Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

6'4" Guard Nick Zeisloft joins Hoosiers

Im not solely using that as my argument for Z excelling here. But in those few games he looked like a vast improvement over players like Etherington and Hollowell, so thats definitely a plus.

Never said that was your only argument. I said it was yours, and others, prime argument for the hype. At least that is how you guys come off

Never said that was your only argument. I said it was yours, and others, prime argument for the hype. At least that is how you guys come off

Well I tend to base my opinions on players based on how they PLAY instead of just making a final judgement about them as a player and member of our team without really seeing them play like a lot on here tend to do haha

Well I tend to base my opinions on players based on how they PLAY instead of just making a final judgement about them as a player and member of our team without really seeing them play like a lot on here tend to do haha

We have three years of mediocrity to base his play off of. The Canada trip is great, but lets not act like it is the only basis for what we can and should be looking at for our expectations. We can look at the numbers from playing a middling role on an at best average team that plays in an average conference. Again the trip was great, but a handful of games shouldn't negate three years of basketball

We have three years of mediocrity to base his play off of. The Canada trip is great, but lets not act like it is the only basis for what we can and should be looking at for our expectations. We can look at the numbers from playing a middling role on an at best average team that plays in an average conference. Again the trip was great, but a handful of games shouldn't negate three years of basketball

I'll give you that credit. When I saw that we got him as a grad transfer and I looked at his stats from his last school, I was disappointed. But I did some snooping around and found out that his team at Illinois St was also a school that featured a fast subbing offense. They subbed in and out at a very fast pace. When I saw him play in a few of the games in Canada, I was very impressed by how he carried himself and how he played. Like I said, I think he is an improvement over several of the players we had on the team last year. the jury is still out on how he is, but if you have several coaches and insiders are hinting at him being a possible starter, that means something. I mean we are the ones sitting at home typing on a message board and they are getting paid to do their job with the team.

Wow---we are still beating this topic to death!  Everybody to your corners because obviously neither side is changing their mind!

Agree to disagree!

On starters---I see HMP then DD then Holt then April at the 5 with Troy at the 4 and 3 guards.  If Holt develops quickly we could go with HMP, DD, Troy and 2 guards depending on matchups. Against a smaller team I would not be shocked to see Crean trot out the Troy and 4 guards lineup for limited minutes.  It would be fast and fun to watch!

Idk what you're asking. Here's the source:

"Kwang on the premium forum writes: Alex, what is your best guess for a starting line-up and rotation?

Best guess for a starting lineup would be Ferrell, Blackmon Jr., Johnson, Williams and Mosquera-Perea with Nick Zeisloft, Emmitt Holt, Devin Davis and Stanford Robinson as the primary rotation players off the bench. It wouldn’t, however, surprise me to see Zeisloft starting over Johnson. Max Hoetzel would probably be the next name I’d toss into the mix for a rotation spot. — Alex Bozich"

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is very accurate

In the gym

Nick could easily slide in the starting lineup..coach on the floor..low turnovers

In the gym

That's what we saw in Canada and I was a big fan of it. If he can continue to knock down shots, that would be a great bonus.

As others noted, the concern over adding Nick was twofold: 1) we needed a serviceable big man the most and crean instead brought in another guard and 2) if you are going to ignore the need for a serviceable big man and bring in another guard, do it because we had the opportunity to bring in a stud game changer that we just couldn't pass up, like a JBJ type. He is neither a serviceable big nor a stud game changer. He is a role player and that would be fine if it weren't for this glaring hole we have upfront

As others noted, the concern over adding Nick was twofold: 1) we needed a serviceable big man the most and crean instead brought in another guard and 2) if you are going to ignore the need for a serviceable big man and bring in another guard, do it because we had the opportunity to bring in a stud game changer that we just couldn't pass up, like a JBJ type. He is neither a serviceable big nor a stud game changer. He is a role player and that would be fine if it weren't for this glaring hole we have upfront

Maybe Holt is the serviceable big man?   

