Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southsidehoosier

Thinking out loud about our big man situation....

Slow day at work so I'm constantly refreshing this page for stuff to read. Anyways I was on another thread and posting about Knight recruitment involvement with  Glenn Robinson. So I started looking back on the 92-93 season and looking at our roster. Matt Nover was our Center for that season and his height is listed as 6'8". I was only 7-8 back then so I don't remember that season that much but his stats for that season are below. Hanner and Emmitt are similar in size to Nover (6'8 and 6'7 respectively). What do we need to see more out of them for them to be our Matt Nover and compete effectively without a 7'0" player. I've also heard stories from my dad about the job Nover did against Shaq in the tourney. Just thinkin out loud on a slow day.

Season
GP
GS
PTS
PPG
FG
FGA
FG%
3PT*
3PTA*
3PT%*
FT
FTA
FT%
RPG
APG

NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA

I was a big fan of that team, but I think your dad's wrong about Nover vs Shaq.  I believe Shaq had about 30 points and 15 boards.

However, IU won that game pretty convincingly.   

I believe I'm remembering correctly, but I think one difference is that Nover played alongside Alan Henderson, so it was a true C/PF combo, where in our current system we have a 6'8" "center" playing in a 4-out/1- in system. Even defensively, Troy Williams is more of a "wing" in that he's not a paint protector or presence defensively in the paint.

I guess I should have been more clear...I mean from a defensive/rebounding stand point. Not offensively. I mean we got away with having a 6'8" guarding the other teams Center during that season.

I guess I should have been more clear...I mean from a defensive/rebounding stand point. Not offensively. I mean we got away with having a 6'8" guarding the other teams Center during that season.

I believe I'm remembering correctly, but I think one difference is that Nover played alongside Alan Henderson, so it was a true C/PF combo, where in our current system we have a 6'8" "center" playing in a 4-out/1- in system. Even defensively, Troy Williams is more of a "wing" in that he's not a paint protector or presence defensively in the paint.

Thats true, but Williams does have some size at 6'7, and obviously an extremely high vertical. So while he may be a natural wing, he is able to use his athleticism to battle for boards down there with some more natural bigs. 

I was a big fan of that team, but I think your dad's wrong about Nover vs Shaq. I believe Shaq had about 30 points and 15 boards.

However, IU won that game pretty convincingly.

but knight did the right thing towards the end of the game and started having us foul Shaq which was equivalent of a turnover

not at all accurate show my memory is off and funny as heck to because that is exactly what would happen to us lol

We are the masters of letting someone have a career night against us. Usually it's someone no one ever heard of. Back then at least he was already a big time player, right? ha!

Williams is a good rebounder, I was more referencing being an interior presence on both ends, which Williams really isn't. Both Henderson and Nover were interior presences on both ends. While both could knock down the mid-range jumper, they could both score from the block too (more Henderson than Nover). Both were good post defenders and Henderson was a decent shot blocker at the collegiate level.

Williams scores in the paint, but it's mainly done in transition and through penetration. He's a "perimeter 4", where Henderson was 6'9"-10" and a more "traditional 4".

Thats true, but Williams does have some size at 6'7, and obviously an extremely high vertical. So while he may be a natural wing, he is able to use his athleticism to battle for boards down there with some more natural bigs.

Williams is a good rebounder, I was more referencing being an interior presence on both ends, which Williams really isn't. Both Henderson and Nover were interior presences on both ends. While both could knock down the mid-range jumper, they could both score from the block too (more Henderson than Nover). Both were good post defenders and Henderson was a decent shot blocker at the collegiate level.

Williams scores in the paint, but it's mainly done in transition and through penetration. He's a "perimeter 4", where Henderson was 6'9"-10" and a more "traditional 4".

Ahh gotcha, I definitely agree. I think with Williams size and athleticism though we are definitely capable of getting away with him at the 4 spot, even if he isn't a natural 4. 

Completely agree. My point in bringing up Henderson/Williams was more that it's easier to get away with an undersized Center (Nover/Hanner) when you have a true PF. Williams is fine at the 4 because of our system and his length/athleticism, but it would be more ideal to have him paired with a 6'11 C. Think Watford/Zeller.

Watford was a "perimeter 4" like Williams, though not as athletic, but also good on the boards. It worked better because he was paired with a 6'11" Center in Zeller, while Williams is paired with Hanner who is more a 4 himself.

Ahh gotcha, I definitely agree. I think with Williams size and athleticism though we are definitely capable of getting away with him at the 4 spot, even if he isn't a natural 4.

Interesting conversation.

Loved watching Nover play----he was state high jump champion before coming to IU.

Shaq got his points---and "Hack-A-Shaq" may not have worked---but Nover battled and made him earn every point!

Very interesting about Nover being the state high jump champ in Indiana. I'll have to go back and try to find the state results that year to to see what he jumped but very impressive.