Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KelleyHoosh

Who would you hire to replace CTC?

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Danny Manning is the guy I would be most interested in.

-Played under Larry Brown

-Coached under Bill Self

-Phenomenal coach of post players.

-As one of the greatest to ever play the college game, he would bring instant credibility with recruits.

-In only his second year as a head coach, he has Tulsa in the dance for the first time in a decade. He's not doing it with another coach's recruits either. His team is mostly sophomores that he brought in.

Laugh all you want. Talk about lack of a resume. I truly believe that there is a very great chance that Manning is one of the next great coaches.

I'm intrigued enough to watch his team perform in the dance.

That isn't true from what I hear. They just hadn't come to contract agreement, when IU decided to bring in Crean.

Probably need to quote the post you are answering. But assume you are referring to Bennett and IU. Heard it both ways, who knows.

[quote name="HoosierReb01" post="48425" timestamp="1395003405"]Probably need to quote the post you are answering. But assume you are referring to Bennett and IU. Heard it both ways, who knows.[/quote]

It should be noted that at time of the Crean hire he was a better candidate than Bennett based on resume and pedigree as coach.

If UVa loses in sweet 16 will people still clamor for Bennett or will they gloss over that part of his resume? They've had a great year and I think Bennett is a good coach but if our biggest gripe with Crean is his ability to get the most out of his team in tourney this seems important.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It should be noted that at time of the Crean hire he was a better candidate than Bennett based on resume and pedigree as coach.

If UVa loses in sweet 16 will people still clamor for Bennett or will they gloss over that part of his resume? They've had a great year and I think Bennett is a good coach but if our biggest gripe with Crean is his ability to get the most out of his team in tourney this seems important.

The excuse will be he is at UVA and he is being held back by something out of his control that he wouldn't be held back at IU.

Cant buy out Crean. Replacing an assistant is by far the best option here. Influence from within. Fife or Lewis as an assistant makes sense. We can have all the threads in the world about who we would like to replace Crean and while the topic is worthy of discussion, in reality it isn't happening. I choose to think about something that actually could happen. Replace an assistant to make it crystal clear that things better change quickly or we will buyout the first chance we can.

I've clearly expressed my feelings but in the interest of this discussion i will throw out this realistic and very good option:

Ben Howland...thoughts?

Mind..blown. I'd love the idea, but would want some demonstration that he would be a little more in-control of the players than it seems he was the last few years at UCLA.

I think I'm with you thought - I'm not actually interested in changing coaches this year. If we don't make the tourney next year, I would probably be more open to the idea. I just think it's fun to speculate, to be honest.

I think we should make a run for jay wright at Villanova. Pretty good tourney resume and I could really see him leaving nova for the right job.

I thought there was an attempt at Wright, but he backed off. Who knows.

Marshall from Wichita St. would be a great candidate. I doubt we could get a top coach to come here.

Someone could throw out Crean's entire resume under a different name and everyone would say yeah we should totally hire that guy!

I wouldn't be.  15 years as a head coach, and has fewer conference championships than Mike Davis?  1 Final Four and not getting particularly close again?  90+% of his career spent wallowing in so-so?

Even taking away the name Tom Crean that doesn't sound like a coach that should be at a program like IU.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="48583" timestamp="1395010137"]I wouldn't be. 15 years as a head coach, and has fewer conference championships than Mike Davis? 1 Final Four and not getting particularly close again? 90+% of his career spent wallowing in so-so?

Even taking away the name Tom Crean that doesn't sound like a coach that should be at a program like IU.[/quote]

You deleted the beginning of my post where I said cherry pick stats to make your candidate sound good.

Even so I'd take Crean over Paulus/Fife/Lansing who are all mentioned on this thread