Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Cowboy

Can Indiana be a consistent winner under Coach Crean?

if we play 10 teams in the bottom 200 of the RPI each year, yeah we can probably win 16-19 games every year under Crean

I freaking hate existence right now

Well this upcoming year we are playing, arguably, one of the toughest schedules in cbb. Should be interesting.

[quote name="Andowen1990IU" post="72506" timestamp="1404132168"]Well this upcoming year we are playing, arguably, one of the toughest schedules in cbb. Should be interesting.[/quote] Should be lots of fun to watch. I'm excited to see how these young kids perform on the brighter stage against Louisville in NYC.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

[quote name="jurkinonthecourt" post="72510" timestamp="1404133937"]Should be lots of fun to watch. I'm excited to see how these young kids perform on the brighter stage against Louisville in NYC.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.[/quote]I think we will be better prepared for conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm going to wait until after this season to answer this question. Coach has my support for now even though I have been critical. He's the guy right and now and it's not going to change at the moment. I want to see what he does with this roster under the hot seat. What are you made of coach? We are all about to find out.

go ahead and prepare for another season where we turn it over on like 40% of our possessions

going to be getting our shots at the rim blocked approximately 45% of the time too

hopefully Glass lets us play in one of those non-NIT tournaments this time

Same arguments from the same people about the same freaking subject. Of course this has 9 pages. We haven't already gone over every little detail in other threads about Crean spanning 22 pages one hundred times before. This is absurd guys. Take a step back and look at how absurd this is. I'm all for open discussions but this dead horse is rotting and nearly bones by now and you guys keep whacking it with baseball bats. 

Same arguments from the same people about the same freaking subject. Of course this has 9 pages. We haven't already gone over every little detail in other threads about Crean spanning 22 pages one hundred times before. This is absurd guys. Take a step back and look at how absurd this is. I'm all for open discussions but this dead horse is rotting and nearly bones by now and you guys keep whacking it with baseball bats. 

But if we had Brad Stevens and hadn't lost to Syracuse.....  I kid!  I kid!!

[quote name="Andowen1990IU" post="72527" timestamp="1404142702"]don't forget basketball I.Q.[/quote] Only when talking about Indiana kids. No other state in the country has it.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

go ahead and prepare for another season where we turn it over on like 40% of our possessions

going to be getting our shots at the rim blocked approximately 45% of the time too

hopefully Glass lets us play in one of those non-NIT tournaments this time

So we're going to average like 30 points a game......

groundbreaking news!  An inside sauce of mine tells me that Crean and family loves Pizza Hut...  "It's a family favorite", said Crean, on multiple occasions.

If he would be a Papa Johns type of guy instead, we would no doubt be able to obtain a few more wins and get to the crust of the NCAA tourney this next season.  You can take this slice of information with a grain of salt, but no doubt that it's very saucy stuff.

[quote name="CampCrean" post="72523" timestamp="1404142217"]Same arguments from the same people about the same freaking subject. Of course this has 9 pages. We haven't already gone over every little detail in other threads about Crean spanning 22 pages one hundred times before. This is absurd guys. Take a step back and look at how absurd this is. I'm all for open discussions but this dead horse is rotting and nearly bones by now and you guys keep whacking it with baseball bats. [/quote]

That was an extremely detailed (and accurate) metaphor.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That was an extremely detailed (and accurate) metaphor.

nahh...in the real world, maggots and buzzards remove the problem, not add to it...

not that I'm calling anybody a maggot or buzzard around these parts... :biggrin:

[quote name="CampCrean" post="72523" timestamp="1404142217"]Same arguments from the same people about the same freaking subject. Of course this has 9 pages. We haven't already gone over every little detail in other threads about Crean spanning 22 pages one hundred times before. This is absurd guys. Take a step back and look at how absurd this is. I'm all for open discussions but this dead horse is rotting and nearly bones by now and you guys keep whacking it with baseball bats. [/quote]

I understand the frustration of dealing with anti Crean comments in non Crean threads but this thread is specifically for this discussion. If you think it is a dead horse then skip it but it is good to have because as the board grows we get new people weekly who have not participated and regular threads end up discussing this.

There has been great discussion here by several and it is good to vent and see other perspectives. As long as it stays respectful then why limit this.

After four years of watching Crean's IU teams, I still don't see what hold he or his teams have on the masses, and can't understand their willingness to accept mediocrity. It's as if the pathogen that allows Purdue and Illinois fans to think highly of a .500 season has spread to Bloomington, and after four years of gestation, has given way to a full blown case of indifference.

Crean can't coach, and he has proven that beyond any reasonable doubt. A great coach, hell, even a "good" coach, can take average talent and make it very good at something, (Knight made a HOF career out of doing that). Crean's teams are generally average across the board. They don't have the talent to hang with the Kentucky's of the world and don't possess the continuity to compete with the Duke's, Michigan States and Louisville's. And Crean will never, ever be accused of "out coaching" Calipari, Izzo, Krzyzewski or Pitino.

Of course, none of this really matters. To too many, his ability to lead us back from basketball oblivion after the Sampson debacle is reason enough to grant an indefinite pass and a ready excuse for "average" seasons. "We're no longer the IU everyone remembers", "The Big Ten is really tough", "Kids naturally transfer at high rates", "Just wait until the next class get's here".

Such are the symptoms of this malady that has infiltrated Bloomington.

After four years of watching Crean's IU teams, I still don't see what hold he or his teams have on the masses, and can't understand their willingness to accept mediocrity. It's as if the pathogen that allows Purdue and Illinois fans to think highly of a .500 season has spread to Bloomington, and after four years of gestation, has given way to a full blown case of indifference.

Crean can't coach, and he has proven that beyond any reasonable doubt. A great coach, hell, even a "good" coach, can take average talent and make it very good at something, (Knight made a HOF career out of doing that). Crean's teams are generally average across the board. They don't have the talent to hang with the Kentucky's of the world and don't possess the continuity to compete with the Duke's, Michigan States and Louisville's. And Crean will never, ever be accused of "out coaching" Calipari, Izzo, Krzyzewski or Pitino.

Of course, none of this really matters. To too many, his ability to lead us back from basketball oblivion after the Sampson debacle is reason enough to grant an indefinite pass and a ready excuse for "average" seasons. "We're no longer the IU everyone remembers", "The Big Ten is really tough", "Kids naturally transfer at high rates", "Just wait until the next class get's here".

Such are the symptoms of this malady that has infiltrated Bloomington.

Eh, Bob Knight's best teams were all stacked with talent.

I think Crean is a wildly mediocre coach but a heck of a salesman that manages to fool people, I think last year's team was poorly coached among it's other problems, but let's not act like Bob Knight never had much talent when his best teams were loaded.

You keep missing the point. It's extremely simple. I don't give a **** about meaningless rankings or about being the top team in conference. If you aren't hanging a banner you aren't on top. Being ranked #1 during the season is equivalent to getting a participation trophy when you were little. It's nice to have but means nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Some of you guys are just plain silly

"indefinite pass"? no way, Jose. No one has said or agrees with that. He deserves time towards greatness, but not much more of it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners