley and Cem Dinc are probably the most unknown ever brought.

good examples. Seemingly on a similar level.