Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
maxwell

(2014) PF Anthony Lee to OSU

[quote name="Rayl" post="55736" timestamp="1396122064"]Well, it's a Tom Crean team, so we shouldn't expect a great defense no matter what. We're going to lack size. But take some solace in the fact that the advanced numbers suggest Lee is an OK defender at best and was terrible this year. It is at least possible that Hanner and Devin can be better than he would have been for us.[/quote]

I do think that a lineup of

Yogi
Stan
Troy
Devin
Hanner

Can hold it's own defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I disagree. It is much easier to hide a minus backcourt defender in your team defense than it is to hide an undersized frontcourt defender Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Except it works as a whole unit, not backcourt vs frontcourt.  You can scheme to hide one weakness on D, at least to some extent, not multiple weaknesses.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="55739" timestamp="1396122311"]Except it works as a whole unit, not backcourt vs frontcourt. You can scheme to hide one weakness on D, at least to some extent, not multiple weaknesses.[/quote] Absolutely and that's the problem we face. My argument is simply given the choice between an undersized frontcourt and undersized backcourt I'll take the undersized backcourt every time. The issues we face next year are driven by our lack of size down low and not JBJ Stan and Yogi being small Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah it hurt losing Noah and not getting Lee, but IMO our best team offense was ran late in the season with Noah on the bench and Davis on the court. Maybe a small lineup is what this team needs to click offensively. It will definitely hurt on defense, but I think DD can gaurd a man bigger than himself.

Not good news. CTC can't afford to keep bringing in large Freshman classes (unless he gets all 5 stars like you know who, and even he keeps a good non-Freshman or two on the team). Basketball has greater interest at IU than O$U, but winning has to be important for most of these guys. Maybe we should get more earlier visits for some of the recruits when they are close to the signing period.

I thought Crean going to visit was a bad sign..  The last vist stuff is a waaaaaay over rated.  The moment Lee said we were a frontrunner, we should have tried to get a visit.  First, second, third.. whatever it takes to get him here.  

Also, when Lee said we were a frontrunner, many ran with it like we were in the lead.  I read it as we were one of the top choices.  Not necessarily the frontrunner. 

My take is that if Lee wasn't even willing to make a visit to IU, then he wasn't that interested anyway. More power to him and on to the next possible big recruit to fill the need. Plus, although it would've been great to have Lee at IU, I'm not sure he would've been the difference maker we need. So I won't lose any sleep over him not choosing IU.

[quote name="iuhoosierfan25" post="55691" timestamp="1396117672"]Well I would have to agree with that, I thought he could've contributed more for sure. And thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Like ccg said, welcome to the board. Hope we will get to be a more positive board next season! Lol

Sent from my DROID4 using BtownBanners mobile app

Absolutely and that's the problem we face. My argument is simply given the choice between an undersized frontcourt and undersized backcourt I'll take the undersized backcourt every time. The issues we face next year are driven by our lack of size down low and not JBJ Stan and Yogi being small Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would argue the size down low is hand in hand with the small back court.  Since we'll (assumingly) be starting Yogi/Blackmon/Stan at the 1-3, then we're forced to play Troy at the 4 and someone else undersized at the 5.

He could bring Stan off the bench and start Yogi and Blackmon at the 1 and 2 (Blackmon will start, so we should go ahead and pencil him in), then we could put Troy at the 3.  I don't see this scenario though on two fronts:  if Troy looks like a soph Vic (and we really shouldn't assume he will, we don't know if he has that work ethic) he'll have an unreliable midrange and have no business shooting a 3, and Davis would have to make an awfully big jump to be worthy of starting at the 4.  I'm assuming Hanner starting at the 5, but I'm not real comfortable with that since Hanner wasn't that good defensively last year.

I think the first scenario is more likely, which means a small front court moves Troy to the 4 and making us a small lineup.

Either way, we are in dire need of some front court depth and not these 4 year projects Crean has looked at.  Unfortunately those projects are the only ones left.

[quote name="JaybobHoosier" post="55764" timestamp="1396129331"]Like ccg said, welcome to the board. Hope we will get to be a more positive board next season! Lol

Sent from my DROID4 using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote]

Yeah let's hope so lol thanks for the welcome