Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I listened to an interesting take this morning from Greeny... Greenberg was out, but the team was talking about how the landscape of college sports has changed, and how that may affect how fans react to "their" team. The majority of the "legendary" coaches are gone - dead or retired (Knight, Boeheim, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc)... so there is that loss of a "connection point"... and now with NIL and the transfer portal, we effectively have "free agency" in college sports - especially basketball and football... so in addition to losing the connection to the coaches, we are now seeing a loss of the connection to the players... and not knowing from season to season who will be where, it causes a major disconnect... 

The obvious flip side to that is the fact that I grew up a Hoosier fan, went to IU, and even after moving to Arizona 45 years ago, still consider Indiana my team... and assuming any of the Hoosier players (Malik, MM, Ware) transfer to another school, I would be interested in how they are doing, but would not switch my allegiance... but has this new landscape affected the level of my interest in the Hoosiers or is the current malaise rooted in Woodson, and the way this failed experiment has gone?

I guess I can see it, but curious about what others here think... 

This is depressing but the clock is ticking on college sports as we know it. Honestly, this is another one of the reasons I hope we move on from Woody now. I want to win while this sport is still the sport I grew up with. It's already changed so much, but NIL is nothing compared to what's coming. PAC 12 teams are joining next year. The tournament will be expanded to 90-something teams in the next few years. And there is essentially no way the NCAA can outmaneuver all of the existential threats they are facing in the courts. 

Soon players will be employees. After that, football will be all that matters. The big schools will form their own league, and they will gut the tournament to protect the big schools interests. 

Remember when the top european football clubs tried to form a super league and the outrage was so immediate that they had to scrap that plan? We really needed a moment like that, cause we all hate the way things are going and yet no one can step up and stop it. 

3 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I listened to an interesting take this morning from Greeny... Greenberg was out, but the team was talking about how the landscape of college sports has changed, and how that may affect how fans react to "their" team. The majority of the "legendary" coaches are gone - dead or retired (Knight, Boeheim, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc)... so there is that loss of a "connection point"... and now with NIL and the transfer portal, we effectively have "free agency" in college sports - especially basketball and football... so in addition to losing the connection to the coaches, we are now seeing a loss of the connection to the players... and not knowing from season to season who will be where, it causes a major disconnect... 

The obvious flip side to that is the fact that I grew up a Hoosier fan, went to IU, and even after moving to Arizona 45 years ago, still consider Indiana my team... and assuming any of the Hoosier players (Malik, MM, Ware) transfer to another school, I would be interested in how they are doing, but would not switch my allegiance... but has this new landscape affected the level of my interest in the Hoosiers or is the current malaise rooted in Woodson, and the way this failed experiment has gone?

I guess I can see it, but curious about what others here think... 

100%.  I check scores more than watch college games. At least in the NBA you know what you will have for a couple years.

22 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Seriously though, Ledlum is terrible. Do these coaches know what they are looking for when they scout?

Indiana has him as a primary target. Tenn wanted him, but realized he wouldn’t start. St. John’s wanted him. I watch 10 min of highlight packages and looked at his stats and knew exactly what he was. Baffling.

Woody’s system is so bad. He truly doesn’t understand the analytics. He will never be a big time college success without diametrically changing his systems. Not good.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

That is what happens when you recruit transfers because you don't have enough time to actually get to know these guys

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

100%.  I check scores more than watch college games. At least in the NBA you know what you will have for a couple years.

I use to watch whatever game was on that night but like tonight I have no desire to watch the UVA and VA Tech game.

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Va. Tech 4, UVA 2 -- 5 minutes in. 

40 points could win this! 

UVA has been struggling lately. They have one of the best shooters in the country but really have struggled to get him looks. 

33 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

43-21 Tech with 16 min to go.  Virginia had been playing better lately but not playing good tonight.   Desire to watch is high 

63-33 with 5 mins left. And the color guy positing that UVA’s defense has been a bigger problem than their offense. Sorry, no, if you’ve scored 33 points in 35 mins the offense is the problem. 

Arizona, even with a broke athletic department, extends Tommy Lloyd. No brainer. No coincidence that Gonzaga has slowly deteriorated some since he left. 

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Arizona, even with a broke athletic department, extends Tommy Lloyd. No brainer. No coincidence that Gonzaga has slowly deteriorated some since he left. 

Also read earlier today South Carolina working on an extension for Paris.   Scratch 2 more names off our candidate list

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Also read earlier today South Carolina working on an extension for Paris.   Scratch 2 more names off our candidate list

Lloyd was a hell of a call. Arizona’s, what, a top 10 job and they hooked up career assistant. Great job of identifying a fit. 

8 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

They play IUN (our Gary campus). That's just a few minutes from where I grew up -- took a couple summer classes there years and years ago. Didn't even know they played hoops. 

What part of Lake County?

FWIW, I think IUN started playing basketball 15-20 years ago.  Most of the players on their team come from the Chicago public leagues.  

22 minutes ago, Demo said:

63-33 with 5 mins left. And the color guy positing that UVA’s defense has been a bigger problem than their offense. Sorry, no, if you’ve scored 33 points in 35 mins the offense is the problem. 

That color guy is insane. They just won this weekend scoring 47 points…lol.  

Their defense wasn’t good tonight, but their offense has been disjointed the last few games. Not sure what’s going on other than he has some young guys and if beekman doesn’t play well they stall out. 

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Virginia only has 6 losses... Problem?

Lost to Wisconsinby 24, 41-65

Lost to Memphis by 23, 54-77

Lost to Notre Dame by 22, 54-76

Lost to NC State by 16, 60-76

Lost to Wake Forest by 19, 47-66

Lost to Pittsburgh by 11, 53-64

And... Just lost to Virginia Tech by 34, 41-75

This was always going to be a rebuilding year. They lost 4 starters and 5 guys (2 of them split time starting). 4 guys to graduation and 1 to the portal.  

Tough to be the type of program  that loses starters to the portal and still compete at the top of the ACC.