Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
maxwell

(2014) PF Anthony Lee to OSU

We don't need an amazing big man. We just need a big body that can rebound and defend and maybe score a couple times a game IMO.

This one hurts though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

For what it's worth, Hanner had a better total rebounding percentage and defensive rating than Lee this season.***

***There may be some sample size issues there. I'm going to chose to ignore them in my head for a day or two.

We don't need an amazing big man. We just need a big body that can rebound and defend and maybe score a couple times a game IMO. This one hurts though.Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We had that in spades this year and where did it get us. We've seen what Noah said. Its not surprising for Crean to miss out on Lee and most others. My suggestion would be to get Hanner to do what you stated and then see if Jurkin can actually be a contributor next season. If Peter cannot, then why does he still have a scholarship? These project bigs have not worked out so far at IU for Crean and underutilization has been the theme for the 2 blue chip centers. Now compare how many NBA big men Matta has coached and its easy to see how we didn't even get a visit.

[quote name="schoosier" post="55698" timestamp="1396118744"]We had that in spades this year and where did it get us. We've seen what Noah said. Its not surprising for Crean to miss out on Lee and most others. My suggestion would be to get Hanner to do what you stated and then see if Jurkin can actually be a contributor next season. If Peter cannot, then why does he still have a scholarship? These project bigs have not worked out so far at IU for Crean and underutilization has been the theme for the 2 blue chip centers. Now compare how many NBA big men Matta has coached and its easy to see how we didn't even get a visit.[/quote]

And I guarantee Matta explained used this against us in his pitch.

[quote name="Rayl" post="55703" timestamp="1396119198"]Lee on why: "It felt right," Lee said after visiting Ohio State on Friday. "It's the right place for me. I was watching the games last night with the players and we were all talking about what we could do next season."

[url="http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10694213/temple-owls-transfer-anthony-lee-play-ohio-state-buckeyes"]http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10694213/temple-owls-transfer-anthony-lee-play-ohio-state-buckeyes[/url][/quote]

If he goes to IU first he commits to IU.
If he goes to UL first he commits to UL.
If he goes to IsU first he commits to ISU
If he goes to ND first he... Haha yea there was zero chance he was going to commit to ND

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="Rayl" post="55703" timestamp="1396119198"]Lee on why: "It felt right," Lee said after visiting Ohio State on Friday. "It's the right place for me. I was watching the games last night with the players and we were all talking about what we could do next season."

[url="http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10694213/temple-owls-transfer-anthony-lee-play-ohio-state-buckeyes"]http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10694213/temple-owls-transfer-anthony-lee-play-ohio-state-buckeyes[/url][/quote]

Also found this funny... He's only going to OSU Because Temple doesn't have his graduate degree he's looking for right? So Ohio state had his intended grad degree. This article should only be about that :)

Gotta Love the NCAA rules haha

I felt great about our chances to get Lee at first. Once the successful and healthy basketball programs threw their names in the hat I figured we lost him. Hate to think this but after our terrible season and the players leaving, not sure IU is much of a choice for any of the top recruits or transfers in the country. Where does IU recruiting for next year and beyond go from here? It is beginning to look like next year is Crean's last at Indiana unless he can pull off a miracle on the court. It's also scary to consider who leaves and/ or transfers after next year. Uugghh..

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="55705" timestamp="1396119474"]If he goes to IU first he commits to IU.
If he goes to ND first he... Haha yea there was zero chance he was going to commit to ND

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Yep. I think it was an instant gratification thing. This sucks.

When Crean was hired here and everyone left and got booted all the coaches including Webber at UI said "IU would suck". And we did for three years so this worked against us. Crean could say it wasn't his fault the cards were stacked against me and I never knew it was gonna be this bad. Six years later he sould have built us back up to the point where he should be the negative recruiter. He can't and that's all on him because its his program now. No Sampson to blame or Knight fans, the bs excuses are reaching deaf ears. And its about time.

If he goes to IU first he commits to IU.

Quote. I don't know. I'm thinking this was pretty much a done deal before the visit. I think that would explain Crean's rushing off for a surprise in-home visit and the subliminal tweets. My guess is that when OSU was eliminated from the tournament, Matta went hard after Lee. Matta won. Crean rushed off in a desperate attempt to save the situation and got pissy when it didn't work as he tends to do.

That's my theory.

To be fair Matta has been at OSU for 10 years and by my count has put 4 bigs into the NBA - Oden (1 year), Koufos (1 year), Mullens (1 year), and Sullinger (2 years). Crean has been at IU 6 years and Vonleh will be his second into the NBA. So it's not like there is a massive difference in this respect.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="55721" timestamp="1396120281"]We'll probably be playing 3 players under 6'4, defense will be awful.[/quote]

If our defense is bad it won't be because we're starting Yogi, JBJ AND Stan

If our defense is bad it won't be because we're starting Yogi, JBJ AND Stan

... That isn't going to help anything. For one JBJ is already being labeled as an average defender at the high school level, Big Ten is a step up. Our defense will suffer from starting 3 guys that small

[quote name="KingPG21" post="55727" timestamp="1396121087"]... That isn't going to help anything. For one JBJ is already being labeled as an average defender at the high school level, Big Ten is a step up. Our defense will suffer from starting 3 guys that small[/quote]

Our defense will suffer because we have to give major minutes to Troy and Devin at the 4/5.

Yogi and Stan are both plus defenders and the size down low is a much bigger concern than our size on the wings.

Our defense will suffer because we have to give major minutes to Troy and Devin at the 4/5.

Yogi and Stan are both plus defenders and the size down low is a much bigger concern than our size on the wings.

And JBJ is at best gonna be an average defender at this level immediately. If anything he'll be a minus defender at this level from the beginning. Having someone who can't defend his position on the wing is going to lead to just as many, and more than likely more, issues at this level than are two guys who are giving up size down low

[quote name="KingPG21" post="55733" timestamp="1396121605"]And JBJ is at best gonna be an average defender at this level immediately. If anything he'll be a minus defender at this level from the beginning. Having someone who can't defend his position on the wing is going to lead to just as many, and more than likely more, issues at this level than are two guys who are giving up size down low[/quote] I disagree. It is much easier to hide a minus backcourt defender in your team defense than it is to hide an undersized frontcourt defender Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And JBJ is at best gonna be an average defender at this level immediately. If anything he'll be a minus defender at this level from the beginning. Having someone who can't defend his position on the wing is going to lead to just as many, and more than likely more, issues at this level than are two guys who are giving up size down low

Well, it's a Tom Crean team, so we shouldn't expect a great defense no matter what. We're going to lack size. But take some solace in the fact that the advanced numbers suggest Lee is an OK defender at best and was terrible this year. It is at least possible that Hanner and Devin can be better than he would have been for us.