What game changing guard or serviceable big men did we pass on to get Z?

This isn't supporting Crean adding Z, but for those saying we should have added a better big man, we tried, and failed. So Crean went after the best available and it sounds like Z is someone who can provide leadership and who can protect the ball, two major issues we had last year. Crean then went out and found Holt, he's no Anthony Lee, but he addresses our depth issue at the 5. While the results are initially disappointing to us all who hoped we would land an AntLee or Trevor Thompson, I think the coaching staff did a great job addressing team weaknesses with the last two scholarships.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

This isn't supporting Crean adding Z, but for those saying we should have added a better big man, we tried, and failed. So Crean went after the best available and it sounds like someone who can provide leadership and who can protect the ball, two major issues we had last year. Crean then went out and found Holt, he's no Anthony Lee, but he addresses our depth issue at the 5. While the results are initially disappointing to us all who hoped we would land an AntLee or Trevor Thompson, I think the coaching staff did a great job addressing team weaknesses with the last two scholarships.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I agree and from what we've heard and  what I've seen so far , albeit very little he will bring  leadership and toughness that looked to be lacking somewhat last season.

Big strong guard with a sweet stroke on top of it.

I was in shock when I heard we were looking at him but now I think he will be an asset to the team.

I agree and from what we've heard and  what I've seen so far , albeit very little he will bring  leadership and toughness that looked to be lacking somewhat last season.

Big strong guard with a sweet stroke on top of it.

I was in shock when I heard we were looking at him but now I think he will be an asset to the team.

I was very concerned as well, but I've learned to believe anything Crean says when it comes to guards haha.

I was very concerned as well, but I've learned to believe anything Crean says when it comes to guards haha.

Just wish he had that going with the bigs.Other than 2 high school All Americans who were surefire hits he's been woefully lacking there.

Basketball4IU confirms Bozich's thoughts which in turn mirror my guesses.

So, comparables

So-Yogi ---------Jr-Yogi. Advantage Jr. Yogi
Sr-Gordon------Fr-Blackmon. Advantage Blackmon
Sr-Sheehey-----Fr-Rojo Advantage Sheehey, but not by too much I hope
Fr-Troy----------So-Troy Advantage So. Troy
Fr-Vonleh-------Jr-Perea Advantage Vonleh. This is why Perea is so important this year

Fr-Stan----------So-Stan Advantage So-Stan
Jr-Etherington--Jr-Ziesloft Advantage Z
So-Hollowell----Fr-Holt ????????? Hard to be worse than Hollowells affect on the team
Fr-DD-----------So-DD Advantage So. DD
Sr-Howard------Fr-Hoetzel ?????? Probably Howard but different players. Much higher ceiling for MH. 10th man
Fr-Hartman-----So-Hartman Hopefully won't matter
So-Jurkin-------Fr-April Zero Affect.
Fr-Fischer-------Fr-Priller Equal impact

WO-Marlin/Wayer-----Burton/Ritchie Advantage, new guys!!!

Flip the order of Holt and DD on the depth chart, but this comparison gives me reason for promise! :)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I think the big difference in these comparisons is that this year we have more guys who can be relied upon for scoring on a frequent basis. Etherington, Gordon, Hollowell and Howard couldn't be counted upon to score on a regular basis. Their "replacements" (by your comparison) Blackmon, Zeisloft,and Hoetzel will be able to score on a regular basis. I also think that Rob Johnson will end up being more reliable this year than Sheehey was last year

I think the big difference in these comparisons is that this year we have more guys who can be relied upon for scoring on a frequent basis. Etherington, Gordon, Hollowell and Howard couldn't be counted upon to score on a regular basis. Their "replacements" (by your comparison) Blackmon, Zeisloft,and Hoetzel will be able to score on a regular basis. I also think that Rob Johnson will end up being more reliable this year than Sheehey was last year

I agreed until that statement. Rob may be more consistent but on a much lower level. Sheehey won us games. RoJo probably won't do that this year or even next year.