Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Incarte World - 74

Nebrasketball - 73

What has happened to the B1G since the challenge?

I don't know, but I do know that IU is better than 10th in the B1G. With Nebrasketball and scUM playing the way the have, we are at least 8th this year.

I'll ignore your Crean jab and look at the first sentence. After watching us and watching 5 of the 7 listed, I would be disappointed if we dropped any of those at home, minus NU who we only play in Lincoln. On the road, I think we can take 3 of the 5, we don't play at Minnesota or Michigan unless I missed them on my calendar. There's 9. Take care of business against the bottom feeders and that alone is 12-14ish B1G wins.

That, of course, is the optimist in me talking.

Disclaimer: I probably have some math/scheduling wrong in that post. Don't stone me.

I sort of feel that way too but it's honestly Crimson colored glasses. We've looked Horrible in games and stretches, and if I was a rival fan I would not be intimidated at all. Just nervous we'd get hot from 3. That's it. We have a punchers chance but we don't have the superior team to too many.

Teams are shooting 10-20 more FGs than us due to Off Rebounding and Turnovers and Crean is delusional. Did you hear him at the half the other night? Feigning confidence??? Maybe. Oblivious??? Maybe

Coach has FULL control of that. If guys don't play the way you expect, show them the pine. I have coached many sports on many levels. The bench teaches lessons quickly.

I have to disagree. Let me see if I can explain why:

Who has primary control over a players effort on and off the court? The player. They have full control.

What happens when the primary control fails? You have secondary controls in place, coaching decisions, that help support the desired event, hustle, until the primary control, player's effort level, is fixed.

This is just my outlook of sports and coaching. To say Crean has full control is too much of a stretch. But if the player isn't trying, and they don't make the adjustment themselves, then it comes down to his coaching decisions to fix that. If he is failing to do that, then both the player and coach have failed.

I have to disagree. Let me see if I can explain why:

Who has primary control over a players effort on and off the court? The player. They have full control.

What happens when the primary control fails? You have secondary controls in place, coaching decisions, that help support the desired event, hustle, until the primary control, player's effort level, is fixed.

This is just my outlook of sports and coaching. To say Crean has full control is too much of a stretch. But if the player isn't trying, and they don't make the adjustment themselves, then it comes down to his coaching decisions to fix that. If he is failing to do that, then both the player and coach have failed.

I suppose you can say that but Coach makes ultimate decisions. If players aren't doing what you want and you, as the coach, continues playing them you are at fault.

Other players lose respect for you as a coach because you are thought to be weak. Players may like you as a person for being nice, but to gain respect, you must hold your players fully accountable for your on and off the court expectations.

Anything less is a coaching failure.

Teams are shooting 10-20 more FGs than us due to Off Rebounding and Turnovers and Crean is delusional. Did you hear him at the half the other night? Feigning confidence??? Maybe. Oblivious??? Maybe

He knows. It's just finding a way to fix it. Rebounding out of a zone is tough, but there will be games where either a team is so bad at shooting, is so much bigger than us, or both that it will be absolutely necessary and some offensive boards will happen. It's just finding a way to limit them as much as possible.

Here are some quick B1G thoughts I have after seeing the Incarnate Word debacle.

-I love that we have only home and neutral court games before the B1G starts.  I would almost like to see a true road game before that though.  MSG wasn't exactly a hostile environment.

-After seeing what is going down in our conference so far, it puts even more pressure on us to win in conference this year.  ANY loss outside of Wisky could be viewed as a bad loss to the selection committee.  Home games are always important, but we need to steal as many as we can on the road.

-I hate UK and Louisville with a passion.  I hope Louisville kicks their butts.

Sadly this probably helps UK as Lyles may get more run but......

@AdamZagoria: Report: Kentucky’s Alex Poythress Suffered a Torn ACL http://t.co/Yf4pUQftNr

I know this is a UK vid, but boy do I wish our team had this type of brotherhood and bond amongst our teammates.  If troy and stan could bond the same way these UK guys did I'm sure our play would be exponentially better.

edit: i guess I could also tack on that, like many have said or figured out already... Cal really isn't that great of an X's and O's coach (hell, he might be worse than Crean), but whether its BS or real-talk, he gets his players to buy into the team concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-9Im76VH4Q