Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

IU vs O$U game thread 12 Noon

No one ever has anything of substance. 

Have you ever listened to Crean after a game? He never has anything of substance either. Always says things like "we just need to play with intent" and other drawn out platitudes that don't really answer anyone's questions. 

The quote by WayneFleekHoosier made a legitimate point. Against Georgetown we had players trying (unsuccessfully) to set screens against the zone. I'm not sure I've ever seen that at any level of basketball. 

For me to say Crean's teams struggle against Zone is not a fabrication. It is fact. He always has excuses for it. Roster limitations, no shooters, not playing hard enough. But when I watch, we don't attack standard areas to make the zone vulnerable. It's not just me or random internet fans. Announcers have discussed this deficiency at length.

If you probe the top of the zone with "threatening/probing" drives you can open up open shooters. Drive and kicks. QUICK ball movement around the horn can generally hit an open shooter far side if defenses are slow, (like our zone). High post, most obvious as a shooter or an entry feed when the double comes.

He rarely does any of these very basic zone attacks because it doesn't match his NBA dribble drive attack strategy.

Also honest question here?

In the presser, Crean said they had early practice with players putting up "tons" of shots. Then had a weight lifting session. Then more individual practice later.

My question is quite simple about arm fatigue. Should guys be lifting weights during the season/between games/after long practices???

Sounds like a recipe for disaster for shooters in the short term. Maybe ok in the long term but????

Thoughts?

Have you ever listened to Crean after a game? He never has anything of substance either. Always says things like "we just need to play with intent" and other drawn out platitudes that don't really answer anyone's questions.

The quote by WayneFleekHoosier made a legitimate point. Against Georgetown we had players trying (unsuccessfully) to set screens against the zone. I'm not sure I've ever seen that at any level of basketball.

I'm sorry Coach doesn't dumb it down for you. Hopefully someone can pass on this request.

For me to say Crean's teams struggle against Zone is not a fabrication. It is fact. He always has excuses for it. Roster limitations, no shooters, not playing hard enough. But when I watch, we don't attack standard areas to make the zone vulnerable. It's not just me or random internet fans. Announcers have discussed this deficiency at length.

If you probe the top of the zone with "threatening/probing" drives you can open up open shooters. Drive and kicks. QUICK ball movement around the horn can generally hit an open shooter far side if defenses are slow, (like our zone). High post, most obvious as a shooter or an entry feed when the double comes.

He rarely does any of these very basic zone attacks because it doesn't match his NBA dribble drive attack strategy.

I don't always like how IU attacks zone either but to imply that the coach doesn't know what to do? Or is generally incompetent? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't know where some of this stuff comes from. NBA dribble drive attack? What?? You guys realize Stevens ran the same kind of ball screen continuum at Butler, right?

why do u keep bringing up Stevens? I've not brought any other names up. I've just stated the fact Crean struggles to attack a zone. You've extrapolated the rest.

Also honest question here?

In the presser, Crean said they had early practice with players putting up "tons" of shots. Then had a weight lifting session. Then more individual practice later.

My question is quite simple about arm fatigue. Should guys be lifting weights during the season/between games/after long practices???

Sounds like a recipe for disaster for shooters in the short term. Maybe ok in the long term but????

Thoughts?

I played in high school and every now and then we'd lift weights after a 2 hour practice. However, we never did it the day before a game, and we obviously weren't practicing 4 hours a day when we did. 

This strikes me as another example of Crean overworking his teams and part of the reason they usually collapse every year toward the end. 

I'm sorry Coach doesn't dumb it down for you. Hopefully someone can pass on this request.

its not dumbing it down. It's quite the opposite. Most educated fans want BASKETBALL answers to our problems. Not random answers about effort, energy, missed shots, rebound better, shoot better, cut harder, screen better, etc... Now those are simple dumb remarks. We want legit answers for problems we see. We don't get those answers.

u have to b kidding with these guys right? U really r not calling crean a basketball genius r u? I dont think crean has earned the praise that u r willing to give him to me anybody on this thread can make just as good of point of anything crean has ever said.

We are stuck with what we got. Not happy with the outcome of some games. But its not going to help anything bitching about it. Atleast we dont have Calipari that would suck ass unless he does run a clean program which I dought.